Borden Timberline 7x57

Tikka 260

Something a bit different for the Forum, not being a "Tacticool" rifle in any way, but it might be of interest to some of the Guys.

Its been a long time not so much in the making, but more in the acquisition of the parts from the USA, which we all know is a royal PITA these days.

Essentially its a Borden Timberline action in CM, with a LW 22" CM barrel 9 twist, Jewel trigger, Williams Bottom Metal, Talley /Borden Mounts, topped off with a Swarovski 4-12 Z4i scope.

The metalwork is courtesy of our very own Ronin, thanks Andy for your patience and ability. The stock is by Gary Cane, styled on a traditional Rigby/English form, and is hand oil finished out of a plank of Black Walnut. I picked the plank, Gary did the rest and put the whole thing together at his workshop up in Norfolk.

I picked it up on Wednesday this week, and took it to the range this afternoon. It definitely shoots better than I can, as you can see from the first shot of the 3. Will the deer notice the error? Probably not.

I've got it going with Norma brass, H414, Nosler 140 ABs, Fed GM210 primers, and it seems to work OK , and without a lot of load development involved. I'll most likely try to refine it in the fullness of time, but for the moment that load will do for the Fallow.

Pros: Build quality, which is evident in the end results, and the balance of the rifle. It will be a great stalking rifle, of that I am already certain.

Cons: Build time, due to ITAR nonsense and non availability in UK of the parts.

Compromises: Due to the non availability of decent quality and appropriate magazine systems for Remington clone actions, we ended up with a traditional drop box. I would have had a detachable magazine, but thats just personal preference on my part.

Recommends: Both parties involved in the painstaking research for the "bits" and for bringing the idea to reality. Gary Canes craftsmanship is of the highest order.

So: a few pics?

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

IMG_0680.jpgIMG_0681.jpgIMG_0682.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

No pics of the invisible cap, 'cos its invisible .

Thanks again to Andy and Gary, all credit to both of you.

A thing of beauty. That's why I like my Parker Hale. Light weight woodland stalker. When I get some spare cash I'll redo my Parker.

Well done to you sir.

May you have many a years shooting with it.

Gorgeous! Heirloom quality. Thank you for sharing.

ft

Thanks for posting this Peter.

Probably the finest rifle I've had a hand in putting together.

It looks exactly how I envisaged it as a whole when you gave me the spec - though the stock is stunning, Gary does do fine work (I wish I could turn my hand to stocktaking as well.….)

I hope it serves you well for a very long time.

Stunner and a great calibre/cartridge! Try RL19 with the 140s and a ccibr2 primer, I've had spectacular results both in accuracy and terminal ballistics. Similarly, 139gn Interlocks work very well with the same combination.

Best wishes

Finman

What a loverly rifle, there is still nothing to compare to blued metal and fine wood.

That Sir is what 'custom' rifles are about - you end up with something that both works and is a pleasure to own.

Very nice indeed.

T

Just curious

Did you not consider using a military or civil Mauser 98 action as starting block ?

Were you worried that it might not shoot as tight as an American custom action ?

There are, I understand only two commercially made "modern" Mauser 98 actions available, one from Germany, the other made in the UK - both very expensive to buy (in excess of twice the price of the Borden action)

There would be no benefit in using a secondhand Mauser (and I've rebarrelled many, so speak from experience) some may shoot, some are not worth bothering with and frankly, most are clunky to cycle, have "difficult triggers" it would have been a lottery to use one and did not fit into the original design spec anyway.

Classic British Stalker lines with none of the problems - the Borden action fitted the criteria for a precision base for the build and the components work very well together.

Incidentally, I had a brand new UK built Mauser 98 (275 Rigby) in my hands a few months ago that was in excess of 10k, it came to me because the floor plate wouldn't open properly, the slings swivels were not aligned and several other niggles that the owner wanted sorting out by me rather than returning to the maker whom he had lost confidence in.

The Borden is a far better base for a custom built stalker in my view - may not suit everyone, but its an elegant rifle that shoots and that the owner is more than satisfied with.

Just a note of appreciation for all your positive and kind comments, - OK its NOT and was never intended to be a replica of a 100+ year old design of rifle, simply a +100 year old calibre that works better than can be imagined, and which in my humble opinion still works today as well as it ever did. I'm very much looking forward to using it for its intended purpose, and I am sure that it will excel. It is a stalking rifle made with modern components, which after all was only what Paul Mauser and John Rigby were doing at the start of the last century, and I am so glad that they did.

The real pleasure is that it cycles very smoothly, and the stock that was made to fit me and my hand dimensions somehow reduces recoil to nothing for all practical purposes. Not that the calibre is a hard recoiling beast in the first place!

The whole package is well balanced, cheek weld is perfect for me, and NO , it will not be used from a bipod or with a moderator.

Thanks again to Andy and Gary, who made it happen.

So, do you have two of these or am I confusing you with someone else Tikka260?? :) both stunners ;)

Best wishes

Finman

Finman

I have this Borden Timberline 7x57 recently received, and the Borden Alpine 260.

The confusion may arise from the Tikka695/McWoody in 275 Rigby calibre that I still have, and will probably be up for sale in the near future. Absolutely great rifle, V accurate, but I don't need 2 in virtually the same calibre.

We shall see "How The Mop Flops" before I dispose of it.

ATB

Peter

Well, there is nothing better than having two good things, perhaps having three tops it ;) it is a fantastic and underrated cartridge in any guise...keep them both and spoil yourself, the rest of us are only jealous!

Best wishes

Finman

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this post as having just seen the images, it made me smile.

Enjoy

Archived