Diggle's 1000 yard Gong Shoot

The Diggle 1000 yard Gong Shoot has already had a mention on UKV but, as it's only 10 days away I thought I'd give it another plug.

I always wanted to link this shoot with a good cause and I think I've found one. One of the Diggle guys was unlucky enough to contract prostate caner (he's fine now) and he was impressed with the work of a Prostate Cancer Charity who provide funds where the NHS doesn't to help those unfortunate enough to be smitten with this cancer. He has since spent much of his spare time working to fund-raise for this charity. So, we have decided that all profits from the shoot will go to this worthy cause.

Hopefully we will raise a decent amount as the shoot costs very little to stage. Mik Maksimovik of Dolphin Gun Company has generously supplied the gongs - which saved about £150 - and Stuart Anselm of Osprey Rifles is supplying some unique caps to commemorate the event. Naturally, any other offers of prizes will be gratefully received no matter how small. I am currently talking to one or two other RFDs regarding prizes but, obviously the money will be raised from entry fees, which will be kept to a minimum - just £5.00.

The format will be an adequate sighting-in period, followed by two sighters on the gongs followed by ten shots on the gongs. In the afternoon, we'll shoot it again so you should bring 30 - 40 rounds.

Everyone will be on the 1000 yard point - which is covered and we also have use of the GBFCA tent. So, no butt duty, just shooting. There are no rules - any rifle, sights, rests etc. shot off the concrete benches. F Class rifles, benchrest rifles and anything in between is fine - as usual we will give an award for the best standard factory rifle. (Diggle safety limits are 6000ft/lbs and 4000fps so 338 is fine but sorry - no 50cal.)

I'm hoping that this shoot may become a bit of a 'classic' - like our Egg Shoot and Fly Shoot. Novelty shoots with the accent on accuracy and FUN!

Enter on the day - sign on before 9.30am please. Diggle postcode is OL3 5LB PM me on vinceb@6ppc.fsnet.co.uk for further info. etc.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vince.

What date is the gong shoot and can non members attend ??

Sounds fun!!

Cheers

Simon

I will be going - i'll sign u in Simon.

Sorry - fancy leaving out the date - August Bank Holiday Monday 25th.

Yes - non-members are very welcome - we will have to charge you the £15 Diggle range fee but I'm hoping the Club will add this to the charity donation.

Spud - you are awesome - thank you. And so are you Ronin.

Plenty of local accommodation - Diggle Hotel 01457 87 2741, Sunfield 01457 87 4030, Newbarn 01457 87 3937 - these are all less than a mile away and are used to shooters with guns staying.

Hi Vince,

Tried to pm you, but your inbox is full.

Would it be possible for me to come as a spectator again tomorrow for the 1,000 yard benchrest, please?

I've now got all my gear to start loading and shooting the barrel in on my 6.5-284, but not in time to get anything put together as yet because I'm going on holiday. I will be looking to come over one Thursday to do load developing when I get back and take away/fill in membership forms. Hopefully in time to enter the September shoot.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks
Paul

Hi Vince,

Tried to pm you, but your inbox is full.

Would it be possible for me to come as a spectator again tomorrow for the 1,000 yard benchrest, please?

I've now got all my gear to start loading and shooting the barrel in on my 6.5-284, but not in time to get anything put together as yet because I'm going on holiday. I will be looking to come over one Thursday to do load developing when I get back and take away/fill in membership forms. Hopefully in time to enter the September shoot.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul,

Yes - you are more than welcome to come along tomorrow.

Hi Dalua - the gongs are 8 inches in diameter. I cribbed the comp from a club in Florida and they use this size. If they were any bigger it could be too easy - think of the size of the F Class bull at 1000 yards - 10 inches - even FTR shooters are hitting that size of bull with amazing regularity.

Yesterday was horrendous - wind speeds up to 33 mph were recorded for the 1000 yard BR shoot. Most shooters struggled to stay on the target and only a couple attempted the gong.

Many groups were closer to inside-leg measurements than a group. The competition was won by Steve Dunn with his 7mm BooBoo but Mole-e shot small group - 6.008 inches with his 6BR! Incredible.

far be it from me to encourage littering but if we were to stick a can of beer up on the first cold bore sighter shot if you hit it you win a slab of 24 divided if more than one hits it ,i'll throw in a slab of beer but please undestand if we use an empty can filled with water for the target.would this be fun or not a good idea ?

far be it from me to encourage littering but if we were to stick a can of beer up on the first cold bore sighter shot if you hit it you win a slab of 24 divided if more than one hits it ,i'll throw in a slab of beer but please undestand if we use an empty can filled with water for the target.would this be fun or not a good idea ?

Bring the beer!

Archived