Which boots ?

gunner

• 2 weeks later...

Lowa boots all the way. Still got my lowa mountain boots, having worn out Burma pro's and a pair muckboots in the same time.

Used to have scarpa, but then they changed the quality of the leather and the newer ones didn't last 6 months of work!

Unfortunately the best boots I've ever had (still wearing!) are a bit bright for shooting! But still the most comfortable, waterproof and robust boots I've had.

http://arborwear.co.uk/Meindl_Airstream_Chainsaw_Boots

A few years ago I needed some new boots and at a friends recommendation went to the Altberg factory (a 300 mile roud trip) to be fitted. I had to throw away my preconceptions and went with their recommendations - Meindls with aftermarket innersoles. In fact I bought 2 pairs, a pair of Burmas and a pair of Dovres. Best move I have made. I then bought another light weight nylon pair on fleabay. I would recommend at least 2 pairs of what ever you buy to give them a chance to dry out.

• 10 months later...

Lowa. A great variety to choose from. I have the Lowa patrol, which is the non-goretex version of the mountain, I also have the goretex combat boot and the lightweight recon.

Love Lowa.

Hate altbergs- especially the garbage the Army bought.- don't buy army surplus ones thinking you're getting a bargain- you aren't.

I have Lundhags and Hanwags. Both good boots but the Hanwag is easier to get on and off.

If expecting it wet though I go for the Lundhags (maybe plus Yeti gaiters depending on how wet is expected).

• 2 weeks later...

I have Meindl Glockners, Lundhag Professional High and Salomon Super Mountain.

I think that they are all good boots and have their applications.

Personally I go for the Glockners usually. Only thing that I would change about them is to make them a bit taller like the Dovers (which frustratingly fit differently so aren't any good for me).

I bought the Lundhags chap off a chap and to be honest I am surprised how much I like them now. When I first put them on (struggled to get my foot in) I was far from sure but now they have mounded to my feet a bit I really quite like them .............. apart from the fact that they look like something a storm trooper would wear.

Normal knocking about I wear the Salomons (cheap off ebay). They are tough and comfy, wouldlnt be my first choice for the hill all day because they are only short.

Summary, I would go for Meindl Glockners although I am going to try the Taigas next time round. Don't count the Lundhag out but they are pricey!

Dan

It is a pity there isn't a good representation of Danner boots in the UK. Of all boots (other than the usual Meindl, Lundhags etc) they are the only ones that seem to fit the bill, yet no good if one can't get them...

Meindl: I run a pair of Burmas.

Danner: I have a pair of Acadias and a pair of Jackals I use for stalking. The Jackals were cheap as chips in TKMaxx a few years ago. Gore-Tex and camouflaged nylon - superb.

danne148743_41875_jb.jpg

Danner Jackal

maximus otter

I think they are about to land Brian.

I opted to pay the customs charge up front as they ship through a company called Borderfree.

Lundhags are good, but for rugged as 'eck, carpet slipper comfortabubbleness that will last a lifetime, go and have a pair of Altbergs made to measure. They come from God's Own County and aren't as expensive as you may think. Our pair is 23 years old, has served from above the Arctic Circle to the desert swamps of Mesopotamia*, faced barbed wire, sand, ice and rocks, even a couple of splashes from a phosphorus grenade, and are just about ready for their first ever re-soling.

* Yes, oomans, you can get swamps in a nominal desert. Go google Shat al Arab

• 1 year later...

Danners are very good and I use them more than my Scarpas. Just to through another make in the mix

I've used the same pair of Danners for over 20 years now, comfort and quality and still keep the water out 100%

• 4 years later...

My old post , just thought id mention i did get some eventually but went for "Scarpa Khumbug gtx " so far very comfortable sturdy / heavy duty ill report back in a year or so see how they fairing then .. Atb

On 4/25/2014 at 4:16 PM, CZ Varminter said:

Chuck another in the mix Altberg? I have a pair of High Moor Keeper Boots, best boots I've ever warn. Comfy maintain feet temp etc...

CZV

A second here for Altberg (surprised and pleased to see them mentioned in the mix!). I've had their 'military' style black boots for 7 years and they're so comfortable and still going strong. Current price on website is £180 but you may be after a different style.