Applied Ballistics

It's very intuitive to use. It has all the features I would expect and a few that you don't see that often, if ever (like ballistic calibration of MV and BC).

I don't know if the solver is a lot better than the ones used in other programmes, but I would expect it to be as good as it gets when it comes from Bryan.

Although it's not an application feature I think it's worth highlighting the instructions on the web. In addition to explaining options they contain background reading on why one would select one option over another. For example, I now have a much better understanding of why station pressure is easier to work with and what I need to do to get the correct value from my Kestrel.

I recently purchased this program and find it to be very good. I was using strelok for a long time but I had to put in different speeds at different distance to get the program to match up to field condition. For example if I was shooting out to say 450 yards I would have to input my MV at 3450. From 500 yards to 700 yards I would have to drop it to 3050 to get it to match. With applied ballistics with the trajectory Turing I fired one shot at 400, one at 600 and one at 700 and it readjusted the MV or bc to suit. A very useful feature which seems to work very well.

• 6 months later...

Does anybody know how to set the automatic atmosphere feature? I've got it enabled in the settings but in the Environment screen it just says the temp is -20c and the wind is always on 12.5mph, it's as though it's not picking up the correct data. It's on a iphone.

Does anybody know how to set the automatic atmosphere feature? I've got it enabled in the settings but in the Environment screen it just says the temp is -20c and the wind is always on 12.5mph, it's as though it's not picking up the correct data. It's on a iphone.

I find the atmosphere stuff a bit confusing. Why don't you post your question here - http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?board=21.0 What device are you getting your atmosphere data from? By Bluetooth? Regards JCS

I find the atmosphere stuff a bit confusing. Why don't you post your question here - http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?board=21.0 What device are you getting your atmosphere data from? By Bluetooth? Regards JCS

As I understand it I've got it set so the app gets its information from mobile data and the phones gps?

As I understand it I've got it set so the app gets its information from mobile data and the phones gps?

Yes you can do this or enter it in more accurately from the likes of your Kestrel weather meter or Sky watch, most of the decent wind meters has the info on them.

Its ok if your very close to a weather station, but if the nearest one is several miles away the data may be inaccurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can do this or enter it in more accurately from the likes of your Kestrel weather meter or Sky watch, most of the decent wind meters has the info on them.

Its ok if your very close to a weather station, but if the nearest one is several miles away the data may be inaccurate.

Plus1 on this. I always set my program to my kestrel. Gives much more accurate "real time" readings than your phone will.

Would any of you who has this applied ballistics know at what fps the 0.612 bc is with a 6.5 cal 140gr vld, sierra give bc's at different fps, was wondering is the same fps applies with the bergers.i emailed berger for this info and the reply was they didnt know but brian litz is doing more bc testing soon.

Swaro,if Bryan and Berger don't know,heaven help us!

Sierra are at least helpfulenough to give three velocity bands:

6.5 140g HPBT 2800+ fps .535 G1BC

2000-2800 .526

2000- .521

Remember,the (G1) BC reduces directly with fps,and these are just 3 sampled values,averaged within the range (2000 fps BC is lower than 2800 fps BC,and .526 is the average in this range).

The Berger 6.5 140g VLD Match Hunting has a GI BC of .612;and I think we can assume meanwhile that it is a value for velocities above 2800 fps,until this is confirmed/not.We might work on a similar pro rata decrease as fps decrease,as per Sierra. We do have the Berger G7,however,and that is .313;there are some claims this is more representative over the likely fps range of use.....though perhaps not a true constant value,at least less variable with fps...maybe Bryan is more explicit in his book of "BC" values,empirically derived.

Best we have meanwhile-and the assumption that makers publish the bullet's best BC (at attainable fps for calibre in current cartridges) seems widely evidenced.Just check your ballistics program does not treat the input G1 BC as a constant....imprecision in,imprecision out,as we keep evidencing here (though it's not just BC).

gbal

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Would somebody mind giving me a hand with AB? Basically I have yet to find the "Ballistic Calibration" screen to true up my data. I have changed between G7, G1 and tried opening up custom curve but it simply gives me a list of different bullets and wont let me select them. Where do you find the actual Ballistic Calibration screen on the Android version of the software? On the actual AB information page it simply states "The Ballistic Calibration tool is accessed via the main menu from any solution screen." by solution screen I assume they mean the table, graph or reticle page...I cant see anything to click to enable calibration.

Cheers

Archived