Would you expect a rail to come with screws or not? - Other Sporting Rifles - UK Varminting

UKV Topic Header Banner (sys)
Photo

Would you expect a rail to come with screws or not?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jcampbellsmith

jcampbellsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Interests:Stalking, AW, RCO.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

I phoned up Third Eye Tactical early last week about a rail for my Remington SA in 260 Rem. They had a rail in stock but don't supply screws. So I got an EGW rail with screws included and fitted it myself. 

It seems daft to me to sell a rail without screws to attach it. Any comments?

Regards JCS

UKV Topic First Post Banner (sys)

#2 1967spud

1967spud

Shoot it.Reload it.

• Global Moderator
  • 6,540 posts
  • Interests:F Class and Long Range
    Shooting, Reloading and
    messing about on You Tube....
    Oh and now bench rest 100yd, 600yd
    and 1000yd :)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

i suppose they work on the principle that if they domt send any they cant send the wrong ones

Shoot it ....Reload it !! Here

#3 1967spud

1967spud

Shoot it.Reload it.

• Global Moderator
  • 6,540 posts
  • Interests:F Class and Long Range
    Shooting, Reloading and
    messing about on You Tube....
    Oh and now bench rest 100yd, 600yd
    and 1000yd :)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

i suppose they work on the principle that if they domt send any they cant send the wrong ones

Shoot it ....Reload it !! Here

#4 oaken

oaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Was shooting in quarries :-/

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

Yes it does seem daft but when asked about this, they told me that they have had problems with people mashing barrel threads with the forward screw. Also if the screw hits the barrel thread, it will not tighten the rail down.

#5 Orka Akinse

Orka Akinse

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

Near manufacturing supplied screws to me with their rail but there use came with a note in the packet with so many caveats there use was pointless.  My action also needed drilling and tapping.

I for one support Third Eye in their policy, a person can wreck an action trying to fit a rail, far better to get a smithy to do it especially if there is any drilling and tapping to be done and he will/should have the correct screws.  Sensible risk mitigation in what is a very litigious society if you ask me.

#6 ejg223

ejg223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Varminting, stalking, fishing

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

And ...if a smith orders a rail? will he get some screws?

What is one supposed to do with a rail without screws? Go back to the rail manufacturer and ask for screws?

We now send out a set of action screws with stocks that have a mag system fitted, so that especially the mainland European customer doesn't have to search around for 1/4x28 screws.

By the way does anyone know where one can buy 6/48 screws with flat torx heads? say around a thousand.

edi

#7 brown dog

brown dog

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Not issuing screws is insanity

What is one supposed to do with a rail without screws? Go back to the rail manufacturer and ask for screws?

We now send out a set of action screws with stocks that have a mag system fitted, so that especially the mainland European customer doesn't have to search around for 1/4x28 screws.

By the way does anyone know where one can buy 6/48 screws with flat torx heads? say around a thousand.

edi

100% agree. Not issuing screws is insanity. Full 'risk mitigation' would be simply not to sell anything.

"I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor food; I offer only hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death.

Let him who loves his country with his heart, and not merely with his lips, follow me."

#8 gunnery

gunnery

Advanced Member

• > Member
  • 1,198 posts
  • Interests:compitition shooting ftr and long range tactical shooting as well

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

edi

edi try a company called brabbin and rudd or websters based in wigan have a look on www. just an idea they sell all types of engineering screws

#9 palo

palo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I would expect screws with my rail so I wont be buying from thirdeyetactical.

#10 caerhays sniper

caerhays sniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Shooting and Dog training

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

I had a third eye tactical 1 fitted by a smith.my mate just ordered 1 and has sent it back because they wouldn't supply screws such a.shame as they are great rails

#11 ejg223

ejg223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Varminting, stalking, fishing

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks Gunnery.

edi

#12 baldie

baldie

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 5,021 posts
  • Interests:Rifles, shotguns, beer and shagging.
    Oh, and dogs.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

The problem is that No one knows of a screw manufacturer in the UK that makes these screws. I have to get mine from Brownells. They aren,t cheap, and are rarely available these days, due to the current US situation.

I have them in stock to fit the Remington at £10 a set of four. 3 long, and 1 short so the barrel thread doesn,t get damaged.

www.valkyrierifles.net

#13 bradders

bradders

Advanced Member

• > Yellow Riband
  • 1,128 posts
  • Interests:The art of the Black Rifle

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

The problem is that No one knows of a screw manufacturer in the UK that makes these screws. I have to get mine from Brownells. They aren,t cheap, and are rarely available these days, due to the current US situation.

I have them in stock to fit the Remington at £10 a set of four. 3 long, and 1 short so the barrel thread doesn,t get damaged.

Even then they're not necessarily the right length depending on the thickness of the rail.

I've got a couple of the Brownells selection boxes. Very handy, but it's always the common ones that get used up first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users