Best motor for lamping/hunting?

breachloader

I have been out foxing in a lot of 4x4's, landy's, Suzuki sj, hilux, daihatsu, l200, Isuzu rodeo, and the Isuzu trooper if you can find a clean 3.1 swb you will have a great tool to your foxing out fit. They have a high seat low window set up and the mirror is spot on for a rest. If you jam your foot on the centre console using your knee as a steady for your trigger arm it all becomes very steady. I never got stuck in it. There is a handle down beside the gear change where you can push fit the rifle when not in use. I used it for foxing, stalking, towing the caravan on holiday, the lot. When it finally was going to cost to much to get through mot I gave it to my keeper mate and we still use it now on the estate. Just my opinion

• 1 month later...

I reckon the ultimate lamping vehicle would have to be a Merc Unimog, high vantage point, plenty of ground clearance, go virtually anywhere, might be a touch heavy on fuel but a great shooting platform!

Tax it as a 56mph tractor and run it on red !

I had a 1972 range rover v8 cut down with a series three body on..... For shooting great....

Tax exempt

Cheap insurance

Go anywhere, and didn't mind the mess.

For shooting.... Fold the screen down, take the windows off.... 180* angle, really good if your out on your own.....

We customised it purely for shooting.

Downside .... Two people.... Two guns..... Two lamps etc etc.... It's tight in a truck cab

V8...... You don't want to go too far

I sold it and bought a 110 double cab...(family getting bigger).. Wish I had the old one back (for shooting)

If you have the room.... I'd go for a cheap shooting vehicle, and a nice car. (But I don't travel far for my shooting ...10 miles)

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Have a Gaitor or something if you have the budget.

I gave up having an off roader for lamping and family car years ago. Too much damage out lamping and family don't like dead bits in the back.

Ended up with this.... cheep as chips:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/IMG_3976.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/IMG_4549.jpg

TD4, Mud terrains, sump guard and its an auto box. Never got stuck and pulled out a good few other 4x4's of every make; all had the wrong tires. 4th year and when it breaks properly it can go into the skip and I'll find another.

My other cars a Volvo XC70, brilliant car.

probably not the best , but i had a yamaha Raptor 700R fully plg , it turned heads everywhere , never took it lamping - didn't want to risk damaging it . i miss that quad ..twas soo rapid ...

probably not the best , but i had a yamaha Raptor 700R fully plg , it turned heads everywhere , never took it lamping - didn't want to risk damaging it . i miss that quad ..twas soo rapid ...

You could of saved on bullets and just run em over

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had landrovers for my work motors for years and they are good to shoot out of and spy and are hardy but they have no room inside the cab and are nowhere as good off road as they used to be and have a lot of reliability issues. I now have a hilux and it's an excellent motor loads of room and comfy and with the right tires on it's just as good off road and doesn't have much less ground clearance than the rover it just feels like it cos of the lower seating position

• 1 year later...

Vitara diesel ,web

Great wee truck and gets me anywhere I need to be, not bad for room and the windows are low enough for shots from the truck, cheap to run and service it myself, boot is a handy size when all the seats are up and drop a blood try in when stalking and it's well big enough with the seats down in the back,

Just had a set of injectors replaced and a full service and cambelt £ 980 All in, well chuffed and long may it continue,

RSC

Got a polaris ranger 6x6 800 EFI does 40 mph The long travel suspension soaks up the bumps no end, has plastic polethyne type doors if the weather is too rough 2 wheel drive, four wheel drive and 6 wheel drive, I like it BUT if you get stuck you are stuck.(have to get a ground spike for the which it has too) Been stuck just the once due to floating on the mud. Got out with some planks a shovel and loose straw we were carrying on the back. You can get prpoer heaters for them. Farmer loves it as it doesn't mark the ground much. He was using it for fencing the other week and went places he couldn't go as the tractors make too much of a mess. Oh and it carries a ton euro pallet size.

• 1 month later...

I have a Disco on mud tyres as my daily drive, gr at for leaning out of the windows and all the creatures comforts it comes with. Downside is I can't take advantage of the height as the sunroofs are too small to stand up out of. My shooting parter has a Subaru forrester which has the best sunroof for shooting from, 2l petrol is nice and quiet. Downside is it's only on A/T's so doesn't go everywhere the TD5 will, however we have a quad for that as it tears the ground up much less than either car.

I find that my trooper serves me well enough room for dog and any gear I have very good off road specially with insa turbo special tracks on it! I also have a winch fitted but rarely used for self recovery. Having the the 3.1 engine is abit on the loud side but don't feel that this has effected my chances. I've also purchased another that I'm gradually gone modify

Have not seen anybody mention a Mitsubishi Pajero or Shogun MK2 .I have got one imported it from Japan They have got the biggest sun roof of any 4x4 stand up in the back seat foot well and you have got a brilliant shooting platform also to shoot from the wing mirror is also good have shot thousands of rabbits of that mirror, we have a plague of rabbits at moment ,It is my Foxing lamping vehicle also use for every day use mud tyes fitted go anywhere .Down here in Cornwall it goes in those muddy broccoli fields no problem,mind you when i get home got to get pressure washer out ha ha .had it 4 years now passed every mot as never let me down and the chassis is like new not bad for 22 year old.Anyone down this way is more than welcome to come for a trip shooting rabbits and fox

I find that my trooper serves me well enough room for dog and any gear I have very good off road specially with insa turbo special tracks on it! I also have a winch fitted but rarely used for self recovery. Having the the 3.1 engine is abit on the loud side but don't feel that this has effected my chances. I've also purchased another that I'm gradually gone modify

good soild cars. engines are noisy compared to todays diesel 4x4's. but there very reliable and more then enough room for kit etc.

Archived