AI mag length

oaken

Quote from CDI website regarding AI mags. ..........308 mag has an oal of 2.81" Can be modified and get oal of 2.950" by removing the magazines inner reinforcement plate.....

I need the extra length for what I have in mind, does removing this plate compromise the mag at all?

Who is cheapest uk supplier of AI mags?

Cheers

Rup

I did it on all of my 6.5 mags Rup, no real structural difference.

Just drill out two spot welds. The holes can be filled with devcon etc.

I just sold my last ones unfortunately.

Tony

Drill out the spot welds, remove the plate and re weld…..

Thats how I do them

Having a max length of 2.81" seems odd to me, I seat my rounds much longer than that and they fit in the mags fine.

Maybe the AW mags are different?

I'll get the caliper out and have a look..

I removed the inner plate on mine just as Ronin discribed. Took 20min max.

The longest my mag will now feed a 7mm SAUM and 168grn Berger is 2.975. I don't think you could push the COAL anymore than that before having issues.

I removed the inner plate on mine just as Ronin discribed. Took 20min max.....

Thanks. Is there not an opportunity for someone to retail these modified mags for the benefit of folk like myself who don't have access to a workshop?

Regards

JCS

Thanks. Is there not an opportunity for someone to retail these modified mags for the benefit of folk like myself who don't have access to a workshop?

Regards

JCS

Perhaps.

You really don't need a workshop. If you can live with the mag having two holes in the front then all you need is a vice, punch and 5mm drill bit.

If you pay postage I would do it for you.

Gents, be aware that purpose made drill bits are available for spot weld removal and make a much neater and smaller hole than a run of the mill twist drill. They are similar in appreance to an end mill cutter and have a central point that acts as a guide.

Example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291064568059?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Archived