Max load for N140 / 155 Scenars??

Chris-NZ

A question for any F-TR guys out there.

My son's rifle (my old TR rifle reworked) had been rebarreled so needed load development. I had reasonable info on 2208 (Varget) loads but had little info on N140 other than comments from Laurie.

Here's what happened today:

RPA-Aug14_zpsc743da3a.jpg

I an lucky to have access to a suppressed range and an Oehler43 Lab. The electronic target on the Lab is the icing. My brain f*rt on the last shot is still on screen.. :wacko:

photo5_zps6c46f469.jpg

As Laurie indicated, the VV factory "max" loads are ridiculous. I'd suspect there's a fair bit of leeway left with this rifle as it's not even hit 3000 with the 32" barrel. Anyone got personal experience with this combo? Obviously PM me for sensitivity reasons

thnaks

ChrisNZ

Thanks Chris,for this evidence that there is life after Varget,just as there was before Varget.

For many shooters over here,that performance would probably be tolerable,if untested at long range,until you extend your tunnel out to 1000y!

:-)

g

You mean I can't extrapolate that out to longs George??

The only other issue is ES- despite what Laurie suggested, the Varget had an ES approx 60% of the N140 load!?

Not what I was expecting

Ha ha,Chris-if you'd said they were 1000y groups,I'd have believed it.Good stuff,vihtavuori.

You can extrapolate,but you have to include the flier too.(or in SD/ statistical speak,the outlier-even if it's an out and out liar).

Pretty nifty family shooting ,by the way,and isn't it nice when all your coaching and genes start to justify the investment?

g

• 4 weeks later...

From my experience, in a 30 inch or longer barrel, you might be better using N150...

Less recoil than N140 and you should get 3000fps with a 155 grain bullet.

Your's will be fifferent, use caution, work up loads etc....

but I use 46.2gns N150 with the Lapua 155 scenar, loaded COL 2.87 which is 10 thou into lands on my rifle (30 inch bartlein barrel).

Have fun and let everyone know how you get on.

I've loaded up to 46 grains in 2 1:12 rifles with no pressure signs, your mileage may vary so work up accordingly. However I've not pursued the load in either rifle as accuracy results were not good - really bad in fact compared to 167's and 168 SMK.

Archived