Few tips needed

Guest Stacka

Guest Stacka

Hi guys, I'm new here.

Right my old boy passed away last year, and I was gifted his rifles and permisions in his demise.

So after thinking about it I decided to take up his love for foxing. Now I used to go out with him when I was younger and had many a successful night. But now seemed to have lost the pazzaz so to speak.....so any tips? As iv not shot a single fox yet. I saw one last night, out of comfortable range, tried to call it in but it just wasn't interested ?

I'm using night vision, one of these digital Yukon Photon things iv brought. Which seems to be good for 200yards

A electronic fox call thing from best fox call UK

Plus all the different hand call things.

I only walk, no shooting from the vehicle.

My questions.

What's the best call to use? Both on the electronic caller or by hand?

Do I need to "bait" so to speak if so what sort?

What's the best general technique to use?

So many questions I know, but thanks in advance.

Craig

Best way is to find a local shooter and either go out with them, or invite them along to show you the basics.

As you say, there is lots to learn, and it'll take forever trying by reading off a forum.

Different times of the year make a difference as to what calls work, bait can be useful, wind direction, all has it effects.

This time of the year, I find trying to call them in tricky as they are busy shagging in my area, so a mating call often works, but the prevailing wind has meant that to be downwind, means I'm shooting (or not, as the case is) towards houses.

If they have been shot at and missed makes them more wary than usual, and a strange call can spook them.

If they have a good food source, and not hungry, they often won't come in to a call.

Also, it's worth getting on the ground without a gun, during the day, and recce the land, looking for runs, earths, poop spots and other 'territory markings' and trying to learn as much about movements as you can so you are at least looking in the right places

There's a start for you.

Pete

Guest Stacka

Yeah that's what I thought, in going out on another permission with a pal of mine to show me the ropes. This farmer is a funny old boy and isn't interested in any one else on his land, so it's a solo job. The set up is fairly unique.

The icotec thing I have, is that no use or should I flog it and get different one?

Icotec ? Is that a caller ? Keep it. Can never have too any calls at your disposal. There could be a real cracker on there.

If you are using a bipod, keep it set up ready, not folded ready to open when you see one, the 'twanging' from the springs is a great fox repellent I heard.

Your better off with a bit of bo than the smell of lynx's latest deodorant.

Any noise you make that you hear, so does the fox, anything un-natural to him and he's gone.

Roll around in rabbit guts, that masks your scent, and makes you the bait station too ;) also helps clear a spot at the bar when you grab a pint on the way home.

You obviously needs to be roughly in the right place and approximately at the right time, thats 2 major points covered. What's the ground you're shooting over ? Meadows,Grazing, look out for regular fox tracks, well trodden lines usually pretty straight and narrow, get out early whilst the dew is fresh. Or after a frost. They could follow hedge lines or cross fields, they will stick out pretty well.

That will give you the location of there runs, track them and see what else you can find, food source, earth's???

Then the time can be sorted out by a simple method using a cheap battery alarm clock a piece of string a plastic sandwich box and some bait(rabbit) fox takes bait pulls battery out stops clock.

Or put the caller out 150yards out in the field, get your flask out rifle at the ready get comfy on a camping matt, try the rabbit squeal on the caller and wait.

Get yourself a copy of one of Mr Bucknells books "foxing with lamp and rifle" you will find it helpful.

Oh! I forgot you most probably know, but to a Fox you stink bloody awful it won't want to be in the same county let alone the same field if it gets a wiff of you, it will try and get down wind from the call sometimes so keep an eye out behind. You could make some fox attractant out of horses hooves they love it, just a drop behind your ears lol mind though you may soon become single if your not already.

All the best, and shoot safe

jb1

If you have literally started just recently then you have probably picked the hardest time of the year in my opinion. Generally all the foxes at this time of year have learned the ropes and are wary. People might see them in day light but once its dark your fox will know the score.

More over, many vixens will be below ground in March with cubs and rarely venture out so your fox population has effectively halved from a lamping point of view.

Wind and concealment are key. If you are using NV then remember that your fox can see as well without it as you can with it, probably better as he has learned to spot trouble. Lamping has the advantage of obscuring you so if they are used to car lights etc it can be superior to NV for a truly wary fox if you are not sitting in ambush. I have seen foxes skidaddle at over 400m when they have seen me crest a hill in the dark (no lights at all). So if you havent got some cover and the wind right its highly likely that your foxes are clearing off without you knowing they were ever there!!

In 3 months time when the cubs start poking about it is a totally different score for a little while

You'd have thought it would've the safe and sensible thing to do. A couple of shots, on an approved range, big danger area, covered by basc, NRA, ukpsa insurance, first aid cover etc.

But, no. The bosses would rather me do it on a local farm, where dog walkers and horse riders pass through etc

Nobody 'up top' has the balls to actually say yes to allowing it to happen, because out of the 50000+ rounds going downrange in a day, they must think that me putting 5 down will somehow go wrong, and 'when' it does, they will be at fault for allowing it to happen. It's utter bol0x really, but that's the company for ya :/

Hi Stacka, As has already been said you are at the hardest time of the year to get to grips with foxes. I would say to you that its really hard to tell someone how to shoot foxes at night. It really is something that you have to get out and learn. If you can find someone to show you the way that they go about it and then adapt that to suit yourself and ground. Some foxes will respond to some calls where others will show no intrest at all. Having said that they can act completely diffrently on another night. Take your time. if you miss them it will be an uphill struggle to get them in again. Using night vision does give you an advantage over lampers but does not make you invisible. use the wind and keep quiet. If you can walk into the fox without calling they will never even know you are there. There is a lot of debate about it but I think that foxes can see Ir light but other will tell you they cant. Im sure that there are plenty of the guys on here who like me have shot hundreds of foxes over the years and will help you in any way they can. If you have questions just ask.

Good Luck,

Ben.

Guest Stacka

Ok iv not done too badly to start with, like you say it's a learn it yourself thing I think.

Just a odd question, if you miss a fox whilst using NV and electronic call....are they smart to it. There isn't really something they can associate with fear there is there.

Archived