Shooting in gusting wind

Roe

Just a short video to show my prefered method for shooting in gusting wind.

I click for the main wind and hold as required during the gusts. I don't wait for perfect winds, I shoot when the target is presented.

Some people advocate just holding off for wind alltogether, but for me that doesn't work. I sometimes have the opportunity for take two or three shots, and combining wind holdoff + moving target lead is... meeh, unable. Besides, you really shouldn't mess with the automated response a perfect sight picture gives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ConYo0uLctY

hi roe

liked your video,as always ,ive never seen a card like that before [1.38 seconds into film ]

very informative

Useful, easy to do-on military falling men ranges etc,where targets don't move,just make a sketch of where they are and lazer range them and write it down beside each one.(fire control might even tell you,in metres).Simples.In field shooting,do the same for prominent markers-tree,big stone etc as a guide to ranges,if field shooting some other time.Handy if you forget your lazer...Don't of course shoot your markers! (safety!)

You could easily add the 'clicks up' beside each distance.Easy peasy...now for the wind......!

Gbal

Useful, easy to do-on military falling men ranges etc,where targets don't move,just make a sketch of where they are and lazer range them and write it down beside each one.(fire control might even tell you,in metres).Simples.In field shooting,do the same for prominent markers-tree,big stone etc as a guide to ranges,if field shooting some other time.Handy if you forget your lazer...Don't of course shoot your markers! (safety!)

You could easily add the 'clicks up' beside each distance.Easy peasy...now for the wind......!

Gbal

Think rem was talking about Thomas's group analysis crib card.

Think rem was talking about Thomas's group analysis crib card.

Yes,of course-the "common shooter errors" grouping pictures.

Like reading 1.38 seconds to mean 1.38 seconds rather than 1 min 38 sec.Put it down to shooter error in "dialing in" in the heat of the moment;tricky thing this precision shooting.I'll just count the clicks til my hearing finally goes....:-)

Rem-it is a good crib sheet/guide,isn't it,everyone should have a copy.Mea culpa.

Gbal

PS I might have misunderstood what 'the automated response a perfect sight picture gives ' in the context of holding off for wind-I need to check my hearing ASAP!

That card was part of my self-help initially, since there was so much discomfort and non-feeling in my shooting I had to be a little systematic and try focus on what I could correct. Seems like I'm left with problems directly connected to the hand now, can't really feel much so very difficult at present to tell if I'm doing it right before the shot goes.

People started asking for them, so I made a bunch. Will however look at different manufacturing methods; the materials. engraving and expense is just silly overkill for this.

Archived