The new Valkyrie rifles action. "Valhalla"

Beautiful looking actions, but the "barley twist" fluting spoils it for me,...are there options on the type of fluting Baldie?

Can you "Tuftride" bolts and actions on customers own rifles, and is it a very expensive process?

Regards.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can have a lighter, slower helical twist, or straight flutes, diamond flutes, or none at all.

If you call in at the stand at the show this weekend [if you are going ] all permutations will be on display.

Tuftriding is available on anything, but its not cheap. As with most chemical refinishing, the companies like to do a job lot. A single bolt costs the same as a dozen, so you need to have enough to send in one go to make it reasonable.

Here's the finished rifle.

Valkyrie Valhalla action , Bartlien barrel chambered in .22Br.

20 MOA rail, stainless bolt ball, and bolt fitted has the camlocks and tuftrided finish.

IMG_1472_crop_zps0f7341d0.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsfdacab9b.jpg

Stock is a Robertson tactical, fully bedded and finished in a double pattern. It has a silver and black flectarn buried in the base layers, to accentuate the silver and black action, then the top coats are silver marble over a black base, overlaid with candy apple red.

8 coats of clear to bury it with a wet flat inbetween each coat.

Dakota arms floorplate that cost one whole kidney....

IMG_1473_crop_zps5b227dbd.jpg

IMG_1476_zps3336760f.jpg

Come and see it at the show.

I will also have the new plain action there too. Pics to follow.

Here's the finished rifle.

Valkyrie Valhalla action , Bartlien barrel chambered in .22Br.

20 MOA rail, stainless bolt ball, and bolt fitted has the camlocks and tuftrided finish.

IMG_1472_crop_zps0f7341d0.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsfdacab9b.jpg

Stock is a Robertson tactical, fully bedded and finished in a double pattern. It has a silver and black flectarn buried in the base layers, to accentuate the silver and black action, then the top coats are silver marble over a black base, overlaid with candy apple red.

8 coats of clear to bury it with a wet flat inbetween each coat.

Dakota arms floorplate that cost one whole kidney....

IMG_1473_crop_zps5b227dbd.jpg

IMG_1476_zps3336760f.jpg

Come and see it at the show.

I will also have the new plain action there too. Pics to follow.

V. V. nice david and what a terrific prize for youre show raffle competition. :P Illl seee you on the sunday make sure you have the kettle on.

Here are some sneak previews of the basic action.

Its stainless steel just the same as the others, but its a basic round action with no frills. No flutes etc, just a good , basic custom action.

It has a sako extractor etc and the only options availble on it are rail type, and bolt knob.

It comes with your choice of rail and a custom recoil lug.

IMG_1484_zpsb640041f.jpg

IMG_1483_zps0665442b.jpg

IMG_1482_zps838ca7c3.jpg

IMG_1481_zps88d728d9.jpg

One and two piece bases in aluminium are included in the basic price of £850 retail.

Stainless one piece rails are extra [tbc]

IMG_1480_zpse489f5ef.jpg

Choice of badger style bolt knobs in two sizes or stainless ball included.

These are available to the trade direct from myself , or to your choice of RFD.

hi baldie , where can i see the actions,your website? (on the net!) as hope fully id like to have another rifle built prob in 6x47 , and £850 sounds about the kinda swag id pay for the build/action ! thanks TIM..

hi baldie , where can i see the actions,your website? (on the net!) as hope fully id like to have another rifle built prob in 6x47 , and £850 sounds about the kinda swag id pay for the build/action ! thanks TIM..

oops didnt ralise there was 2 pages ! seen em now ! sweeet ! wish i ad your job !

• 1 month later...

Finally got out with a box of ammo for the first serious test of the gun.

I decided to go with Hornady A-max in 75 grains and Varget powder. Using data off the 6mmBr website, i loaded up a few rounds starting at 27 grains and going up to 28.5. I though that was the max and stopped. Only when i checked again did I realise the max is 29.5.

The gun shot well from the off, regularly putting 3 out of 5 in one hole, but losing the other two slightly. However, as with a lot of cartridges, the groups started to really shrink as the load got hotter. These were the hottest two, and there were no pressure signs whatsoever. I,m going to go the full grain extra, and then play with seating depth. These were 0.010" off.

IMG_1501_zps03642b0c.jpg

IMG_1500_zps9cc22bc2.jpg

Once i have a good load , i,m going to swap the bolt. This bolt has no cam locks. Its brother has [identical headspace] and that should prove a good test of whether the cam locks make a difference in this particular case.

This would be a lovely bench gun had it been in a more suitable stock. The bolt lift is so light its unreal.

Trigger was set way too heavy and i,d no allen keys with me , but it shot lovely....one of them guns that just feels "right".

Not even hooked the chrono up to the gun yet PC.

I,m a firm believer in looking at the groups, not the figures on a chrono.

I,ll wait until i,m happy with the load, then run it over the chrono to see what figures i have to set a ballistic chart up with.

• 2 weeks later...

Been out with some more rounds this morning, taken up to book max for this bullet, and it would stand some more....no pressure signs. It appears it likes them slightly closer to the lands, these were 0.005" off. May try it on the lands next time. Anyway, this is an average group from this morning.

reddevilgroup_zps1388cb68.jpg

I personally dont think this bullet will get much better, and plan to try some Bergers at some point, plus the experiment with the other bolt. Either way, producing regular groups of this quality proves the gun to me personally.

Been out with some more rounds this morning, taken up to book max for this bullet, and it would stand some more....no pressure signs. It appears it likes them slightly closer to the lands, these were 0.005" off. May try it on the lands next time. Anyway, this is an average group from this morning.

reddevilgroup_zps1388cb68.jpg

I personally dont think this bullet will get much better, and plan to try some Bergers at some point, plus the experiment with the other bolt. Either way, producing regular groups of this quality proves the gun to me personally.

The Amax range seem to give high two,s and low three,s in the calibres I have used most of the time but have rarely seen better,,,,,ok for my applications generally speaking but look to Berger etc etc to pull in better.

Lovely rifle ,,,,,,perfection!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

forgot to ask today baldie are the odins heat treated before or after machining ?

i was hoping youd say that , cheers ...

• 2 years later...

John Carr turned up at Diggle last weekend with two versions of his latest action - they look and feel great. One was a repeater, the other single-shot.

If you want to see one - and all his other actions - John will be at the Northern Shooting Show next weekend.

Archived