starlight archer

neil.

Hello everybody, this is my first post. Ive been thinking for a little while now about getting a decent nv setup, mainly for foxing on my 22-250. I definatly want an add on unit and was thinking of a starlight archer. My question is i currently have a zeiss victory 6x24-56 fl t on the rifle with an illuminated 60 ret. does anyone use nv through zeiss fl glass? if so is it awful/ok/fantastic :) ? ive heard nv through the more expensive coated glass isnt as good as some of the more mid priced optics? what i definalty wont be doing is ditching the zeiss as i love its low light ability etc etc. i do have a spare zeiss victory non ill mil dot ret in the same mag range but not fl glass, would this be any better? i'm guessing not as to my eyes atleast there is no difference optically between them! so will probably sell that one to fund the nv.

I use an archer on a swaro pvi2 6-24x50, works many times better than it did on the leupold 4.5-14x50 that starlight reccomended. Cant comment on zeiss lens coatings

Starlight have a few agents around doing demo's, try before you buy if you can..

Pvs 14 or envis mate better tubes and alot lighter than the archer. Think I have heard of addons being used with the victories but If I remember right they had a bit of an issue with the dsa as the eye bell is tapered. But I might be wrong. Where are you based I'm sure someone will show you there kit as with all nv you need to try before you buy

Or you could go with the longbow fitted with a hand picked tube the same as the pvs14 and trust me you would be happy I AM but you would be 7k ish out of the pocket.I use a pvs14 for spotting and the longbow on the .223 and what a deadly combination,if it moves in your area you will see it CLEARLY

Pvs 14 or envis mate better tubes and alot lighter than the archer. Think I have heard of addons being used with the victories but If I remember right they had a bit of an issue with the dsa as the eye bell is tapered. But I might be wrong. Where are you based I'm sure someone will show you there kit as with all nv you need to try before you buy

Hi who supplies the PVS 14 in the U K .

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everybody, this is my first post. Ive been thinking for a little while now about getting a decent nv setup, mainly for foxing on my 22-250. I definatly want an add on unit and was thinking of a starlight archer. My question is i currently have a zeiss victory 6x24-56 fl t on the rifle with an illuminated 60 ret. does anyone use nv through zeiss fl glass? if so is it awful/ok/fantastic :) ? ive heard nv through the more expensive coated glass isnt as good as some of the more mid priced optics? what i definalty wont be doing is ditching the zeiss as i love its low light ability etc etc. i do have a spare zeiss victory non ill mil dot ret in the same mag range but not fl glass, would this be any better? i'm guessing not as to my eyes atleast there is no difference optically between them! so will probably sell that one to fund the nv.

Hi a friend of mine has the Archer on his Zeiss Victory with 60 ret ,he is very pleased with the combo ,

the only down side is that where you attach the mount,you need to tape it up because it tapers.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just taken delivery of a Gen 3 grade A Archer. I mounted it on the back of a Zeiss 6-24x56 Victory. It has #63 ret.

Last night I was shooting rabbits at 253yds no probs. I used the range finder to give me the distance since it's early days with this kit and I'm still very much in the discovery mode regarding range estimation.

I was worried about the lens coating on the high end scope but it doesn't appear to be a problem. A bit of electrical tape solved the eye bell taper problem.

One suprise is that the NM800IR was pants with this set up. I tried the class 3 laser that comes with it and it was very good. I don't know why, perhaps it's somthing to do with the wavelength, or it might be due to the eye melting power from the Firefly. I foresee more testing in my future.

ATB

I have zeiss victory 4-16x50 and an archer, havent used them together yet but expexting great things. Previously used a swaro 6-24x50 with great results.

Get to it mate. I've heard so much about how top end scopes don't like NV add-ons. There might be better than Zeiss out there but I can't live with cheap cr@ppy optics as a trade off for NV use.

ATB

Get to it mate. I've heard so much about how top end scopes don't like NV add-ons. There might be better than Zeiss out there but I can't live with cheap cr@ppy optics as a trade off for NV use.

ATB

Ive just bought a Swaro Z6 2.5 - 15 x 56 for my archer and it's fantastic.

Ive just bought a Swaro Z6 2.5 - 15 x 56 for my archer and it's fantastic.

Yes I run a Sworo Z6 5-30 with an Archer and its good, if you view my previous posts you will see that I have tested many scopes with the Archer. I spoke to Andy recently and suggested the Z6 2.5-15/56 would be the best out there and it seems he is happy. for me I needed the extra mag, and after testing Zeis Nightforce, smits, Leupold and Bushnell and the lower end stuff, the new generation 2 Z6s are the best, the old Z6 does not work so well. If you only have the money for one item then my advice would be Thermal for all you fox shooters.

ATB

Mike...

I just got my archer retubed and have it on a PM2 and yes I can see through it without the laser but only if a reasonably light night.

As regards the NM800 I cannot get away with it with any of my NV when mounted on the rifle. I am convinced it is because the NM800 throws quite a lot of light out the sides even when on a tight beam. The result is IR glare which knackers your image thro the NV. The only guy I know who gets away with it has his NM800 mounted really far forward of his scope.

I just got my archer retubed and have it on a PM2 and yes I can see through it without the laser but only if a reasonably light night.

As regards the NM800 I cannot get away with it with any of my NV when mounted on the rifle. I am convinced it is because the NM800 throws quite a lot of light out the sides even when on a tight beam. The result is IR glare which knackers your image thro the NV. The only guy I know who gets away with it has his NM800 mounted really far forward of his scope.

hi I use a NM ir with no problem ,I have the sun shade on the scope and my silencer is an A TEC which I have covered with camo tape and sprayed the top edge mat black, have you tried it after removing the mod?another thing is I use 2 scope mounts instead of one ,this also helps.

I also use a NM with the archer very clean and clear light, if I was to buy a new archer I'd ask starlight to keep their firefly laser and knock £340 off the price!!

Ive also found if you put some tape over the bottom third of your objective lens then it takes out all the glare..

Yes, I can also see well enough to take a shot without any IR on a suitable night i.e. plenty of moon.

I also use a NM with the archer very clean and clear light, if I was to buy a new archer I'd ask starlight to keep their firefly laser and knock £340 off the price!!

Ive also found if you put some tape over the bottom third of your objective lens then it takes out all the glare..

Yes, I can also see well enough to take a shot without any IR on a suitable night i.e. plenty of moon.

I see, so it appears to be reflected IR light. I have mounted the NM forward on the scope. I'll have to revisit this to see if I can't cure my problem.

All I can see through my scope without IR is dark. With a 3/4 moon you get not so dark dark. I certainly wouldn't dream of taking a shot without light, I need to see more to make certain the shot is safe...folks turn up in the most unexpected places sometimes.

ATB

I see, so it appears to be reflected IR light. I have mounted the NM forward on the scope. I'll have to revisit this to see if I can't cure my problem.

All I can see through my scope without IR is dark. With a 3/4 moon you get not so dark dark. I certainly wouldn't dream of taking a shot without light, I need to see more to make certain the shot is safe...folks turn up in the most unexpected places sometimes.

ATB

I also found that the neoprene cover on mod was causing a lot of problems with glare back, took it off and it helped!

Thanks for the heads up guys. I've Just got back from a play.

The NM IR re-mounted on the back of the scope has improved things dramatically. I think there might be still a bit of glare since the image is not quite HD like the Firefly...but certainly it's not going to be an issue. I forgot to try it with the killflash on...I'll try that next time I'm out foxing. The NM IR is a lot more stable than the included laser since it doesn't move about when the rifle is on the back seat of the truck.

I also discovered that closing the iris down gets rid of the blaze that tends to show up in the centre of the scope at high magnification. I can now use X 24 mag with a perfect picture...just a tad dimmer...happy days.

ATB

A picture of what mate?

ATB

a picture of my T3 with all the trimmings , Archer ,X searcher, but extension with adjustable but pad home made of corse :) and AIM but pad.

Archived