Wind reading

Also Nancy Tomkins' book, which is much more than just about reading the wind although it has an excellent chapter on it - it covers all the fundamentals of long-range prone shooting.

http://rifleshootingbynancy.com/

The Linda Miller / Keith Cunningham book is much cheaper though, and I'd say make that a first choice.

To be honest I would suggest any of the aviation weather books. They give you an understanding of the bigger picture which in turn explains a lot of what happens at and around ground level. To understand wind, you also need to understand the relationship between wind, cloud formations (at low level), air temperature and ground temperature and pressure.

Understanding Met is fairly straightforward however it is surprising how few can link events such as lee side rotor or valley winds that may be found along a glen with the wind they encounter from their shooting position. Unless you wish to study Met seriously, aviation books in my opinion have some of the best descriptions. You could of course spend a few weeks with the 'interesting folks down in Exeter.

Aye, well you just start with the books ^_^ .

We have been on LFTTA's in the past with some individuals who did have an issue trying to understand and explain what the wind was doing downrange in fairly straightforward met conditions.

The OP asked for info on understanding wind, a meteorological phenomenon and advice was given. As the best understanding comes from more knowledge; as stated previously unless you wish to spend time in the Met college in Exeter the best info on met for the lay person is, in this posters opinion found within Met books aimed at aviation. Horses for courses old chap.

I found the article provided by Chris-NZ very interesting, specifically the part that said "That as a general rule the flag nearest the shooter has the greatest effect. The reason for this is the wind nearest the shooter starts the projectile moving sideways."

I have been told this before, but there is a degree of logic that says that as the bullet slows down so the wind would have an increasing effect over distance. This is confirmed in the following paragraph in the article. Very puzzling.

I hope the wind reading part of the GB F-Class course will clear this up for me.

I found the article provided by Chris-NZ very interesting, specifically the part that said "That as a general rule the flag nearest the shooter has the greatest effect. The reason for this is the wind nearest the shooter starts the projectile moving sideways."

I have been told this before, but there is a degree of logic that says that as the bullet slows down so the wind would have an increasing effect over distance. This is confirmed in the following paragraph in the article. Very puzzling.

I hope the wind reading part of the GB F-Class course will clear this up for me.

Indeed-both of course have an effect-perhaps cumulative,if you are fortunate,which is greatest would be some complex math,even if the wind vectors (etc) were accurately known over the entire bullet path,which they never are....hence 'sighters' ! But hopefully the course will be helpful.

Gbal

A great deal depends on the combination of range physical features and wind direction. Those furthest from the firing point may well be the most important in some combinations. The 'trick' is often knowing which one to look at and that may require local knowledge. For instance, at Diggle is not too unusual for the nearest flags to the long distance firing points on the main range ('C') show a slight left to right wind while you actually need several 'minutes of right wind' on the sights, those at the far end of the range providing more useful.

The 'nearest to the muzzle has the greatest effect rule' only applies in prairie type situations with a wind that is pretty well constant in strength and direction throughout the bullet's flight. The only range I shoot on that comes close to that is Strensall on the wide open, flat Vale of York, but even here some of the ranges have lanes that are flanked by stands or lines of trees that will affect some wind conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

there is simply no substitute for experience. go to a f-class or tr match with a pair of bins or spotting scope, sit yourself behind the shooters, watch the conditions and see if you can see the conditions change and watch the results on the targets. it's easier at longer ranges normally. in many respects, watching inexperienced shooters will offer you more opportunity to learn as chances are they will miss the condition changes.

what to take your condition read from is very much range dependent on the individual range topography. it is also very dependent on where you are along the firing line. get stuck over on the right hand side on stickledown at 1000 yards and you may get a kicking compared to the guys 30 yards left of you....

lots of good advice above, but you need to get out and learn. much of the us info is based on mirage reading, but mirage in the uk is very different to that in the us.

often the guy that wins a detail is the guy who picks the right flag or condition "tell" to watch first....

happy shooting

derek

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this will help, but I did find it interesting as to what the wind does when traversing over land.

A link: http://www.firemodels.org/downloads/behaveplus/publications/FireWeather/pms_425_Fire_Wx_ch_06.pdf

Archived