HID lamps?

fivehole

Had a Lightforce 240 for 1 week, then sent it back. Extremely bright, but took around 30s to reach full brightness. Thats an age when you're on a fox. At initial switch on it was about as bright as an enraged glow worm.

Had a Lightforce 240 for 1 week, then sent it back. Extremely bright, but took around 30s to reach full brightness. Thats an age when you're on a fox. At initial switch on it was about as bright as an enraged glow worm.

that was one of the things that I was concerned about. thanks for the info.

Build one yourself!

The car/mc types are full power on the spot, has to be on a vehicle!.

http://www.dx.com/p/h3-35w-2800lm-4300k-white-light-car-hid-xenon-headlight-w-ballasts-kit-9-16v-304699

They've got better over the last few years then..... I converted a couple of LF170's and once warmed up they were very bright but there was still the lag... which may not be a bad thing in practice. Stick a red filter on and they weren't much better than a standard LF.... the real big improvement was they run a lot, lot cooler than a halogen and use less juice meaning you'll get more out of a battery pack.

My m a t e in Scotland has a LF170 HID and he'd noticed the foxes were a lot less spooked by the HID than the halogen... I'd agree with that in the month I was up there. Must be the different colours in the halogen spectrum compared to the HID. I haven't tried an IR filter on the HID but I've got a feeling that they don't work well.... a bit like filtering a white LED doesn't work as well as a dedicated coloured LED.

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

Not sure about the 30 second to full brightness as I use one and its a max of 10 seconds and sometimes shorter if its already warm.The beam is a lot cleaner than the conventional Lightforce and I've been experimenting with an amber filter which comes out with a tinge of green which seems to work well and has a longer range than using a filter with a halogen

Pic of my converted LF170.

The bulb holder is turned out of nylon and designed so the bulb element sits at the same height as the original and the electrics sit in a 90p storage box from wilkinsons.........sourcing the 4-core cable was a bit of a pain but I found a company near Hatfield who gave me a length for a biscuit tin donation. :)

Someone on the Hunting Life forum 'claimed' to be able to variable dim HID's but he never responded to any pm's and stopped posting anything. <_<

SAM_0947_zps21187b06.jpg

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

Archived