New NV worked a treat

Swamp Donkey

Well, I went ahead and bought the ATN MK440 Gen2+ NV scope, had a look around the farm on Wednesday night off the rifle, just to get the hang of it.

Zero'd in last night at an indoor range, but with the smog and fog around, I didn't do anything outside, but, I put an open pack of kitty food out again (4 nights in a row, always eaten)

Tonight, a bit of moon, and clear, so I went out for a shufty about. First stop, drop off some cat food, quick look around the farm but saw nothing, nil, zip, squat.

So I made my way back to the cat food, getting close I caught that telltale whiff of fox, so I pulled up and crept up to the hedge line, lifted the rifle up, and with the IR on the lowest setting, saw the eyes, so I steadily moved to a stable firing position, raised the gun, and I could just make out the farm lane 600yds away, nothing on it, the fox is happily munching the food 120 yds away, a quick whistle and it lifts it head for a look, and promptly received a 50gr vmax in the head.

Wandered over to retrieve my kill, went to take a pic, phone died. I'd forgot to charge it :(

Still, for a farm with 'no foxes' I think that's a result, and just as I'm getting back to the landy, the farmer was coming home and stopped for a chin wag, needless to say, happy that another is not going to be a pest.

So he's happy, and I'm happy and the baron vixon is sleeping, the bargain NV works a treat, all I need now, are a few more foxes to move in, I've seen four so far this year, only two on this farm :/

So if anyone local without nv has some lamp shy buggers, I'm happy to help you get rid of them

Pete

Nice1 , sounds like your setup is good un ;)

Part of the reason for going gen2 is the lower recoil 'capability' of gen3. As I want to use on the 444, gen 3 wouldn't last one shot as it's only rated up to 5.56 (pvs-14) due to the 'thin film' technology.

I could make out people moving around the edge of a wood 1000yds away last night, ok, was only 'movement' but good enough to know somebody was there.

If your at the roundhouse, have a look through, could be interesting there with no light pollution at all. With a 21% moon, should be good.

Pete

Archived