6.5 4S Saum

Well it has been a long wait, in fact about three years since I first inquired about a KMW Sentinel stock.

Built by Neil McKillop (McKillop Rifles)

Surgeon action

KMW Sentinel stock (March scopes UK)

Benchmark 1-8 twist barrel (March scopes UK)

Ceracoat by James Clark (Jager Sporting Arms)

Jewell

Sightron 10-50x60

For a full read on the 6.5 4S Saum. be warned there's a lot of it.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/185807-new-gap-extreme-hunter-6-5-saum.html

039a_zps33a7d5c9.jpg

012_zpsab277561.jpg

030_zps54058b7f.jpg

6.5 4S Saum with a 140 gr Berger Hybrid alongside a 270/7/WSM and a 180 gr Berger

012a_zpsdae79470.jpg

Brass is very expensive to buy ready made from the US, so in time I will make my own from Norma 300 Saum brass. This should be a relatively easy process by sizing it down in three steps to 6.5, expanding it and then neck turning to a .15 neck wall thickness.

Load data

H1000 from 60.7 to 61.8

CCI magnum primers

140 gr Berger Hybrids

Four shot groups at 100 yards

Shame about the thrown shot, I think perhaps a change of primer might correct this.

DSC00124_zps197169bb.jpg

That's a cracker, two questions. What's the significance of the '4S' in the designation? What dies are you using? Thanks JCS

I kid you not, Super secret squirrel sh1t

The dies are Redding S type 7mm Saum dies, supplied by Copper Creek in the US.

Hi Elwood,

Handsome looking rig, what is going to be its primary role - target shooting ?

Any idea what it weighs all in, a similar build but in a more mainstream calibre like a 6.5 x 47 would make a lovely bunny bashing rig,

Regards

Jealous

Elwood,

Finally made it to 'the club' then? :ph34r:

Looks very nice indeed, what speeds are you getting? Try Russian primers.

Thanks Terry, I just need to finish it off with a 5-40 March! next year perhaps.

Do you mean the Murom primers? it just so happens I have a 1000 here.

As for speed I'm going to try and keep the 140's to about 3050-3080 and hopefully keep the pressure around 55,000 psi which is supposed to be the secret behind the good barrel life in what would appear to be an obvious barrel burner. Of course I will shoot them where accuracy is at the best and if that means running them faster then so be it, Barrels are bad and must be punished.

Hi Elwood,

Handsome looking rig, what is going to be its primary role - target shooting ?

Any idea what it weighs all in, a similar build but in a more mainstream calibre like a 6.5 x 47 would make a lovely bunny bashing rig,

Regards

Jealous

17.4 lbs

"Barrels are bad and must be punished"

LOL.

What's the COAL with the 140's?

I assume your using a AI mag.

Yes I'm using a modified AI mag. It was originally done to accept a 7 WSM, so the 7mm Saum works fine.

Coal for the 140 Hybrid is 2.908

I have the 140 JLK's at 2.930 coal (+20 thou) and there's still room in the magazine.

Very Nice Ian,

I'm building one for myself right now, but going with a tight neck……….have amassed a lot of Rem brass and 25lbs of H1000, so hoping she'll be a keeper!

Very Nice Ian,

I'm building one for myself right now, but going with a tight neck……….have amassed a lot of Rem brass and 25lbs of H1000, so hoping she'll be a keeper!

Hi Paddy, would that be a .296 or smaller tight neck? mine is the .296

H1000 is useless, sell it quickly :)

Let me know how you get on with your load data, and I will do likewise.

Thanks Terry, I just need to finish it off with a 5-40 March! next year perhaps.

Do you mean the Murom primers? it just so happens I have a 1000 here.

Ian - the 5-40 would be just fine - think they now do them in 'inch' adjustments and ret for you target guys :P

Yes the Murom primers (also under the PMC label), think 'others' have had improved results in the modern WSM/SAUM/x47 concept of case.

T

• 1 year later...

Archived