.22lr mid / long range practice

sauer

Hi folks

Just been thinking .....

Having just been in my first rifle shoot ( see SGA glen tilt thread) & literally 3 days before that shooting at 400 & a max of 560 yds all 3 days before the event ......I can now see how addictive that could be

Got me thinking / looking to my own permissions & thinking regarding availability / suitability for doing it more often

Does anyone do slightly longer than normal range work with .22lr in order to practice dialling in ?

Say if they didn't have suitability for centre fire work at 300yds plus

Paul

Hi Paul,

In answer to your question yes, I do.

I shoot my .22Lr out to 160 yards. I shoot a 4 inch gong in all weathers, the dialing in os not the problem its the wind.

I use Winchester subs that have been batched in weight and rim thickness and if the wind is steady, the resulrs are shockingly very good. I have jo problem shooting rabbits out to and be hound 120 yards when I certain of the wind.

Good fun and certainly good practise.

Steve

I do , I use eley subsonic hp+ , you will learn to read the wind really well !

once the range gets well out there you will need a backstop area that you can spot your splash on.

Hi Paul,

In answer to your question yes, I do.

I shoot my .22Lr out to 160 yards. I shoot a 4 inch gong in all weathers, the dialing in is not the problem its the wind.

I use Winchester subs that have been batched in weight and rim thickness and if the wind is steady, the results are shockingly very good. I have no problem shooting rabbits out too and behound 120 yards when Im certain of the wind.

Good fun and certainly good practise.

Steve

Cheers guys

I as wondering if I was having a brain fart when wondered if .22lr was used in this way

Might have a look out for a cheaper end target turret little scope of some description for playing

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

I shoot my 22 on range days at 200 and 300, the 300's a bit too far as the range is invariably windy, very good results at 200 though.

Sorting your ammo by rim thickness helps (use a fired .223/5.56 case!) and find the ammo your rifle likes.

Never used subs, drop too much to start with, match rounds are basically subsonic but there is ammo specifically designed for shooting longer distances.

I dial, the scope is on a 20moa base to help this. Drops for typical 22LR ammo is available off the web, NRA I think gives this in the 22RF long range match rules?

It is good fun though, just stuck a tuner on my rifle to try and squeeze a bit more out of it!

T

Archived