I say 'car-less', but I have heard others pronounce it 'Karls'.

Not sure what the correct way is, sorry.

Another one here for "car-less"!

They are owned by Swarovski but I believe manufacture is carried in their own factory.

Having said that; around 14 years ago on a factory visit to Swarovski I had 30 minutes to kill before going on the underground range. (Ruger 222's with "set" triggers before you ask! :) )

I went for a wander around the back of the factory and noticed strewn around the rubbish bins lots of boxes with the name Hoya on. :ph34r:

As you probably all know Hoya is a proprietary optical glass manufacturer. I did some digging to see what the Japanese glass went into. The answer was that they "assemble" rifle scopes for importers who want their own name on them!

Probably no "r"...so Ka-less. The version 'call us',comes from a joke by the receptionist at the factory-"if you have a question,call us",or so the professor of european phonetics at Oxford told me-he's at Magdalen College,so judge for yourself!

It's polite to use the country of origin pronunciation when there(so 'Folvsvaaghen'),unless you are an american,who speak their own languages,often quite similar to english.

While we're at it on a 'too windy' Sunday morning,how about

Sako

Leupold

Shilen

Hodgdon

Geiselle

and that's just a sample;then there are the once simple BSA ,even SMLE...perhaps we should be grateful that Mannlicher and Koch never became an popular shooting item.

Gbal

Archived