Powders powders powders! or lack there of - suggestions please .223 1.725 twist

Brummy Mark

Hi all,Have new rifle on the way 1.725 twist .223 and plan on using heavier weight bullets, minimum weight will be 60gr for which i have some N130 that has worked well in the past.

However Im at a bit of a loss on a powder for bullets 75gr upwards and would appreciate some advice. There is not a lot of choice about locally to me at the moment, have some N133 on hold under a counter.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and knowledge.

Probably grab any powder thats going at the moment??,,,,,,,,seriously for your heavies 69g and up get some vit 140 or 540 you should find either will give you results your looking for,,,,,the 540 will give you some more fps if you need it,,,,,,I,m a VIT man so cant spec any other make but suggest you look at a burn chart and look for close matching,,regds Onehole.

Mark-Brian Fox says he will have TR 140 next week as I telephoned him today-in the powder burning chart Vit N140 is the nearest to Varget which I have used for many calibres.tr 140 and Vit 140 are pretty near to each other I believe.Obviously if experimenting with a new powder start 10 %less as a safety margin.regards Richard.

iv been using H4895, varget, N135 in an AI223 im still experimenting with N135 at the mo ! it seems to be a bit dirty leaving sooty marks on neck and down the case a-bit ! but some of the groups have been good ! but H4895 is the best so far so might go back to it ! but then theres N140 ! never tried it but might !

i used N133 for my 223rem and that gave fantastic accuracy with light 50-55 grainers ! also H335 was good accuracy but very fast burning ! seemed hotter than N133 but cheaking my burn charts it looked the same from memory ! or even slower ! but compairing it to 133 it was HoTTer !

Thanks for the advice so far, where have you lads been getting the TR140 from please

Brian Fox has plenty of TR 140 and a hundred-weight (seriously) of Vit 140 - I know because I did my back in lifting it!

Brian is in dock at the moment but he should be out soon.

GPimp thanks for the heads up on the powder, i did speak to his wife on Thursday morning and she said he had gone in to hospital. Ill give him a call this week and see about going up to get some, thanks.

Gunner , Cheers for your feedback on powders, yes tried all of those with lighter bullets, settled on N130 as accurate load, that rifle now gone and back to the start with loads for new barrel and heavier bullets. Soot down the side of your cases? I had some sooty necks with virgin Lap Match brass, but disappeared once fire formed.

Archived