1000 yard benchrest at Diggle

For once, we had an almost ideal shooting day and it was an opportunity for shooters to demonstrate their ability and the accuracy of their rifles.

Mal Roberts, shooting in Light Gun Class, shot a 5-shot four-group agg. which came in at 4.057 inches and smashed the current UKBRA record. Three of Mal's groups were under four-inches.

Steve Dunn also laid down a couple of three-inch groups on his way to second place in Light Gun - with a 22BR!

Factory Sporter shooter, Alan Seagrave, with his absolutely bog-standard 6.5x55 Tikka shot a six-inch group and posted a four-group agg. of 9.303 inches to easily take the Factory Class win.

For those who think 1000 yard BR is a sport for guys with small ******* and big guns - think again. Our ladies also made their mark today. Sheila McGowan took the Heavy Gun Class win and Mary Marsden took second in Heavy Gun Class and also shot small group. Toni Young and Jeanette Whitney both took third in their respective classes (Light Gun & Factory).

Before people wonder why Heavy Gun groups are larger than Light Gun, it's apples and pears. As of this year, HG shoots 10-round groups compared to LG's 5-rounds. Being the first season too, it's very early days - only the 3rd comp.

Before the change, there were many sub 6-inch 5-round groups shot with F-Class and FTR rifles exceeding the LG 17lb all-up weight limit. I managed sub 5-inch groups with both .223 and .308 FTR rifles, but doing it over 10 rounds is a VERY different matter!

Great results gents and ladies!

For once, we had an almost ideal shooting day and it was an opportunity for shooters to demonstrate their ability and the accuracy of their rifles.

Steve Dunn also laid down a couple of three-inch groups on his way to second place in Light Gun - with a 22BR!

For those who think 1000 yard BR is a sport for guys with small ******* and big guns - think again. Our ladies also made their mark today. Sheila McGowan took the Heavy Gun Class win and Mary Marsden took second in Heavy Gun Class and also shot small group. Toni Young and Jeanette Whitney both took third in their respective classes (Light Gun & Factory).

That's an amazing performance for .22BR - only Dunnie would attempt it. Just shows what those little pills can do - 90s?

Great to see the ladies doing so well. (I'll have to lay it on thick with Jim M - he needs to be loading up some accidentally / deliberately bad ammo to stop his missus continually showing him up like this!)

Too true Laurie one of the problems of husband and wife shooting teams. To make matters worse Mary got the small group ( .398 factory sporter) in the 100 yards on the Saturday!![/quote

Jim come on pull ya bloody finger out!!!

Although thinking on, I wish my wife shot,,

It would make it easier buying more rifles,

I did put this to her and she said yes she had thought about shooting me a few

Times???, ya got to laugh sometimes ,,,

Please tell her from me, well done Mary,,

Jim I got home ok, must of had water or crap diesel??

Take care both , and well done to all that shot,,

Darrel

Ps my wife's name is Mary aswell

Archived