Thermal imagers

fox 1

Hi guys, need some help, i am in the market for a thermal imager, is any of you using flir ps 32 or pulsar scout hd 38s. i would like to know which is the better one of the two please. thanks pete

Father in law ordered the FLIR PS32 awaiting arrival through local RFD. Reason he went for it was cost difference. It's also a very light unit. He looked through a PS24 had it on lone for a week it was ok, I actually preffered the HD38s, but I never compared side by side with the PS 32 but on stats, they not to dissimilar I believe the res is slightly better on the 38s, but all in is about an extra 700quid more if you include the battery pack for it. If you have that extra go for the HD 38s mate. The PS32 will be more than sufficient for his needs mind, and that was the main basis of his purchase that massive difference in cost.

Hope I helped In some way.

All the best with purchase

CZV

Guide have just brought out the 510 model for £2200 and I saw it at scone game fair

Pocket sized still higher refresh rate screen in terms of hertz than the flir

Was very impressed with it .... Only 400m detection range compared to 900m of the hd38

But would be enough for my needs

Paul

hi ,a good friend of mine bought a Flir ps 64 which is almost £5K.

After he looking through my Pulsar hd38s he felt sick as a pig.

the next day he sent the Flir back and bought a pulsar hd38s.

Hope this helps .

hi ,a good friend of mine bought a Flir ps 64 which is almost £5K.

After he looking through my Pulsar hd38s he felt sick as a pig.

the next day he sent the Flir back and bought a pulsar hd38s.

Hope this helps .

thanks chaps i am in no rush, so will try and get a look through a couple first

• 2 weeks later...

had a flir ls 64 on test biggest disappointment ever rabbits at 80 yrds looked like jelly on a plate and couldn't id a cub at about a hundred picture quality on apar with a Yukon ranger with no ir if it was 500 quid I still would not have bought it atb tony

I have a HD38s and it is fantastic, the only thing I would replace it with is the new HD50.

Had it now for 9 months and wish I had one years ago.

Been busy lately catching up with foxes as the crops are harvested.

Also had success last week up a hi seat

As normal went up hi seat well before dark 8.45pm with Blaser R93 .243, 58 gr Norma V-max, fitted with Longbow in daylight mode.

I saw nothing up to the point where in the past I would have given up - too dark to see anything through the scope.

Then I quietly fitted the NV unit onto my Longbow (by the way the Pulsar HD38 carrying bag makes an excellent holdall for the Longbow NV unit) and turned on the Pulsar.

Ten minutes later spotted cub at 200 yards walking down the track towards me, switched off pulsar-turned on Longbow- straight forward kill at 50 yards.

Stayed up hi seat

A hour later I spotted the rabbits on alert then i picked up a fox coming from the right from behind some trees.

It started walking up the right side of the track away from me, very quietly switched to Longbow, small squeak, fox turns round, bang fox dead ten feet from where the cub was lying.

Big Bonus- old vixen carrying a vole. she was only marginally bigger than the cub.

Job done - countless wee birdies and beasties and the keeper had a good nights sleep.

Couldn't have done that a couple years ago, would have been reliant on lamping and snares.

My only worry with this kit is its availability to poachers.

But Poachers Beware!!

Cos this kit is so good, I am never in the house at night.

I am completely addicted to shooting foxes and being out on patrol till the wee hours and most of the time I never have to use the spotlight - no-one knows I am there.

I catch up on my sleep during the day, I am so effective now at hunting foxes that I can afford to do that.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a go with both Guides and the Flirs, overall performance there isn't a great deal between any of them As has been already said it may be interesting to see out to 700 yards and more but do you really need it. I finally settled on the HD38s as it does the job, is straightforward in operation and has a good sized screen. Also not hugely overpriced. I wouldn't be without it now.

old keeper, would you see a fox in a field of beans and whats it like in woods please.

Definitely works on line of sight to the animal, so unless you were much higher and looking down you wouldn't see a fox in the middle of a field of beans (Unless they were dwarf Beans? :lol: ).

Even sedge grass or rushes will obscure the view but if any part of the animal is unobscured you've got a fair chance to be able to i/d the overall shape.... for instance, up in Scotland in April/May, I knew it was a fox sitting in the rushes and which way it was facing 350m away but my "m a t e" on the rifle could only get the odd flick off it's eyes under the lamp.

Spotting in winter with no undergrowth in the woods and low crops/grass whatever is where it comes into it's own...... lamps and NV tend to stop at the treeline but the thermal will go as far in as you have line of sight. I've learned a hell of a lot about fox behaviour since getting my HD38s... no they don't always clear off.

I was up a highseat and set off the foxpro when I saw one cross the field, this didn't re-appear directly but stayed mainly out of view and I tracked it round 3 sides of the field to come back into the wood 20m behind the seat. It had obviously sussed I was up the seat earlier and just went and sat/lay down 40m back in the wood and waited for me to go before it was going to come out and investigate the foxpro call - after half an hour it got fed up and wandered back into the wood, then an hour later I shot one coming along the field and I'd like to think that was the same fox.

On another occasion I watched one sit down and watch the badgers back in the opposite wood, that took another 20minutes to come out onto the field for the shot. :) I'd never have known it was even there without the thermal.

They are bloody good bits of kit. ;)

Fizz

:ph34r:

I agree with FBW. Put it this way the thermal will not see through things but providing there is the slightest bit of the target showing you will see that piece immediately. More often than not the animal is on the move so you will pick that up and with practice you will soon identify what it is. Certainly in woods the same thing applies, there are very few occasions when you will not see an animal unless it's in a field of beans!

I wouldn't be without my thermal, best piece of kit I have.

I agree with FBW. Put it this way the thermal will not see through things but providing there is the slightest bit of the target showing you will see that piece immediately. More often than not the animal is on the move so you will pick that up and with practice you will soon identify what it is. Certainly in woods the same thing applies, there are very few occasions when you will not see an animal unless it's in a field of beans!

I wouldn't be without my thermal, best piece of kit I have.

Combined with my Drone Pro 10x NV 'scope it's a lethal combination.... up in Scotland with no light pollution I was tracking and dealing with foxes in the lambing parks that didn't have a clue. Down here in sunny Herts it's a bit more difficult to do that with so much light spill on the clouds from either Luton or Stevenage so it's mainly high seat work to avoid getting sussed in the open. The light spill does mean that I've just used my Zeiss 6-24's without any extra light on occasions though. :) Same in bright moonlight.

With the last few nights being a bit cooler it's getting easier to pick up on what's around. Here we go.......roll on autumn.

Oh yeah, if you're in a rocky area every rock will have a heat signature into the night. :blink: It's just when one suddenly moves that you realise it's a bloody sheep that's just stood up! :lol: foxes do have a certain way of moving though.

Cheers

Fizz

And you can always use the thermal to see where you're losing heat or where your central heating pipes run under carpets or your ceiling joists are. ;)

thanks lads, you have made my mind up would the hd 50 be much better than the 38,s

If you can stretch to an extra few hundred quid go for it.

Atb Steve

Looks like Theo (NV/thermal junkie :lol: ) has already made up his mind on the 50.......... the one he is (was?) selling is a recent replacement under Warranty from TJ's and only a few weeks old.

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8359

I've not had the opportunity to look through a 50 (If Theo has sorted his by the time of the NV meet he's organising I might just go and have a peek at that) but the 38S is very good.... and getting better now the night's are cooler..... I was tracking a fox* across stubbles over 400m away last night (*just by the way it was moving) and my 38S will pick up planes in and out of Luton Airport and I've checked the flightline is over 5 miles away.

Cheers

Fizz

hi chaps, just spoke to scott country and pulsar quantrm 50s is on its way for the week on demo, so look out mr fox there will be no hideing place next week

hi chaps, just spoke to scott country and pulsar quantrm 50s is on its way for the week on demo, so look out mr fox there will be no hideing place next week

Nice one, this site was keen on prices........ if that makes any difference.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/store/night-vision/pulsar-hd50s-thermal-imager.html

Fizz

Nearly forgot... the 38S came with 4 Ansmann AA batteries and charger. If you don't want to open the packs any AA rechargeables will do (Off the top of my head you shouldn't use standard AA's?) These higher powered Ansmanns are good and last several hours..... and picstop are just replacing a whole set of 4 as one died on me the other week, that's 9 months after I bought the set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-AA-2850-mAh-Rechargeable-Battery-FOUR-PACK-/330939009093?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item4d0d808845

I get 2 nights out of a set and then just pop in the spare pack.... the 38S comes with 2 battery holders so i assume the 50 will come with the same. Getting the batteries out of the pack is a bit of a faff and care required as the springs aren't all against the flat ends of the batteries as you'd expect... I use a small electricians screwdriver to tease the batteries with the flat connectors out first, makes it easier to get the coil sprung ones out as the end of the coil can snag on the battery's plastic casing.

Have fun, I use mine on auto-calibrate and forestry or 'i/d' (eye logo) mode during warmer weather. Brightness/contrast to suit.... use your left eye to spot 'cos you won't be able to see anything out of it once you take the 38S away from it. :lol:

Was out last night watching a field over the wall from the combine (Had already shot a vixen cub mousing on the stubble left by the first 2 cuts the combine had made across the first field half an hour before - it had watched me drive around the field edge til I got to 125m and started mousing again :) )

Anyway....... I'd gone back to my original position and tucked in against a cover crop to watch for anything being pushed around by the combine. Scanned around behind me to see a figure walking across the field to the edge of the wood with the pheasant pen in it..... probably a quarter of a mile at this point and just before 10pm. Rang the 'keeper who was driving one of the grain tractors and he went off to investigate....... tracked the guy round the edge of the wood to the other side, lost him for a bit by which time the 'keeper was there looking for him and then picked him up again on the next field edge.

He ducked into the thick edge as he saw the lamp but I could still just make the glimmer and talked my m a t e into him "20yards.... on your right about now" That would be about half a mile by this point.

I could hear the conversation as he hadn't ended the call... the guy was walking around in the dark looking for a hill on the Icknield Way that was about 5miles in the other direction. (didn't get the offer of a lift though). I bet he was thinking htf did they know I was here?

Good result for the thermal....... there is no hiding place!? :lol:

Cheers

Fizz

:lol: i bet he had the expression like a rouge trader has when matt allwight pops out with all the cameras . Or is that the short bald fella dom something ? Nice read tho

Archived