Magpies

gunner

Its that time of year when im out after these little challenging feathered pests , this year im gunna start asap ! I noticed a few days ago a maggi allready building a nest ! Christ they dont hang about ! And after chatting with si-snipe recently ( he is an amazing marksman ! ) and seeing some of his awsome footage again on Utube iv really got the bug . weather is getting better and dryer ! Atm ill start with my hmr then hopefully not too far away im having a .20 practical built ( using 223Ai now ) for mostly daytime vermin . So anyone else share your magpie encounters, i will ;) cheers tim.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was after them the other day, but they are crafty buggers I sat the bait away 150 yards and they wouldn't come that close I was shooting them around 200 yards

6BD77885-6158-4BDF-B4B8-081ABB94BB98.jpg

Gaz

I blitz them hard but use larsens and then rifles for the ones that wont play. Got them down to a single pair last year and it took 2 months to nobble the last 2 with the rifle and shotgun. Last one involved me bursting out of the patio doors with the semi auto 12g like rambo and leathering it in the back field. Since then another pair turned up and I got em both in 10 mins with .17hmr.

Then insult to injury yesterday 4 (!!!) turned up yesterday. .17 from bedroom window got one.

Just bought more larsend for this year tho.

(for the record I dont live on a housing estate in toxteth!!)

:) cheers lads keep em coming , hopefully be out this weekend ! weather permitting . Ill have to cheak zero on hmr first - then on the hunt ! ;)

I burnt out three 220 swift barrels in the early to mid 90s when I was working on a wild bird shoot . they are fantastic for feathered vermin and the results are amazing to see first hand.

makes for great fertilizer

probably the best chuckle you can have with a rifle.

I used an ex MOD light weight land rover with the half window taken off , full Cammo hide with wheels .

I burnt out three 220 swift barrels in the early to mid 90s when I was working on a wild bird shoot . they are fantastic for feathered vermin and the results are amazing to see first hand.

makes for great fertilizer

probably the best chuckle you can have with a rifle.

I used an ex MOD light weight land rover with the half window taken off , full Cammo hide with wheels .

"I used an ex MOD light weight land rover with the half window taken off , full Cammo hide with wheels"

Now that would suit me a treat! :lol:

Were I worked in the Breckland in Norfolk , I had 2000 acres of root crops so I could plink all summer , we cleared the Maggie's up quick . After the spring blitz I waited with baited breath for the Carrion crow fledge in Thetford forest which bordered my beat , they were Golden weeks shooting young crows . Best fun ever .

But my best shot I think that sticks to mind is a stoat at 190 yards poking his head and chest out of a rabbit hole .

Its far easier to shoot avian vermin from a 4x4 etc rather than waiting for it.

I am setting my first Larsens tomorrow, I use a 17AH at the same time and nobble every one I can with it on the trap round. Had 175 a couple of years ago in a campaign running into Sept from March. Last year I had about 40 in a reduced campaign but cleared the lot out You have got most of them by late April usually. Have got maybe 50 to go at this year as I failed to nobble the incoming youngsters last August /Sept

A

Its far easier to shoot avian vermin from a 4x4 etc rather than waiting for it.

I am setting my first Larsens tomorrow, I use a 17AH at the same time and nobble every one I can with it on the trap round. Had 175 a couple of years ago in a campaign running into Sept from March. Last year I had about 40 is a reduced campaign. You have got most of them by late April usually.

But my best shot I think that sticks to mind is a stoat at 190 yards poking his head and chest out of a rabbit hole .

That was one unlucky stoat !!, remarkable shot though.

A

visited 3 shoots today , it was quite windy and iv broken my kestrel ! <_< limited my shots to 300 but still struggeled today, missed carion at 270 yards - not enough windage . But have managed to start my magpie cull with a lone 231 yarder ! - had 1 rabbit 1oo yarder , BUT my biggest annoyance was a grey squirrel just over 100 , i dialled 8 clicks - 2moa to account for my 200 yard zero ( 2" high at 100y ) and i dialled the wrong way ! IDIOT - i seen the large hole appear 4" above its head lol, how stupid ! At least it was a stunning day ! ATB-Tim

Just returned from dropping my boy off at the school bus stop, On the way back I counted between 13 to 16 magpies within a 10 yard diameter circle on the ground on some small-holdings!! I've never seen that many in one spot in my entire life! :o I slowed down to try and count them up, but they were just dancing each other around in a group! The only thing missing were handbags at their bl***y feet!

Oddly, I was infuriated at such a sight! And before anyone asks, no, not at the lack of handbags! :lol:

Joke and apart, would I be right in thinking they were fighting over a female??

7 so far this year in my back garden and next doors ( he hates the bloody things) using my trusty .22 HW 80. Didn't see any for a couple of weeks so thought I dealt with them however came back from a bike ride last Saturday and the wife had photographed 6 sat on a neighbours roof . :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

7 so far this year in my back garden and next doors ( he hates the bloody things) using my trusty .22 HW 80. Didn't see any for a couple of weeks so thought I dealt with them however came back from a bike ride last Saturday and the wife had photographed 6 sat on a neighbours roof . :mad:

lol nice , i do love air rifles for sniping them . Theres a certain tree they love 48 yards away , and my first milldot ( with .177 AAs410 ) is set as point of aim at that distance :) iv had two recently both one shot kills , its a credit to pcps accuracy and effectiveness . keep it up lads off soon with hmr to deal with some more :D

Edited by gunner

• 3 weeks later...

great post , i have a few greys im hopeing to nail tomorrow any baiting tips?

Around pheasant feeders are good if there's any about or a fox pro with the calls on

Gaz

great post , i have a few greys im hopeing to nail tomorrow any baiting tips?

Hi there , do you mean squirrels ? Iv used peanut butter that worked good but really need to bait at least a few days . What you shooting them with ?

Magpies and Grey crows are evil. I use an fac air rifle for some of them, 12ga sa for decoying and. 223 for long range with 40gr Vmax, red mist lol

Those birds do awful damage to the lambs