Stalking Binos on a Budget

Guest Stacka

ok as you all know, I'm the tightest man in NATO. I simply can't afford £2k on a set of high end Binoculars.

So with that in mind, can any one suggest a pair of good quality Binos suitable for stalking, that means I'm not going to have to sell my body.

Cheers,

In my experience, when it comes to optics, the saying 'you buy what you pay for' has never been truer...indeed, you'll hear that brand X is fantastic, no need to pay for all this euro optics crap, and similar opinions...but, come dusk, in the shadow, you see a shape...the "Euro optics" will tell you it's the animal you're looking for, the brand X will tell you there may be a deer there...and then you know what you paid for...you don't need two kidneys...

Over to you ;)

Best wishes

Finman

My cheapest set were s/h 8x30 slc's, about £400 at the time, fantastic.

Have since upgraded to 8.5x42 el's.

Your binoculars are the thing that you will use the most, and get you your deer (or the right deer at least). Buy once, dont cry.

£600 should get you some grade 1 7x42 slc's, you would do a lot worse than that.

If your using your swaro scope, you need bins equal or better.

Another thing to consider, Dont go more than 10 power, and only go to 10 if you think that assessing head quality is something you might get into later ( if your in ddm you only need to find and sex them i presume (presumption on my part there, no offence, presuming that ddm is a numbers thing and not management for head quality, im sure someone will correct if im wrong!))

Iv'e stuck with 8.5's, found that 10 didnt give me good enough view of heads,i use a spotter for that, or the riflescope if im not out looking with the spotter.

Barr and Stroud are a good bino. I have a pair they were around two hundred quid, can't fault them too be honest. Made in UK too.

Other option if your lucky is coming across an older pair of Leica or zeiss on ebay or forums, friend of mine managed to get a pair of Leica range finder ones for 600quid on ebay!!! Jammy git.

All the best with search.

CZV

ok as you all know, I'm the tightest man in NATO. I simply can't afford £2k on a set of high end Binoculars.

So with that in mind, can any one suggest a pair of good quality Binos suitable for stalking, that means I'm not going to have to sell my body.

Cheers,

Due to lack of funds I stalked for years with cheap binos. I would rate this as one of the biggest kit mistakes I have ever made. Moving to quality binos was like someone turning a light on. For the first time I could spy deer before the stalker saw them. ~£1k will get you a good pair of Swarovski or Leica.

Regards

JCS

I used to have a set of zeiss 8x30 jena's which were quite good in woodland, you can usually get a nice set for less than £100, I also have a set of 8x42 steiners which were £150 and I have a set of 10x42 nikula.

Glass wise the steiners are better, but I find the nikula fit my face better and are more comfortable to use, if you can, try before you buy.

I am however about to buy another set of zeiss binos

ex- warsaw pact 7 x40 wide angles made by IOR. I got several pairs off alibaba.com for around 200 euro each. Built like a T54 tank. Reviews available on the web, especially by Holger Merlitz and on one of the us sniper sites

IOR 7x40 BGA, made to a Zeiss design, heavy but bulletproof, though not the best for a day out on foot on the hill as they give me neckache after 5 or 6 hours.

They may be OK, but they are quite old as they're Eastern European DDR from the Zeiss Jena factory. Lense technology & coating have moved on since then.

You can send them to optirep or glasgow binocular repairs and have them Serviced and remanufactured for about £100, apparently it transforms what were good parts assembled to a budget into a very useable pair of binos. I have i set from my late father in law that i mean to get done to give to "number 1 son". Very light and quite nice but not gas purged or waterproof.

Archived