Arizona shooting: Girl, nine, kills gun instructor

Guest Stacka

Hmm,

from the image (position of instructor for RH student) it looks like a tragic accident just waiting to happen.

Poor kid! She's gonna need a lot of help after that. I hope there's a good insurance pay out for his family. It's not gonna make up for losing their dad/husband, but they don't need to be wondering where the rent's coming from after this.

To be honest I'm not surprised.Having just spent 3 weeks in America we shot on numerous occasions,Only once where we supervised by an instructor.

Two ranges we walked in,gave I.d.then given M16,357 Magnum,Glock 9mm,Ak47,Uzi.We where shown how to load and cock then given the guns and went onto the range ourselves.

The list is a lot longer of guns we shot:-)and was great fun,but its truly amazing the lack of supervision.

First reaction when they showed the prelude to the "accident": How can you trust a weedy naive 9yr old girl to keep control of an Uzi under full auto?

Looked a Darwin moment to me

Poor kid! She's gonna need a lot of help after that. I hope there's a good insurance pay out for his family. It's not gonna make up for losing their dad/husband, but they don't need to be wondering where the rent's coming from after this.

Yup, pretty sad. That's probably damaged her forever.

Lets take a step back here both my kids have shot both bolt action and semi auto rifles with me ,under correct supervision, i am sure all of us would if our children show an intrest in shooting would encourage them and under said supervision and let them have a couple of shots?The problem is poor range disciplin knowing that a child you dont know is about to shoot any firearm should ring enough alarm bells to not relax for a second .

Full auto isn't quite the same thing. It looked a lot like a mini Uzi without a butt stock fitted. Giving a 950 rpm machine pistol to a 9 year old is just mad.

Absolutely!!

Full auto isn't quite the same thing. It looked a lot like a mini Uzi without a butt stock fitted. Giving a 950 rpm machine pistol to a 9 year old is just mad.

I agree , but we all know what there like over there . The main thing i thought of was why oh why did the instructor let her shoot without the folding stock ? Hes to blame i think . such a loss but could of been the girl or even worse !

Guest Stacka

He's positioning was completely wrong too. The whole range set up was wrong.

Tragic in so many ways. That poor girl has to live with that all her life now

Just another nail in the coffin (NO pun intended) of America's liberal gun control/laws.

Poor calibre choice has a part to play to. Would the same thing of happened if the poor girl had shot the same gun or similar with a .22lr conversion kit?

Also, one poxy shot in semi-auto, then straight to full auto!!!

Just another view point.....

Jamie

With all due respect this incident has precious little to do with gun control laws, rather a sad and tragic reflection on the incompetence demonstrated by the alleged instructor .

I fired my first ''real gun'' at a younger age than this poor lass and was sufficiently instructed and supervised not to be a danger to anybody.

In this case however the actual supervision, or rather lack of, is displayed on several levels to be a complete fail. although I do lament the fact that this young lass is now burdened with this incident for the rest of her life and the instructor has lost his life in the process.

It does serve to demonstrate what can go wrong on hopefully the rare occasion that we do not take enough care in what we are doing.

The stock is in use. It is visible at the very start of the video clip.

A very unfortunate accident/incident call it what you will. It is unfortunate he chose to stand in the position he did. It seems a case of complacency (sp?). High volumes of tourist guests = frequent repetition = complacent behaviour

I am off to Nevada/Vegas in October and will probably visit at least one of the shooting ranges for a little S3 fun

Mark

With all due respect this incident has precious little to do with gun control laws, rather a sad and tragic reflection on the incompetence demonstrated by the alleged instructor .

I fired my first ''real gun'' at a younger age than this poor lass and was sufficiently instructed and supervised not to be a danger to anybody.

In this case however the actual supervision, or rather lack of, is displayed on several levels to be a complete fail. although I do lament the fact that this young lass is now burdened with this incident for the rest of her life and the instructor has lost his life in the process.

It does serve to demonstrate what can go wrong on hopefully the rare occasion that we do not take enough care in what we are doing.

With respect Gaz, That depends on what point you're making.

We can all talk about how the poor girl will be mentally scarred for life. Which I agree, and feel for her and her family. As I do for the family of the dead instructor.

BUT, my point was, incidents like this all put a nail in the coffin of gun control as a whole in the USA. After all, it's incidents like this that bring legislation to the forefront of Obama's plans on what will happen in the USA.

With that in mind, it has a lot to do with gun control!......

Jamie

Sods law , got back from the gym earlier changed into my comfy clothes - tracksuit bottoms and T-shirt ! Then i realized the T-shirt id put on was UZI DOES IT T-shirt ! think ill not forget this tragic incident especially wearing this every time i put it on !

Any one Elle's hear radio 2 doing a bit on this. Normally the presenter, comes over antsy fild sport/ guns. But they had Mike Yardley, on whoe gave an explanation why this coud never happen in this country.Is this the BBC starting too be more balanced, in its coverage? Any one whoe gives a kid an Uzis is asking for trouble, tragic but stupid. This on the back of the Chanel 4 documentary on kids with guns. I've got one for them Kids on horses.More deaths and serious injurys, than from fire arms. Owe but no shock factor.

Any one Elle's hear radio 2 doing a bit on this. Normally the presenter, comes over antsy fild sport/ guns. But they had Mike Yardley, on whoe gave an explanation why this coud never happen in this country.Is this the BBC starting too be more balanced, in its coverage? Any one whoe gives a kid an Uzis is asking for trouble, tragic but stupid. This on the back of the Chanel 4 documentary on kids with guns. I've got one for them Kids on horses.More deaths and serious injurys, than from fire arms. Owe but no shock factor.

Thanks for this -Mike Yardley is fairly well balanced,though not neutral on gun use! We all benefit from a sensible commentary on gun use/abuse-rather than reflex,but often wrong,reactions.

Of course, horses were not designed to kill other people,and have a very low profile in violent crime,so tread carefully in upsetting the horsey lobby,often field sports sympathetic.

G

This is a tragic accident,as already said,severely impacting at least two family lives.

The instructor was ex military;the managers comment was that it was all legal,minimum age for Uzi use is 8 years old....

Alas,this is no isolated incident.

Over 100 children were killed in accidental shootings in the US in 2012 (these data are media reported deaths.The NRA in 13 states has blocked doctors asking parents about guns in the home.)

In 2013,194 under 12s died from gunshot wounds,127 at home;52 involved an unsecured gun.

The US Department of Disease Controland Prevention in 1990 found that US kids were x9 more likely to die in gun accidents than in most other 'rich' countries. The NRA successfully lobbied for this Federal Dept to be prevented from such research (presumably children being shot accidentally isn't a disease?)

The NRA strongly opposes any attempt to have home firearms locked up (on the grounds they would be difficult to then access in an emergency,and we should allow that armed intrusion into the home is probably a greater threat in US.)

A United Nations study of Firearms legislation and accidental deaths per 100,000 of the population found the following: .02 in UK:.11 in Australia;.13 in Canada;.29 in new Zealand;.58 in USA.

A Canadian study found gun accident injuries (hospital/discharged) in under 15 year olds are 13 times more frequent than fatalities,and males x7 more frequent than females. A study by Li in 1996 found that in 282 hospital trauma reports for under 14 year olds,peaked between 4-5 pm,59 aged 10-14,80% were male;89% were at home,where the children had access to loaded firearms.

A study by Hude 1996,with 48 4-16 year olds,who were allowed to play with toy and real(deactivated) guns,after an information oriented talk,showed no change in their behaviour,many remaining unable to tell real from toy guns. The NRA has sponsored educational course,claiming some success.

Ref :Canadian Dept Justice... "Firearms,accidental deaths...updated review."

But see also-and I hesitate,as viewing is perhaps part of the problem,rather than part of the solution:

Military.com "The best of gun accidents"2011 video clips (complete with'Benny Hill' soundtrack-'I gave up where the military heavy barrel fell off-one of the injury free clips-generally ,it says something about a cultural attitude in some to firearms as ,gimmicky fun'...with tragedy as the price,even when well intentioned-if sadly misguided-as in the Uzi fatality.

Gbal

This is a tragic accident,as already said,severely impacting at least two family lives.

The instructor was ex military;the managers comment was that it was all legal,minimum age for Uzi use is 8 years old....

Alas,this is no isolated incident.

Over 100 children were killed in accidental shootings in the US in 2012 (these data are media reported deaths.The NRA in 13 states has blocked doctors asking parents about guns in the home.)

In 2013,194 under 12s died from gunshot wounds,127 at home;52 involved an unsecured gun.

The US Department of Disease Controland Prevention in 1990 found that US kids were x9 more likely to die in gun accidents than in most other 'rich' countries. The NRA successfully lobbied for this Federal Dept to be prevented from such research (presumably children being shot accidentally isn't a disease?)

The NRA strongly opposes any attempt to have home firearms locked up (on the grounds they would be difficult to then access in an emergency,and we should allow that armed intrusion into the home is probably a greater threat in US.)

A United Nations study of Firearms legislation and accidental deaths per 100,000 of the population found the following: .02 in UK:.11 in Australia;.13 in Canada;.29 in new Zealand;.58 in USA.

A Canadian study found gun accident injuries (hospital/discharged) in under 15 year olds are 13 times more frequent than fatalities,and males x7 more frequent than females. A study by Li in 1996 found that in 282 hospital trauma reports for under 14 year olds,peaked between 4-5 pm,59 aged 10-14,80% were male;89% were at home,where the children had access to loaded firearms,at a time when parents wee probably still at work...

, A study by Hude 1996,with 48 4-16 year olds,who were allowed to play with toy and real(deactivated) guns,after an information oriented talk,showed no change in their behaviour,many remaining unable to tell real from toy guns. The NRA has sponsored educational course,claiming some success.

Ref :Canadian Dept Justice... "Firearms,accidental deaths...updated review."

But see also-and I hesitate,as viewing is perhaps part of the problem,rather than part of the solution:

Military.com "The best of gun accidents"2011 video clips (complete with'Benny Hill' soundtrack-'I gave up where the military heavy barrel fell off-one of the injury free clips-generally ,it says something about a cultural attitude in some to firearms as ,gimmicky fun'...with tragedy as the price,even when well intentioned-if sadly misguided-as in the Uzi fatality.

Gbal

Re horse sports it is my other business and has been for over 30plus years. The point being the press love too sensashlize, any thing to do with guns. More people are injured and killed, in eventing than any other sport, and that's just eventing not counting hunting, show jumping ect. I've hunted twice a wk pre ban, and after the ban so I think I count as a fild sports person. My point is no one reports deaths in the main stream as they do when fire arms are involved . Moto Cross comes second to eventing and yet does not get the media a tension. I don't know the figures re shooting, but I'm guessing its safer than most things.

Archived