53gn Vmax and runners

Akeld

I've recently switched to these partly for the better BC and partly because Amax were out for the forseeable future, running them at just over 3700fps and anything headshot is great but chest shots (side on) seem to be producing runners, first fox side on at 200 yards, reacted to shot and ran into the thick rape crop, next fox 100 yards same thing but into a spud field. Anyone else finding this as its not exactly building my confidence with the load, looks like the Berger HP might be brought out of retirement

i use them in my br,had two tonight one i had to finish off frontal shot that went a bit wide and took out his shoulder not going anywhere but not dead either.no others spring to mind and i've been using them three years

I'm surprised to hear that chaps I used them for a short while and found them very explosive on pigeon crow rabbit ect and can't recall any foxes moving once hit, I only moved away from them as I was getting the odd flier all the time

Gaz

No not found that, shot a few fox's last week and all dropped on the spot, last Sunday a young cub at just under 200yds just rolled over and showed a large exit. So they expand pretty well, none of the others actually showed any exit, velocity around 3700 from a 22.250, maybe shot placement ??? Did you recover your shot fox's if so was there any signs of damage externally ???

No not found that, shot a few fox's last week and all dropped on the spot, last Sunday a young cub at just under 200yds just rolled over and showed a large exit. So they expand pretty well, none of the others actually showed any exit, velocity around 3700 from a 22.250, maybe shot placement ??? Did you recover your shot fox's if so was there any signs of damage externally ???

Both bled out with little to no sign of expansion,shot placement was where I wanted, from the replies so far I think its fair to say it might be down to a bad batch or just bad luck

• 2 months later...
Guest Stacka

I had exactly the same with my .222 on the smaller foxes about at the moment. I've moved back the Sierra Varmint in 50gr.

They seem to drop most of what I shoot.

I'm thinking about the Berger Grenades

I had exactly the same with my .222 on the smaller foxes about at the moment. I've moved back the Sierra Varmint in 50gr.

They seem to drop most of what I shoot.

I'm thinking about the Berger Grenades

Do you mean Barnes Varmint Grenades-they are highly frangible,designed for small varmints like ground squirrels and prairie dogs,and are probably not top choice for fox (fox are too big-as has been found on US coyotes).I haven't seen many users accounts here.

Berger do some good varmint bullets (Predators)-worth a look.But if Sierra varmint work.....?

Archived