whats the best fox call for this time off year

visiter1

to be honest, its the one that works at that time, and on that fox.

i can not imagine there is any hard and fast rules.

ive seen a fox a few times in this last week on the same piece of land in the same spot, the first time i called he went striaght away, the keeper said that he'd had the same thing with this fox, so, most of the week ive just been leaving the lamp on him/her untill it goes, now the next time i get to sit out close enough, it should sit under that light long enough for a shot....i hope

This week ive shot them coming in to hand calls, wooden mouth calls and various mp3s on the foxpro. So I dont think there is a proven call for anytime maybe barring mating season. If you can watch the fox and see what hes up to. I vary all my calls.

Atb Steve

depends on what charlie fancies for lunch -as nearly all of game keepers are now fattening up the birds a good call iv used a few times these last weeks are-partridge distress and pheasant distress but a few foxes are not giving it a sniff these ones we are baiting up with pigeons and rabbit guts for a few days then will sit in wait with nv.

with a few cubs still about the good old bunny squeek is still bringing them in shot 4 on thursday on a big stubble field all from the same spot off the back of the keepers truck.

whatever you use dont overdo it a lot of foxes will become call shy then its a differant ball game.

This week I've had 4 fall to the old polystyrene on wet window trick, 2 fall to the distressed mouse and 1 last week to the Guinea pig distress

stacka- guinea pig sounds good havent tried that yet.and the good old polystyrene block havent used that for a year or two.

Had a vixen last night with pheasant distress (wasnt intreasted in rat distress as soon as i played the pheasant she came straight in, i was using nv) and two of this years cubs came in together with just a few lip squeaks both dogs.

As above vary your calls but don't over do it.

Pheasant in distress is my first option at this time as the estates we do are releasing 10-000 plus birds in to the pens, that must be a dinner bell for a fox. On big stubble fields rat/mouse distress is worth a blast ;)

Gaz

Well done buddy ;)

This is something I just posted on an international hunting forum:

'We're having a bit of a difficult time here as we've had a really good summer. As a result, there's so much natural food around - soft fruit, young rabbits, and so on, that it's hard to get the foxes interested in coming to the caller. A few do, but we'll really see things liven up after we've had a frost or two - almost overnight, there'll be very little for a hungry fox to eat, so the calls will be much more effective!'

Couldn't agree more Paddy, some decent frost fast makes them hungry...

If you spot a fox but it ignores any calls you make but carries on with it's business,

I find it best to quietly stalk into shootable range if possible then send it the good news.

If you spot a fox but it ignores any calls you make but carries on with it's business,

I find it best to quietly stalk into shootable range if possible then send it the good news.

Oh yes, that's my favourite kind of foxing! I saw/heard several last night, but the ones I could see were a long way out and moving fast, so no chance of a shot. The two I heard but couldn't see were fighting some way off in the distance. Nothing was interested in the caller.

This week I've had 4 fall to the old polystyrene on wet window trick, 2 fall to the distressed mouse and 1 last week to the Guinea pig distress

Not heard (of) the guinea pig distress... makes my eyes water to think of what you might be doing to a GP to distress it :wacko:

:lol:

fizz

:ph34r:

Missed a wary bugger last night as it turned away from me, wasn't interested in a rabbit call and it bumped me when I was lit up by the lights of an aircraft on final approach into Luton :mad: - then it was focused on the IR on top of the Drone Pro. Stayed the other side of the hedge then just inside the wood without presenting another shot. :angry: I 'think' it might have been the same one I'd spotted an hour earlier so hopefully I know where it's going to be in daylight.

I don't use any calls at all these days, I just stand on the back of the truck near known runs and wait for them to turn up! Partridge pens are like a fox magnet this time of the year again no calling just sit and wait!

Works a treat this time of year as poults are always making noises. Shot three in same field in half hr one eve last year bout this time. Seems to do the job, I tend not to over do the calling mind.

This can be key, usually if you know they are in area, which most the time they are. You won't need to call for too long. I usually find if there are three four hundred yard sitters, walk into them as close s poss. But the new n750, should now hopefully take most the need to do that out of the equation now.

Lol

All the best

CZV

Archived