204 ruger on foxes

sako

I like the idea with low recoil,to reduce muzzle lift to use with the archer NV.

I hear lots of mixed opinions on the 204 ruger.Some people traded them in gone back to 223, and others say absolutely great.

I ran the ballistics but,Whats the real world reliability, for killing foxes at 250 yards?

Does the 32g factory ammo work at this distance on foxes?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a 204 will kill all day long at 250,i just keep off the shoulder.cant see the point in 32 gr as the 39/40 gr will do all that a 32 will and more

We'll said!

a 204 will kill all day long at 250,i just keep off the shoulder.cant see the point in 32 gr as the 39/40 gr will do all that a 32 will and more

Yep 39 grain here and the 204 is my go to gun for fox. You do have to think about wind, if it's windy though.

Or get a real foxing gun 223 ackley 40gr nozler 3960 fps, it still makes me laugh when you shoot a fox at around 250 yards you see the fox drop in the scope before you hear anything at all :)

Sorry guys at to say my bit on foxing

Gaz ;)

I ask re: 32g ammo as most factory rifles are 1 in 12 twist.

When I looked around the 39g blitz bullets were out of stock first, and hear some rifles won't shoot 40g as accurately?

I ask re: 32g ammo as most factory rifles are 1 in 12 twist.

When I looked around the 39g blitz bullets were out of stock first, and hear some rifles won't shoot 40g as accurately?

very true,i've never bought any factory ammo are there many who load with the 39's?

I haven't had any problems, I've taken several at around 250yds but never needed, or had the opportunity, to take any at longer range. I use Factory 32g Hornady Varmint Express Vmax as I'm not interested in reloading.

never used 32's myself and i'm sure they work very well,but on paper a least the 39/40 should be better energy/wind/drop at distance wise.did lose the first two fox i shot with my 204 when i first got it by taking shoulder shots so dont take shoulder shots any more and have no problems now dropping them on the spot

I haven't had any problems, I've taken several at around 250yds but never needed, or had the opportunity, to take any at longer range. I use Factory 32g Hornady Varmint Express Vmax as I'm not interested in reloading.

Have to agree never have any problems with the 32g Vmax knocking them over. My 1in12 Rem NV rig doesn't like the 40g but my 1in11 Pacnor barrelled 595 loves them.

See what your rifle likes - mine is so good with 32's that I have no intention of changing. I use it almost every night of the year, and very few foxes get up again after being shot - certainly no more than with any other calibre.

See what your rifle likes - mine is so good with 32's that I have no intention of changing. I use it almost every night of the year, and very few foxes get up again after being shot - certainly no more than with any other calibre.

Almost every night of the year wow, I thought I did a lot going 2-3 times a week, you must have a lot of foxes to shoot, unless your trying to hit the same one every night lol :)

Fair play Gaz

I use the 32 grain hornady and they kil foxes no probs. Only observation is that they dont punch quite as hard and "sometimes" the damage is less devastating. My lamp man maintains he is still not convinced and that the 22/250 55 grainers were better. Honestly dont think I lost more or killed less though

Almost every night of the year wow, I thought I did a lot going 2-3 times a week, you must have a lot of foxes to shoot, unless your trying to hit the same one every night lol :)

Fair play Gaz

I currently cover about 40,000 acres.

Fair play Gaz

I use the 32 grain hornady and they kil foxes no probs. Only observation is that they dont punch quite as hard and "sometimes" the damage is less devastating. My lamp man maintains he is still not convinced and that the 22/250 55 grainers were better. Honestly dont think I lost more or killed less though

I've shot more foxes with a .22-250 than I care to think about - they do hit hard, but I've come to prefer my .204.

Or get a real foxing gun 223 ackley 40gr nozler 3960 fps, it still makes me laugh when you shoot a fox at around 250 yards you see the fox drop in the scope before you hear anything at all :)

Sorry guys at to say my bit on foxing

Gaz ;)

Got one gaz hahaha

I've shot more foxes with a .22-250 than I care to think about - they do hit hard, but I've come to prefer my .204.

That is some ground to cover, we cover around 12-15 thousand acres and that's enough to get around. We mop up around 200 foxes a year and around 1000 plus rabbits a winter so that keeps us busy enough

Gaz

I've shot it :) it's not as good as mine ;) lol

Only joking :)

Seeing you shot mine Gazza how about me shooting yours mate haha

I've shot fox with .204R 32g and 40g Vmax, as well as .223 Rem 55g Vmax. I was lucky to find my CZ 527 shoots sub .5 moa with .32g and 40g, although a slight difference in p.o.i.

The max not quite out to 250 yards to be honest, but not far off. All stone dead instantly. I try to avoid a shoulder bone shot more so with the .204R though. More of a precaution really....

At 250 yards I think anything will kill instantly with a chest or head shot at 250 yards, from .22 Hornet upwards.

Jamie

i have taken foxes out to 300m with 32gr with now issues any engine room shot out to this range will put them down with ease.my little .204 loves the 32grs but not 39gr.

I have had one round blow up (sub 50m shot) on the shoulder it put a 1.5-2" deep coffee mug size hole into the fox it was was down couldn't move but not dead I have had foxes do runners after being shot but that was down to my p**s poor shooting where ive caught them through the gut . even then they don't go far 20-30m

i don't think you will be disappointed with a .204

I have used the 20 TAC and 17 Rem for foxes and the only bullet I used that I would question was the 20 grain Vmax where I did have some issues. A 32 grainer from my 20 running over 4000fps was never an issue and using 40 grain Bergers at 3850 seemed to do the trick too. My foxing loads for the 17 were either 25 or 30 grain bergers and never had anything I would consider not dead because of the bullet weight. 30 is heavy in the 17 so in theory a 32 travelling quicker in the 204 would be fine. I must admit my most prolific rifle combo was a 223 with 52 AMax traveling at 3400, but I was out 3 nights a week.

So from my perspective I would be fine with anything from a 17 shooting a 25 upwards.

A 270 WSM with a 130 Berger is a good tool too though.

Archived