new loader

Guest Stacka

Guest Stacka

Right guys after a good sell from my local rfd. I brought a lee loading kit, plus extras.

Im reloading .222

Does any have any cucial advice to help me get it righ first time.

Also advice on load deveopment

cheers

Stacka

Get a good reloading manual and read it. Not just the data, but the content on the how's and why's. Then follow the data to a "T" and you'll do well. The Triple Deuce is a fine cartridge to reload for.~Andrew

Ensure your scales are properly set up and weighing correctly.

If you're using the ones from the Lee kit then make sure when you zero them, they are set to zero and the slider is not just pushed all the way to the right.

It sounds obvious but I know of three people who just pushed the slider to the right when zeroing them and as a result were over loading by over a grain.

There are three white lines on the poise. For it to read zero you need to see a line on 1, one on 0 and one one 9.

The Lee scales do work but they can be tricky to read. Depending on your budget, I'd recommend getting a good set of RCBS 505 or 1010 scales now, they'll make weighing much easier and will last a lifetime.

Guest Stacka

If i cant work the scales ill not think twice about gettinh some digital ones.

Im also worried about getting the bullet seated exactly the right length

Do you have a set of callipers? If not get one and also consider a Hornady comparator to attach to them so you are measuring to the ogive which is constant and not the tip which is not.

Seating depth is a fine art and rifle dependent. Start with standard SAAMI length until you work up a load then start tweaking seating depth to further accurise your load.

Stacka

Not sure where you are in Wiltshire but I live just across the border in Glos (Near Cirencester).....if you get stuck or want confirmations about anything drop me a pm OR if we are close I could meet to advise.

Guest Stacka

Stacka....Give Pete(Swamp donkey) a shout...he loads the triple2..i think hes only down the road from you.

Glenn

I will do cheers.

Iv got my kit all installed etc. And started cleaning and trimming my cases. Some of the cases are all different lengths, but all are below the recommended 1.70in.

Will this matter or shall i just make sure they are all the same size?

examples are .1.681in, 1.638in, 1.693in

Guest Stacka

your video was gleaming, the actual instruction part of it.

Im merrily prepping hundreds of cases. Ready to sonic clean, untill I truely understand the next phase.

On the sonic cleaner, will normal water with the solution be ok?

Guest Stacka

trim themn all to the shortest one

I trimmed them to the trimming tool i purchased, then turned out the chamfed out the neck.

I made a dud round (no powder or primer last night, and it seemed to be within tolerence with no adjustment needed. The Lee dies seem to measure everything really accuractely

I trimmed them to the trimming tool i purchased, then turned out the chamfed out the neck.

I made a dud round (no powder or primer last night, and it seemed to be within tolerence with no adjustment needed. The Lee dies seem to measure everything really accuractely

The 222rem case should be 1.700 ",as you note.(Accurate Shooter site for the proper SAAMI case dimensions) though it will stretch with firings.... check with callipers....and then needs trimming back.It is not absolutely critical to a few thou,and you can go that few thou less.But if you feel any increased bolt closure/chambering effort needed,it's past time to check and trim-too long risks neck squeezing in on the bullet and raising pressures,not good. It's usually not a good idea for a beginner to do hundreds of anything until you've done a sample and checked them out,just to be sure.

Guest Stacka

Finally manged to do ten good rounds that im happy with, alot of banging rounds out and ruining brass got me there.

Going to see how they group tonight, hopefully i see a instant change to that of factory loads.

If all is good then im going to do a few more batches.

cheers for all that helped out

Guest Stacka

Finally put the roundd down the barrel last night.

The M595 with my Swarovski on produced a .768 moa group at 100yards.

And my T3 lite with the yukon photon on produced a .989 moa at hundred yards.

This homeloading is brilliant

There's another one hooked. :)

OK....just so we can keep an eye on progress,what is the rifle,and what did it do with (which) commercial 222 rem ammo?

(ps are we talking 5 round groups?)

G

Guest Stacka

The M595 - the grouping at 100 yards was about 1moa

the T3 with thr photon was just above. 1.3moa

all ways five round groups

Archived