Sako 75 w/ AW mag ?

ChrisF

I have been thinking about how a Sako 75 would work with AW 10rd mags , wether or not it would be a viable conversion or not .

Any one have both a AW & Sako 75/85 mag to see how much the differ , and if it is close enough to being able to work .

Later Chris

Not sure the conversion would be viable Chris due to the double ramp of the AW as opposed to the single ramp of the Sako.

Maybe AICS would work, ive a couple of 75's here I can look at....

The reason , I was asking is both the Sako & the AW are double stack & double feed mags , even my Badger 2008 has one feed ramp , but its wide enough to use both AICS & AW mags etc .

Some one needs to make a alloy bottom metal for the Sako 75/85 to use the AW mag , or Sako needs to make cheaper longer mags ?

Which do you think is most likely to happen , Sako/Beretta lower mag prices OR some one make a reasonable bottom metal ?

YEAP , I am not betting on Sako/Beretta .

Later Chris

Looked at an AI AICS mag last night under a 22-250 Sako 75 im re-working.

The AI mag fits into the 75 mag inlet perfectly.

The addition of a small retention depression in the AI mag would enable the mag to be held.

Pity I havent an AW mag lying around to try....

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Away at work at the min but will post some pics when home. Its quite self explanatory from the pics.

I replicated the "locking Tab" for want of a better word from the Sako mag and tack welded it to the front of the AI mag. (A spot welder would be better but I do not have one)and then messed about with the feed lips until it fed reliably. I must confess that a mate of mine finished fettling the lips as I just didn't have the time and no longer had a 75 to keep trying the mags on. Once one was working it was easy to copy the angle of the lips onto a second.

It could do with a little more fettling I think as its a little stiff in ejecting the mag from the action but that's me being very critical, In all honesty its better a little stiff than sloppy.

King regards Bob.

Looks great.... That could be an solution.

But...... Mine is in caliber 6.5x55 (action IV), and far as i know the AW 10shot magazine is only in "short action"?

I'll try to extend an original magazine together with my gunsmith-friend. If it works i'll post som pictures.

//Boryx

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The 2 x Mags I originally converted are still going strong. 
No issues at all.

Mine could have looked better if I had a spot welder, but a buzz with the Mig Welder and a quick clean up served the purpose. 

Good to hear that you are having a go at something that “apparently” can’t be done 😁

Kind regards,

Bob.