fac question

nearly there

It shouldn't do, and your firearms department aren't following the HO guidance. If they try it then speak to one of the governing bodies, BASC would be my choice.

Guide on Firearms Licensing Law June 2014, section 10.59

A fee is payable only in respect of variations which increase the number of firearms to which the certificate relates

and more damning;

Guide on Firearms Licensing Law June 2014, section 20.3

No fee is payable on variation:
a) if the total number of firearms to which the certificate relates is not increased;
b ) in respect of amended or variation of conditions;
c) in respect of ammunition alone; or
d) when a firearm certificate is renewed at the same time.

Phone your licensing office and ask.If they say there is a fee payable,then either draw their attention to the

guidance as in other posts,or check with eg BASC/similar ,if a member.

The guidlines use the term 'firearm',but be aware that FAC list (In section 1,(i) 'Firearms possessed or authorised...' items such as moderators,or spare barrels,essentially as 'items' ;and similarly in (ii) 'Firearms authorised...' )

I think ,therefore, that asking for either of those (moderator,spare /switch barrel) in addition to any so possessed/authorised already,would be considered an increase in the number of firearms,and would attract a variation fee."Firearm" has clearly acquired a wider meaning than just 'rifle'.

But a change in 2 "Ammunition including expanding...." seems immune from such a variation fee...ask your FLO.( It will need 'good reason' of course.)

If you are applying for a variation for another 'firearm' (s) there won't be an (secondary) additional fee for ammunition variation.

I would think that "No fee is payable on variation: ...c) in respect of ammunition alone;" is pretty clear and it is the ammunition that is the issue here.

Agreed-see my first sentence.

Just thought it worthwhile to mention that words can have more/less inclusive meanings ( for 'firearm' on FAC,as indicated),as a point of information,related to the 'variation' issue-which will no doubt come up again. Perhaps slightly less often,for any prospective applicant who reads this. And maybe help reduce 'variations' in how 'variations' are considered.Just a heads up (oops,sorry Bradders-I think they are 'bullets'-even if they are 'expanding'-though 'heads' do so too,from birth to 18).

Archived