Best motor for lamping/hunting?

breachloader

I currently have a Toyota Hilux which has been great for lamping and deer stalking for several years, but I am thinking of a change.

What do you guys think of the Defender 90 as a lamping, shooting, stalking motor?

A guy I know has a lifted 110 pickup and the seat height is so very much higher then mine he can see far more over the ditches as we drive around the countryside looking for charlie.

I considered a lift for mine but I don't think even then that I will come close to matching his height as the best I can manage is around 7 inches (2 inch suspension, 3 inch body and 2 inch tire).

He is at least 12 inches over me as it is.

What do you guys think and what vehicle do you lamp with yourselves?

Cheers.

Breachloader

I'm the opposite way round, I'm just selling my TD5 Defender and getting a hilux. The Defender is probably the best off road vehicle around but the major problem with a landy is the total lack of room in the cab and the new defenders are even worse.

But like you say those extra 12 inches make all the differance!!!!

Have a car and then an Sj or sammy for lamping. Cheaper than a quad, the doors come off and the wind screen folds down, lift kits are pounds rather than 100's.

As much as I love my 110, I have to agree totally with AndyBrock, the size of the cab is a joke. Once in the fields I have my rifle carried on the rfile rest I have fitted outside the cab. I had a Hilux but found it poor offroad, Might be worth looking at a Fourtrak, reliable, more than capable and a roomy cab

i got a cheep daihatsu sportstrac,got some chunky tyres on and cheep to insure,costs my a small fortune in fuel.keep meaning to put a roll cage around te out side so i can take the back off for lamping

I've got a toyota pick up for my every day motor but for lamping we use a kobota rtv 900 in real tree cammo looks good, a mate made me a frame for the back of it with a seat and a good solid rifle rest on the root, foxer sits on back and rabbiter sits in front shooting off the bar I had welded across for a rest, real good for sitting out on as well as it blends in so well. Also got a disco with lift out sun roof big shooting platform on top and kitted up for off road, off road tires,winch,lift kit,rock sliders, lamp kit in roof ect ect ect. My mate has just brought a 8 wheel Argo cat as well in case we have heavy rain again few mods to do on it but its looking good :)

I've got a toyota pick up for my every day motor but for lamping we use a kobota rtv 900 in real tree cammo looks good, a mate made me a frame for the back of it with a seat and a good solid rifle rest on the root, foxer sits on back and rabbiter sits in front shooting off the bar I had welded across for a rest, real good for sitting out on as well as it blends in so well. Also got a disco with lift out sun roof big shooting platform on top and kitted up for off road, off road tires,winch,lift kit,rock sliders, lamp kit in roof ect ect ect. My mate has just brought a 8 wheel Argo cat as well in case we have heavy rain again few mods to do on it but its looking good :)

Now theres a reply that needs photos

Be very careful off excessive lifts as it will spoil the handling dramatically!

You also need to be aware that once lifted you will probably need castor correction (steering wanders all over) and maybe double cardon joints on your props, UJ's don't like awful angles and may disconnect or lock on extremes.

Not something to be taken light heartidly if you still want reliability and use it for other aspects. You will inevitably make your vehicle less versatile or less of a compromise (which is what the manufacturer tries to do) but it depends on what you want.

Depends on how far on road and how rough off road. Not a fan of 4x4 's lamping they can do as much damage as the vermin and once off set against the disturbance its often better to walk. towing an argo, quad etc is always a worthwhile consideration for deer recovery etc often meaning the 4x4 is hardly needed in true off road situations other than driving on tracks and parking up

I agree with Kent - a quad or even a mule type side by side light utility vehicle makes a lot less mess than any 4x4.

My wonky Chinese quad will go anywhere my SII Landrover will, and leave a lot less marks doing it!!

I am looking for the best do it all motor really as it will be my every day motor too.

The hilux is excellent for general use and in six years has not had a single problem.

I just wish it sat a little higher on the road.

I didn't consider how the lack of space in the defender might wreck my head at other times too. well spotted.

However without resorting to getting a Transit van or an actual Lorry, what 4x4 has the highest unaltered seating position so?

Patrol, Disco, Defender, G Wagon ???

I am looking for the best do it all motor really as it will be my every day motor too.

The hilux is excellent for general use and in six years has not had a single problem.

I just wish it sat a little higher on the road.

I didn't consider how the lack of space in the defender might wreck my head at other times too. well spotted.

However without resorting to getting a Transit van or an actual Lorry, what 4x4 has the highest unaltered seating position so?

Patrol, Disco, Defender, G Wagon ???

I reckon a Disco will fit the bill, get a decent set of all terain tyres on it and you should get the best of both worlds! I wouldn't go for the newer models of the disco wayyyyy to many electrics and expensive repairs.

Ι have a Landcruiser and it is superb for both shooting (and I am left handed) and as an everyday vehicle. As for breakdowns, what's that????. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet....

Your more than welcome mate but il have to send off my phone to yours as I can't down load them just pm me a number if you want to see them, and feel free to stick them on post for other to see if you like ;)

Your more than welcome mate but il have to send off my phone to yours as I can't down load them just pm me a number if you want to see them, and feel free to stick them on post for other to see if you like ;)

Be very careful off excessive lifts as it will spoil the handling dramatically!

You also need to be aware that once lifted you will probably need castor correction (steering wanders all over) and maybe double cardon joints on your props, UJ's don't like awful angles and may disconnect or lock on extremes.

Not something to be taken light heartidly if you still want reliability and use it for other aspects. You will inevitably make your vehicle less versatile or less of a compromise (which is what the manufacturer tries to do) but it depends on what you want.

All been done mate as the truck is used only for lamping, sits in the shed all the other time.

I agree with Kent - a quad or even a mule type side by side light utility vehicle makes a lot less mess than any 4x4.

My wonky Chinese quad will go anywhere my SII Landrover will, and leave a lot less marks doing it!!

Must admit I agree as well the 4x4 mainly gets used for towing the kobota/Argo cat around to different farms, we had a trailer made just for the job they fit on perfect and get well strapped down. 4x4 gets more use in the harvest when we have large amounts of ground to cover.

+1 om WSm post plus the landy will make the night interesting when it breaks down

I reckon the ultimate lamping vehicle would have to be a Merc Unimog, high vantage point, plenty of ground clearance, go virtually anywhere, might be a touch heavy on fuel but a great shooting platform!

Ι have a Landcruiser and it is superb for both shooting (and I am left handed) and as an everyday vehicle. As for breakdowns, what's that????. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet....

+1 for the cruiser love mine. Uni mog would be fun though

After many years of shooting with the aid of a vehicle, I have no doubt that the best way is to use a second vehicle which you tow behind you on the main road, then swop to the other for the offroad stuff,

Much of the ground I cover is remote and you can end up miles away from your start point, on 3 occasions I have had bad luck, once the vehicle broke down and twice it has been bogged down, and this resulted in a very long walk to somewhere where I could get a phone signal and get help in the wee hours of the morning,lol.

Having the second vehicle at least gives you somewhere to get to that will get you home and you can come back the next day and sort the problem out in daylight,

One word of advice, if you break down remember to take the other vehicles keys with you when you walk back to it, you feel such a tit when you have to go back and get them :-( lol

I have tried quads and a mule, and the later I have found to be a fantastic bit of kit, great shooting platform and a top speed of 25mph, which is plenty fast enough when your bouncing around on the back .

The cab has no doors and seating position is ideal for hopping out and opening gates and the like. its very stable and easy to manoeuvre, its an automatic transmission which is easy to operate and has high/low ration and also optional 4x4 .

A couple of guys on here have had the opportunity to shoot from it and I think they will agree that it serves its purpose well.

The only down side is that you are open to the elements whilst on the back and if the cab has 2 people in it and it rains, you just hope that your expensive gortex kit lives up to its name lol

Hi,

Buy a cheap Discovery 300Tdi, spend the extra on making it solid, and it will last you a lifetime. Go anywhere a Defender will with the right kit on, loads of room in relative comfort, and won't cost you a fortune when you break it.

I had an old F reg 90 with some big tyres on, fantastic off road and really good for lamping. The big wing mirrors are ideally suited as rifle rests and the flat bonnet acts as a handy bench. Certainly more spacey than newer versions - I'm 6'4" and managed just fine. Now have a disco which is a great all rounder but with standard tyres not good in the mud. Not bad for lamping though. Don't mention the repair costs.....

• 3 weeks later...

Dihatsu fourtrack is hard to beat when properly shod.

I use Defender 90 and a Disco. Disco is far nicer. Probs with Def 90 is that the drivers window is pretty small, makes getting a rifle in and out tricky. The wing mirror is also to tall really for a proper rest, wants to be about an inch or so shorter.

Disco will do anything Defender will, has bigger windows and a more suitable height wing mirror, and its cheaper to buy. Auto gearbox is ideal for lamping and leather heated seats are bliss when it gets cold.

A

Archived