I need to buy an "off the shelf" reloading bench.

maximus otter

My improvised reloading bench has died, snapped in half by the torque of FL resizing .260 Remington brass.

As I have zero woodworking tools and skills, I need to buy a robust, hard-wearing reloading bench off the shelf. About 6' x 2' would be sufficient for my needs.

Amazon offers several woodworking benches which seem promising, but have any other UKV members any recommendations for something that can be bought easily online? Budget up to about £250.

I am in the PE2* postcode area (East Anglia).

maximus otter

You haven't mentioned size.......However even with minimal woodworking skills a bench is really easy to make. Say 1800 mm x 600 mm.

Cutting list

4 no 900mm x 75mm x 75mm par for the posts

8 no 32 mm x 90mm x 2100mm and 4 no 32 mm x 700 mm par + a 2400 mm length of the same stuff for a brace (oversize to allow trimming)

a sheet of 18 mm decent grade ply 1800 mm x 600 mm a box of 60 mm and 50mm pozi wood screws total cost of material circa £75

And 2 hours of your time, go for it.

BTW par = planed all round

I have a Black and Decker workmate. I also have a bit of kitchen top which I can clamp to the workmate. I've got one RCBS press bolted to the worktop. When I need the room for visitors, I can take the work top off the workmate and put all my stuff away. All the other kit I use is deployed as needed. I use a G clamp to hold the powder throw in place.

If you want, I'll try and take a photo of the setup.

Regards

JCS

Buy yourself 2 2 drawer filing cabinets and a length of 40mm kitchen worktop, best wipeclean top and all the storage you will ever need.

An old School teachers desk does a great job! Find them on Fleabay and similar sights.

I've got 2, very sturdy and plenty of draw space...

Jamie

An alternative might be the 'bench' that Lee make. It's a three-leg angle-iron thingy designed specifically to take the force of a reloading press - for anything else, an ordinary table will suffice.

Hannam's Reloading have them and you'll find a pic of one of the Lee website. It also folds away if that's important.

Archived