squirrel eating

45 minutes ago, Reloader54 said:

skinning and old male is like pulling the tread off a tractor tyre:P

I chuckled, bravo.

Squirrels; my old boys dog isn't keen, that's enough of an indicator for me to steer clear,  as he considers some other pretty nasty xxxx as delicacies ;s

I sneaked a squirrel into the slow cooker when the wife was making a chicken stew, and was at work.

I took all the meat off just before the wife returned and mixed it in. It Fooled the Mrs and kids, as it was white meat very similar to chicken anyhow. Everyone thought it was great! (Which it was!) Until i told them...

The kids were fine about it, but it took a few days for the wife to come around....:(

She was just as uninterested when i cooked a Pheasant stew a few months back. Until she tasted it. Now shes hooked! She's a typical, 'Doesn't meat grow off sheets of polystyrene wrapped in cling film type. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, chaz said:

I sneaked a squirrel into the slow cooker when the wife was making a chicken stew, and was at work.

I took all the meat off just before the wife returned and mixed it in. It Fooled the Mrs and kids, as it was white meat very similar to chicken anyhow. Everyone thought it was great! (Which it was!) Until i told them...

The kids were fine about it, but it took a few days for the wife to come around....:(

She was just as uninterested when i cooked a Pheasant stew a few months back. Until she tasted it. Now shes hooked! She's a typical, 'Doesn't meat grow off sheets of polystyrene wrapped in cling film type. :rolleyes:

Brave! My other half would cut my nuts off if she found out I'd done that ;p

I sneaked some venison into a beef stew once.

The lad loved it. He asked what is was, so I said "its what your Mother , calls me "

He said to the wife "don't eat it..its arsehole" :D

Squirrel is good. All I use is the back legs, just roll them in flour and fry them, quick , easy and tasty. Kentucky fried squirrel.

I have asked several people to try them without telling them what it is, and they have all liked it. Apparently prepared squirrel is selling for £8 a time in London.

I did squirrel in a stew , with wood pidgeon and rabbit thrown in . It was very nice from memory haven't done one since but plan on doing squirrel and rabbit on the bbq this summer:) hopefully my taste buds haven't changed lol... Your lucky if you have reds , the blasted greys pushed em out . 

Do reds taste better than greys :D

In all serious, no greys over here. Just reds but no one eats them and few shoot them.

Have eaten crow, fieldfare, jay before, all good.

Crow actually similar to grouse. Drew the line at gulls and fox.

58 minutes ago, Toby said:

Do reds taste better than greys :D

In all serious, no greys over here. Just reds but no one eats them and few shoot them.

Have eaten crow, fieldfare, jay before, all good.

Crow actually similar to grouse. Drew the line at gulls and fox.

reds are protected. [endangered species ] http://www.rsne.org.uk/squirrels-and-law

I grew up eating squirrel. The region of the US I lived in had really large, heavily bodied grey squirrels we hunted with .22's in hardwood groves. We would lightly brine them and either stew or fry them. No one ever complained.~Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I grew up eating squirrel. The region of the US I lived in had really large, heavily bodied grey squirrels we hunted with .22's in hardwood groves. We would lightly brine them and either stew or fry them. No one ever complained.~Andrew

Well of course they would be bigger in the USA,,,, is this you? 

giantsquirrelshotandkilled.jpg

I guess you need one hell of a pan to fry that up.:P

is  this you??

images (2).jpg

Genius 

9 hours ago, Reloader54 said:

Well of course they would be bigger in the USA,,,, is this you? 

giantsquirrelshotandkilled.jpg

I guess you need one hell of a pan to fry that up.:P

is  this you??

images (2).jpg

Naw! That's one of those scrawny reds. The greys are MUCH bigger.

Not me but I like the pan.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived