Finally got out on the foxes

CliveWard

Hi All,

After all this rain over the past few weeks, we finally got out after the foxes.

The main reason was to do a bit of videoing of the night vision unit for the website so once that was in the can, then the proper work could begin.

We use a roof mounted wireless IR camera for spotting, so no need to waive lamps about, just trundle around in the warm watching the monitor which I must say is a very efficient way of doing things. Next week it should be upgraded to a thermal imager :D along with fitting transmitters inside the night vision add ons so that whoever is not shooting can watch the through scope view on the monitor without a tangle of wires.

We finally got onto one that was shootable after doing all the videoing. My oppo gave me the range info as it's his ground at 150 yards....it looked a bit further than that but hey ho I got down to work and held level but to the left for the wind and got a better target presentation with a quick squeak and fired. The airtime and low strike reaction from the fox immediately indicated it was considerably further out than 150 yards. A quick follow up with an adjusted hold finished the job.

Back for tea and medals we reviewed the shot with the help of google maps and measured it to 280 yards :blink:

Luckily the 36 gr Barnes Varmint Grenades are exiting the muzzle at a handy 3700 fps in the .223 so the holds aren't massive, but still on the edge of what I'm happy with at night.

The ranging faux pas was a combination of relying on someone else and using almost twice the magnification in the scope as I would normally use (to get those nice videos) so I was seeing a fox that to my mind looked about the usual size for 150 yards.

Cheers

Clive

Well done, Clive - 285 yards is far from a shabby shot at night! I'd be interested to know what you're using for the roof-mount camera? I've got a thermal I could put up there, but it's so big that I'm reluctant to do so - even though it'd see a fox in the next county!

Well done, Clive - 285 yards is far from a shabby shot at night! I'd be interested to know what you're using for the roof-mount camera? I've got a thermal I could put up there, but it's so big that I'm reluctant to do so - even though it'd see a fox in the next county!

Hi Paddy,

Good to hear from you again! I've been 'off' forums for a few years so it's always good to see old faces.

The camera is an E700 from Sure24 modified to accept a CS mount lens and then fitted with a variable zoom, mounted in a fairly simple 3D printed enclosure to keep the rain off the camera lens with a 2.4G transmitter. Illumination is from a 170 LF with IR filter as my mate already had this and the roof remote for it, so the camera just fits to that.

Cheers

Clive

Nice work, if you do a lot of night work you soon learn to judge distance, as we all know everything looks a lot different at night ;)

Good shooting Gaz

I'm out tonight but it's blowing a gale at the min

:( but should be good for bunny bashing as they can't hear the kobota coming :)

Hi Gaz,

Yes my kung fu was indeed weak last night. :blush:

That's why usually I try to make it as idiot proof as possible. Fast flat rifle and mag range to suit so if it's too far the mag won't allow me to place the shot on a small target.

Cheers

Clive

Nice work, if you do a lot of night work you soon learn to judge distance, as we all know everything looks a lot different at night ;)

Good shooting Gaz

I'm out tonight but it's blowing a gale at the min

:( but should be good for bunny bashing as they can't hear the kobota coming :)

Hi Simon,

On the Rabbit video it's a cheapo 3-12x44 SWAT sidewheel scope using our small WT20IR illuminator.

On the long range fox video it's an MTC Mamba 4-16x50 with NM X-Searcher IR with 2 batteries.

Drop me an e-mail with what scopes you have and I can give you some advice as to what you need to make up the kit.

We don't have demo kit on these but the distance selling regs effectively give you 2 weeks home trial.

Cheers

Clive

Archived