Varminting with HMR

gunner

hi peeps , its been a good day for me out on two shoots today ! i did take the 223 ackley as well but didnt need it ! - First farm as soon as i drove in the gravel track / drive spotted a carrion / @ 180 ish , it was a little windy today soo too far for a possible ! so carefully drove (in my van) closer but there notoriousley wary in this area ! off it went ! so i stopped and waited for a bit as i had woods either side of me and some times maggies and grey squirels are in the "open ground" and to my delight a maggie swooped out of nowhere and landed on deck ! ranged at just over 100y sweet , i slowley opened my driver door as i couldnt get the shot thru the window off the mirror as i regulluly do . aimed slightly off left to compensate for left to right wind and sent it - nice kill went straight down !

took both rifles and dog over to a huge back field sloping down and looks out over the river severn and you can see frampton WWT slimbridge from there ! had a few nice long shots from there in the past ! up to 365- crow ! but today didnt see much under 500 and it was too windy there and my kestral is bust so my tuff luck ! as it were the farmer started spreading and getin closer all the time off i went . Back to van put all kit away but the HMR just in case i get a shot on the way out . i spotted a maggie and raising gun out of window it seen my movement and i spooked it . BUT i did see a grey squirrel futher along one of the woods skulking around. i ranged him @ 150y and new he hadn't seen me , so got out opened side door rifle on top of roof sand bag under butt he was moving gradually and the wind was up ! This took 3 SHOTS- the first went high- now i know it was a split HMR case ! still there ! next shot i was holding off too much windage but i seen the splash and knew the next shot would be a goodun if the wind didnt change so as soon as he was still i shot it was another good kill , He just so happened to have his head down and the tiny bullet entered on the bridge of his nose and exeted out the lower rear skull and id seen a mud splash behind thru the scope also . sweet that was @146yards. that was the last shot on that farm. btw that farm is only 147 acres . and shot to sh#t by two GRUOPS of shooters almost every time i go there , there there ! and all they do is bang away at anything ! they bring kids and dogs theres like 6 of them every time and at least 2 dogs ! that must be there only shoot ! i dont talk to these muppets either !

next stop is even smaller but sheep fields ! The magpies are allways here when i drive in - im not lazy its just its right on the main road and they can see me coming down the road and as soon as i open the door there gone, and i never shoot straight after driving in ill let it settle for at least 20mins ! so i open gate drive in - off they went ! so i pull up and wait . pair of carion crow land some 200 away , i had to get closer with the cross wind ! i got it down to 110yds dropped the one and its partner was airbourne fast , i thought id be in with a chance but it never landed on the deck and he eventually buggered off ! never mind , i cut some sticks from a hedge row to pin him out like a decoy ! it worked but the maggies were back and i swiftly took #2 maggie only 70 yds but had to wait about 25-30 mins before its other half landed and i almost fluffed it when it moved ! but got him as well # 3 maggie and that was the last shot , apart from the jackdaw i missed @ 148ish - never mind !

sorry to bore you lol but it was one of the better outing iv had recently ! the other thing i need to sort out is photos , iv got a decent camera but need to use photo bucket i thinks , as i want to share pics like some of you guys do ! and you can see some of my kit and lovley dog and nice senery too :)

You are right about it being boring I fell asleep reading this.hahaha only joking mate nothing beats a bit of crow bashing carry on the good work......rem

Cheers guys , i must get the photos up and running for you to see ! This iv tried in the past but failed and gave up lol , but im now determined to get it working - Happy Hunting ... ;)

Archived