Banking and firearms

londonhunter

Has anybody experience problems when transacting firearms through uk banks ?

I have had issues with us banks for years but I feel now there is an unspoken rule

Certain bank when they learn that we are paying for firearms related items they will politely refuse

I just had a payment returned today trying to pay for something I bought from the shooting shed

I'm in the process of opening a small business account to enable me to bring in bullets and barrels from the USA.

HSBC point blank refused to give me an account as it was firearms related and not the sort of business they wanted in their portfolio.

I have banked with them for years but told them I would be unable to keep my investments with them!!!!!?

I walked into Lloyd's and they opened me an account with no issues what so ever, so they now have my personal accounts.

The only thing they mentioned was there were certain countries they will not allow people to deal with, when I said I would only trade with the USA and Europe their were no issues.

I also heard that the Co-op was very anti firearms as well.

Perhaps we should remember this and move accounts away from banks with poor attitudes to firearms and tell them why!!!

Dave

Seems like a can of worms here boys

Some of us are lucky so far

Some of us have hit a brick wall from the start

Some of us have found a few loops holes

Whatever it is us shooters have to stick together and share information

HSBC for certain is anti shooting

Also it seems like if junior staff are alerted or trained to enforce this policy or not

If they are not then transactions goes through without hiccups

Never had a problem with Nat West. They hold all my accounts including the business ones, which are all firearms related.

They were the old BFSS bank.

The co-op would not get the steam off my s......

Anti,s.

I have had issues with us banks for years but I feel now there is an unspoken rule

Certain bank when they learn that we are paying for firearms related items they will politely refuse

I just had a payment returned today trying to pay for something I bought from the shooting shed

If there were sufficient funds in the account and the purchase was legal I'd report them to some sort of banking ombudsmen

as they have no right to refuse such things

My little part time business which holds an RFD has an account with HSBC, opened in the last 6 months. It was a complete ball ache opening the account and they came up with all sorts of ridiculous ideas about why they couldn't. As it happens, in my full time job I work in the financial services industry and hence knew the right things to say etc. and got the account opened. Their anti/ignorant attitude to the legal firearms industry did however leave a lasting impression on me. I am therefore voting with my feet and am in the process of moving all my personal and business banking to Handelsbanken.

Cheers

Rich

we have seen a number of dealers recently having accounts closed, refused card machines and credit, or having those services withdrawn and even refused car insurance, believe it or not those involved in legitimate firearms business are considered bad business by some establishments.

My little part time business which holds an RFD has an account with HSBC, opened in the last 6 months. It was a complete ball ache opening the account and they came up with all sorts of ridiculous ideas about why they couldn't. As it happens, in my full time job I work in the financial services industry and hence knew the right things to say etc. and got the account opened. Their anti/ignorant attitude to the legal firearms industry did however leave a lasting impression on me. I am therefore voting with my feet and am in the process of moving all my personal and business banking to Handelsbanken.

Cheers

Rich

+1 Handelsbanken are the way forward, everything is done at branch level, no call centres, the credit control is done in branch, if you have any problems you pick up the phone and speak to a branch member, and the chairman shoots and is open about it.

My wife works in finance her view is

All banks have a list compiled for anti terrorist. An automated machine might have picked up the word "shooting" on the cheque and thrown it out as Shooting might be on the list. Call and asks them to make the payment, it's illegal for them not to unless its in the terms and conditions.

I use Barclays and unsurprisingly, given their track record, have had no problems at all. Even making international payments for stuff

Likewise Lloyd's were spot on and even opened me a dollar account so I can buy dollars when the price is right.

It also takes away the uncertainty of exchange rates when waiting for items to come in and makes payments straight forward.

Cheers

Dave

I'm with Barclays, and after a bit of a battle they let me have a ePDQ facility.

Mind you at £30/month and 3% surcharge on transactions I decided to cancel it

I use PayPal business, 20 per month for a virtual terminal, plus standard tiered % of value transaction,can take payment over phone or face to face, online etc etc,been using it for 5 years now, no issues. It works out cheaper than hsbc card machine.

Look into it..

Archived