Borden Alpine 260 Stalker

Just completed this and its now gone for Cerakote finish to the metalwork.

Borden Alpine (short action), Lothar 8tw barrel, threaded, oversize lug, Mcmillan Rem Varmint stock, Jewel trigger, HS Precision mag system.

Lovely handling rifle that, topped off with some quality glass and mounts will make an excellent working tool for the customer.

Think it looks just right, something about the elegant lines of the Borden actions I just think are timeless.

DSCN4094_zps6a59ae44.jpg

DSCN4095_zpsf5852420.jpg

DSCN4097_zpsd305ddcd.jpg

DSCN4100_zps0ea3cba6.jpg

d2e9866a-0dbe-4fa0-82f7-4c0892cc5e92_zps

Despite being to SAAMI spec, the Proof House now have to engrave chamber details on non CIP chambers….though this is a "standard" chamber.

8b5b24b4-3dbd-491c-9941-1208e1cfac36_zps

Hi Ronin,

Very nice work, what do you think of the HS precision mag system in comparison to the Sako 75/85 system,

Thanks

Honestly, I don't think its as well made or smooth feeding.

They rattle (HS) if the O ring breaks or gets lost and the retaining notch on the mag wears - both easy fixes but for the price of the system they are annoying niggles.

Its a real shame there is no alternative flush mounted mag system available for Rem 700 style actions.

The alternative we were going to use was a Williams or Sunny Hill BDL floor plate - this wasn't really what the end user wanted though.

Now if someone were to devise a bottom metal which allowed the use of Sako 75 mags……….they would be on to a winner.

seems a shame to coat such a lovely action

They are indeed a very pretty action, I think black Cerakote will enhance the good looks and provide a less reflective finish for its intended purpose - stalking.

Just completed this and its now gone for Cerakote finish to the metalwork.

Borden Alpine (short action), Lothar 8tw barrel, threaded, oversize lug, Mcmillan Rem Varmint stock, Jewel trigger, HS Precision mag system.

Lovely handling rifle that, topped off with some quality glass and mounts will make an excellent working tool for the customer.

Think it looks just right, something about the elegant lines of the Borden actions I just think are timeless.

DSCN4094_zps6a59ae44.jpg

DSCN4095_zpsf5852420.jpg

DSCN4097_zpsd305ddcd.jpg

DSCN4100_zps0ea3cba6.jpg

d2e9866a-0dbe-4fa0-82f7-4c0892cc5e92_zps

Despite being to SAAMI spec, the Proof House now have to engrave chamber details on non CIP chambers….though this is a "standard" chamber.

8b5b24b4-3dbd-491c-9941-1208e1cfac36_zps

The business over the proofing of non standard chambers is a proper ball ache. I submitted a rifle to have screw thread/ moderator proofed and they initially failed it as the chamber is non standard to paraphrase...... They proofed the new barrel just before Christmas go figure....???

riflecraft built me the same on a remmy 700 and it's my go to stalker now although it's in an E-tac stock now, just about perfect for the hill !

Hi John

as I understand it, the action and bottom metal are to be one shade of black, the barrel another.

Ive built a few rifles now and had them coated using two tone finish on the metalwork, so long as the colours used are in the base stock pattern, it works very well.

Honestly, I don't think its as well made or smooth feeding.

They rattle (HS) if the O ring breaks or gets lost and the retaining notch on the mag wears - both easy fixes but for the price of the system they are annoying niggles.

Its a real shame there is no alternative flush mounted mag system available for Rem 700 style actions.

The alternative we were going to use was a Williams or Sunny Hill BDL floor plate - this wasn't really what the end user wanted though.

Now if someone were to devise a bottom metal which allowed the use of Sako 75 mags……….they would be on to a winner.

Hi Ronin

Thanks for your reply, there doesn't appear to be a lot of choice out there when it comes to nice flush fitting detachable magazine systems

There isn't.

I really like the Williams and Sunny Hill floor plate systems, after all, they are as safe as a detach mag once the loaded round is extracted if your crossing an obstacle.

It would be useful if someone were to introduce a aesthetically pleasing mag system for stalking rifles (i.e. flush fitting)

It would be useful if someone were to introduce a aesthetically pleasing mag system for stalking rifles (i.e. flush fitting)

I totally agree and that is why my current stalking rifle is a semi-custom Sako 75.

Floor plate apart the rifle is lovely.

Thanks for posting Andy, you answer the questions much better than I could.

Let's see what magic James can come up with, and I'll send you pics of the outcome.

FWIW, I had a Sako 75 in 7-08, and it never did feed worth a damn, in spite of several visits to gunsmiths of repute. The 595 and 695 Tikkas are infinitely preferable to me. Maybe it was 'just me' !

Next up, will be to see how she shoots, and I'm looking forward to that.

ATB

P

I look forwards to seeing how it shoots as well!

I meant to pre warn you of the post but was waylaid - apologies.

The Alpine feeds fine with the brass provided, so long as it isn't a fast cycle, "slow is fast, smooth is fast"

Had this one done a couple of years ago (no longer own the rifle). When I ordered the Mcmillan Remington Hunter stock, I specified it was for a Borden Alpine action with the standard machined bolt, otherwise you end up with the Remington swept back bolt.

IMG_0224.jpg

Are stocks available to suit the straight bolt handle of this action? I presume the stock on this rifle was made for the slightly swept back bolt handle on a standard Remington?

Yes they are available with a straight bolt inlet, although this was discussed at the time of acquiring / choosing the stock, it does nothing to detract from the functionality of what will in essence be a working rifle.

Had I the right resin, colour mixes, I would have filled the "swept back" section - there is usually a little adjustments that need to be made with any stock to get the correct bolt closure (so it doesn't touch the inlet)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for posting Andy, you answer the questions much better than I could.

Let's see what magic James can come up with, and I'll send you pics of the outcome.

FWIW, I had a Sako 75 in 7-08, and it never did feed worth a damn, in spite of several visits to gunsmiths of repute. The 595 and 695 Tikkas are infinitely preferable to me. Maybe it was 'just me' !

Next up, will be to see how she shoots, and I'm looking forward to that.

ATB

P

Any pics of the finished rifle now its been cerakoted mate? How does it look and perform?

Archived