Five in four on new permission

midas41

Hi all

I have been a lurker on here for a while now and have decided its time to start adding to the forum so here goes.

I had a call a couple of weeks ago from a distressed farmer that was loosing lambs at an alarming rate. He had been passed my number from a fellow farmer that I currently control the foxes for. It turned out the chap that did his fox control had retired last year and he had not replaced him (lucky me).

Anyway after a visit on the Saturday morning and a quick walk around I returned on the Saturday night.Setting up the 204 on top of some silage bales about 200 yards from a banking coming from a small copse and got the thermal out and scanned the area.About thirty minutes in a fox appeared but went up the banking about 300 yards away and quickly disappeared over the hill.Within ten minutes another appeared and started to make its way across the banking and stopped to have a sniff around giving me a shot of around 200 yards Bang!! and down the banking it rolled. It was the dog in the first picture and I was a happy chap.

Returning the following night the process was repeated and it resulted in the vixen in picture two once again I had a smile on my face.

The following Friday having drawn a blank on one of my other permissions I decided to call back as it was on my way home. I set up on the bales again as this seemed to be the 'hot spot' and low and behold within ten minutes a fox appeared and got the same treatment this was the dog at the top of the third picture.As I walked around the back of the farm to gain access to the banking to retrieve the fox the land opens into a small valley.Looking around with the thermal as I walked I spotted another fox coming straight at me.By the time I had found a fence post to lean on it was about 80 yards away and the the 32grn Vmax brought it to a stand still this is the vixen at the bottom the the third picture.

Having taken four foxes in a week I was pretty sure the culprit had been removed and was surprised when I got a call at 7.30 on Thursday morning saying that another lamb had been found minus it's head.I asked them to leave the lamb where it was and got up there on Thursday evening before dark and set myself out facing into the wind around 100 yards from the lamb and waited for dark.The night couldn't have been worse the mist had visibility down to around 150 yards and it started to rain just to top it off.About 45 minutes after dark I spotted a heat signature and identified a fox making its way down the field towards the lamb but it was on the skyline so didn't present a safe shot so I had to bide my time.It disappeared down a dip but shortly reappeared moving left to right towards the lamb but this time had a good back stop and at around 70 yards presented a simple shot the result being another dog in picture four.

As a result of the last two weeks I have gained the two adjoining farms and I will be walking them this weekend prior to starting on them this week.

Hopefully more reports will follow if people are interested.

post-11533-0-13327900-1396689419_thumb.jpg

post-11533-0-40593100-1396689584_thumb.jpg

post-11533-0-49044000-1396689595_thumb.jpg

post-11533-0-93273000-1396689607_thumb.jpg

Sound like you have got a bit of a job on there mate but you seem to have made a good start anyway. Its nice to know that your efforts are appreciated by the farmer enough that he is talling his friends/neighbours. Keep up the good work and more rewards will come i'm sure.

Ben.

welcome midas , of course were interested , i love reading accounts of varminting in the er varmint section . Good to hear your dropping Charlie with no probs with a .20 and 32grainers , - im changing to a .20 ! Happy days , keep it up . Oh and is your chosen name -midas41 after a comet or one of our outer larger planets moons ? Just getting in to astronomy abit :)

welcome midas , of course were interested , i love reading accounts of varminting in the er varmint section . Good to hear your dropping Charlie with no probs with a .20 and 32grainers , - im changing to a .20 ! Happy days , keep it up . Oh and is your chosen name -midas41 after a comet or one of our outer larger planets moons ? Just getting in to astronomy abit :)

Hi gunner

All I can say about the 204 and the 32grn pills is it they are a foxes nightmare!! fast flat and the perfect NV caliber. Regards my chosen name my mate Andy (camo 304) say everything I get involved with turns to gold :-) hence the name sorry no astronomy link.

Nice write up I enjoyed that and good shooting

(Like the leave the lamp part) getting my 223 next week for mr foxy what nv you using?

Thanks Cushty

I am using a Pulsar N750 with a Nightmaster 800 and find it plenty good enough for foxing. I have owned the best Gen3 tubed NV in the past including Raptors and PVS14s but decided the most important part of your kit is the spotter. I sold my tubed gear to finance my thermal spotter and it was the best move I have ever made in respect of night shooting.Granted the N750 image is not in the same league as Gen3 tubed but you can see the foxes well enough and put the crosshairs on them and that's all you need.

Archived