Safety concern: Unique Alpine TPG1, Safety catch operation or trigger adjustment?

AI Perfector

Safety concern: Unique Alpine TPG1 safety catch operation can allow discharge of weapon on moving safety catch to Fire position after trigger pull with safety catch in Safe position. Design fault (surely not) or trigger adjustment required?

The sequence is set out below but you may also wish to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKCEqKXb5Q

Apply Safety at rear of bolt by lowering toggle lever
Chamber a round.
Aim at bullet catcher
Pull trigger icon_biggrin.gif– firing pin, being restrained by Safety toggle lever, moves forward only by a thou' or two before being held/caught by transverse S/S pin within the bolt and does not impact on primer to cause detonationicon_sad.gif

Hmmm.icon_confused.gif

Aim at bullet catcher
Raise Safety lever – firing pin releases and gun fires!!icon_surprised.gif

I'll try and get the video up and will update this thread if I am able.

In the meantime, it's been suggested that trigger mechanism cleanliness and/or settings needs discounting.

Any observations you may have would be well received.

Thanks, Spud.

I don't see a connection between the trigger sear and the bolt safety so the trigger mechanism would seem, i.m.h.o., to be absolved of responsibility. But let us see what the experts out there contribute. The important thing is to know of the idiosyncrasy, if that is what it is, and ensure that it is recognized by all TPG 1 users.

Not having handled a UA TPG1 or adjusted the trigger on one, my semi-educated guess would be that the rifle has been improperly adjusted and is suffering from insufficient sear engagement. When you pull the trigger with the safety on the sear is moving a tiny amount and the firing pin tension is being fully taken up by the safety catch cross bar, thereby making the safety catch the new trigger.

From my googling on the subject it seems that UA are not particularly forthcoming with trigger adjustment instructions, preferring the work to be carried out by a suitably trained gunsmith, or at the factory.

York Guns should at least be able to scan/send you the relevant information from the service manual, so that you can correctly identify the sear engagement screw and adjust it to alleviate your problem.

Not having handled a UA TPG1 or adjusted the trigger on one, my semi-educated guess would be that the rifle has been improperly adjusted and is suffering from insufficient sear engagement. When you pull the trigger with the safety on the sear is moving a tiny amount and the firing pin tension is being fully taken up by the safety catch cross bar, thereby making the safety catch the new trigger.

From my googling on the subject it seems that UA are not particularly forthcoming with trigger adjustment instructions, preferring the work to be carried out by a suitably trained gunsmith, or at the factory.

York Guns should at least be able to scan/send you the relevant information from the service manual, so that you can correctly identify the sear engagement screw and adjust it to alleviate your problem.

This is the Manual on UA's web site. http://www.unique-alpine.org/index2.html Pretty comprehensive in many ways and sometimes repetitive.

In respect of the Trigger mechanism, UA comment in the above Manual as follows:

Adjustment of trigger
Please follow the instructions of use for the trigger unit built into your rifle, which have been enclosed separately.

Not very helpful if one doesn't have the original paperwork!

I have a UA and just compared the operation of my rifle with your video. The key difference is that if I cock the bolt, apply the safety and pull the trigger, there is no movement visible on the firing pin so that taking the safety off does not fire the rifle. 4 years ago, I contacted the factory to get info on trigger adjustment. They sent me 3 photos showing the key adjustments plus some information.If you PM me your e-mail id I will forward them to you. I must point out that my trigger is 2 stage and there was a difference explained in how the adjustments applied.

I have a UA and just compared the operation of my rifle with your video. The key difference is that if I cock the bolt, apply the safety and pull the trigger, there is no movement visible on the firing pin so that taking the safety off does not fire the rifle. 4 years ago, I contacted the factory to get info on trigger adjustment. They sent me 3 photos showing the key adjustments plus some information.If you PM me your e-mail id I will forward them to you. I must point out that my trigger is 2 stage and there was a difference explained in how the adjustments applied.

You're a star. PM follows

• 2 weeks later...

Update 8Oct13: Progress with UA per E-Mail as follows:

Concerning your Problem:

This can be the Issue when:

1. Sear overlap is to small :

Because of a: Adjustment of Sear
b: Trigger Stop wrongly adjusted
c: Trigger weight to light adjusted

2. residue (eventually old oil) stopping Sear to travel.

We do have an revisions service, in case you would like to service your rifle which is free of charge, the owner only has to ship the rifle (or Parts of it) to us.

In your Case this would be the Rear Stock and the Receiver, no barrel no bolt.

Once received we would service the rifle and return it to you.

Further we also do have a new military Trigger Pack, (two Stage), which could be fitted (Some small work on the Chassis is required).
This trigger pack got an extended temperature range (-60 to +60° C) and is dirt protected. We do offer an upgrade (in exchange ) for 150 Euro instead of 280 Euro (Part Price). But, you have to know that military trigger packs have an min. weight of 2,5 Pound, however it is a very crisp trigger with an excellent trigger characteristic.

According our Email System, I have to regret but our email system got hacked 2 Times the last 12 month, so safest to reach us would be by FAX (+498122 9797230) if you do not get an answer in time.

Thank you for your patients!

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Stefan Holme

Unique Alpine AG
Rennweg 27
85435 Erding
Germany

Tel. +49 8122 9797 360
Fax. +49 8122 9797 230

sth@unique-alpine.com

Archived