Lightforce vs Tracer

adam.box

Let me know what you fellow lampers think please:

I have recently bought 2 Tracer(Deben I think) 170 lamps. Within 8 weeks they have both become defective at the connection point/electrics with the cigar lighter in my truck. Has anyone else had these problems and has any one used the original Lightforce lamps as a comparison? Im getting fed up with £70 every few months.

Illuminate me please.

ATB

Adam

Let me know what you fellow lampers think please:

I have recently bought 2 Tracer(Deben I think) 170 lamps. Within 8 weeks they have both become defective at the connection point/electrics with the cigar lighter in my truck. Has anyone else had these problems and has any one used the original Lightforce lamps as a comparison? Im getting fed up with £70 every few months.

Illuminate me please.

ATB

Adam

Lightforce every time, tracers are wannabe copies IMHO.

i think you know the answer.i have a 170 lighforce thats been going for 8yrs now i changed the connectors as soon as i bought it to suite the batteries i have i have 2x 140s one is scope mounted the other is with the dimmer fitted these have the connectors to suite.

I have to say that I have had problems with my old lightforce 170. The pigtail lead has broken by the lamp handle and again by the plug. To be fair, this may have been caused by the way the lamp was orinally packaged in the box, but I still think the lead is vulnerable where it exits the handle. I think this may have been changed now. It is also a very heavy lead and can be noisy on quiet nights.

I would prefer a DIN type connector on both lamp and battery pack. Far more positive connection. The cheap cigar plugs have a tendency to come loose if you have to move about.

Another point is the amount of bleed you get from the filters.

I have now started using Vetwrap round the filter to stop this. Cheap and effective.

An anti spill kit may be handy - and something else to spend your dosh on........

no experience of tracer lamps but had a lightforce for 7 or 8 years. changed the battery plugs for flymo type plugs not long after i got it, saves water getting into the crappy fag lighter plug and you dont have to worry about it pulling apart when you really dont want it too. regards david.

Guest richness

I'm most impressed with my Cluson kit and also their very helpful technical department. Theyh ave offered me excellent and impartial advice, plus made me a custom lead for free

I have to say that I have had problems with my old lightforce 170. The pigtail lead has broken by the lamp handle and again by the plug. To be fair, this may have been caused by the way the lamp was orinally packaged in the box, but I still think the lead is vulnerable where it exits the handle. I think this may have been changed now. It is also a very heavy lead and can be noisy on quiet nights.

I would prefer a DIN type connector on both lamp and battery pack. Far more positive connection. The cheap cigar plugs have a tendency to come loose if you have to move about.

Another point is the amount of bleed you get from the filters.

I have now started using Vetwrap round the filter to stop this. Cheap and effective.

An anti spill kit may be handy - and something else to spend your dosh on........

I found this a problem too with my scoe mounted Lightforce 170, flick the switch on the dimmer and no light, then checking one of two connections for tight connection. Are the Flymo plugs simple to source?

Rerdaing the anti-spill, I ordered one of these after some frustrating nights out with the light bouncing off the moderator. I'm still waiting for it to arrive but at £22.02 posted I cant complain, and looks like it'll tick all the boxes.

Glad someone bought this up I'm having issues at thee moment with my light force scope mounted lamp. I can't see a bloody thing through it.... reasons?

I dont know whether its some sort of black spot or what but bugs the hell out of me! P.s. jack plugs are usually the best connections. I chop all line of and a quick visit to maplin pick up some bits and bobs sorted!

Hi All,

I've used several scope mounted Lightforce lamps over the years and consequently have a big box of bits. There is an especially flimsy plastic tab that the elevation adjustment bears against, switches burn out and cables snap where they go into housings. An electrician friend of mine was kept busy changing cables and connectors. More recently I have used a Cluson Shoot-a-lite, generally the reliability has been good and the lamp itself is compact, easier to carry when the rifle is slung and less likely to get knocked out of alignment. The weakest part of the Cluson is the filter system that permits a bit of light spill,

Alan

I've used both the tracer and the lightforce and I have to give it to the lightforce as the light distribution is far superior, this I think is down to the quality of the reflector. mind you, I did have to change the connector inside for more heavy duty ones. I use it with an orange filter as its less common that the red, lets out more light and is better in mist. I also use a dimmer so I can turn the light right down to barely see the foxes eyes (after I have identified it) as I call him in and track him through the scope, then turn up the lamp which stops him and BANG... lights out.

pcon

Cheers Sandy, that looks good. Just want a hood for my Masterlight now! It's an absolute pig when there is a T8 in front of it......

Many, many years ago we tried using a road cone to make a hood when lamping with lurchers. Different lights and battery packs now, thank God!

Cheers Sandy, that looks good. Just want a hood for my Masterlight now! It's an absolute pig when there is a T8 in front of it......

Many, many years ago we tried using a road cone to make a hood when lamping with lurchers. Different lights and battery packs now, thank God!

I simply put a black sock over it it absorbs the light instead of reflecting back in to the scope.

DSC00262.jpg

One of the main selling points of the Deben lamps was supposed to be upgraded wiring and switch gear. Other than that they are pretty bloody close to a Lightforce. I have had loads of trouble with the LF lamps and wired heavy duty plugs etc in to peoples vehicles. I expect the Tracers to be much the same.

I simply put a black sock over it it absorbs the light instead of reflecting back in to the scope.

DSC00262.jpg

Nice picture :D I didnt have a sock handy, other than the one's I wear..... I had tried some black cloth but this probably too smooth and was simply wrapped around the mod, as you say a matted black sock may be better. I'll give it a try whilst I'm waiting for the neoprene halo. I was okay provided I kept the mag at x5 or below, but anywhere between x5 - x10 blurred most out upto the the horizontal lines of the cross hairs.

Hi folks, a few say they are having bother with light reflecting of your mods back into your scope. A simple solution I found was to mount the lamp as far back on the scope as possible the get one of those flip up scope covers for the objective lens put it on the scope leave it vertical and add a bigger shaped piece of dull black plastic to the back of it to stop the light reflecting off the mod. It took me a few try's to get the size just right so start big and cut down as required until it stops the reflection and isn't to bulky. As for anti spill device get an inner tube which is a real tight fit over the lamp and cut yourself a section of tube about 8", stretch it over the lamp housing about 2" and then go out lamping and trim the 6" overhang down to what suits your needs, works a treat! Hope this is of some help, Simon

DSC00262.jpg

Ha Ha Ha now that made me smile top rifle, top scope top lamp.... but it all comes down to an old "sock" to make it all work :lol: made my day that.

[

Aote]

Lighter sockets are NOT designed for continuous use, they can melt if you shove 8 amps through them, ( 12V - 100W) . DIn sockets are the only way, most can handle 12 amps constant.

On the lamp issue I use 170s and a 240, for a single lamp user then I would go 240 rather than 170.

Light reflecting back into the scope, I found mod covers no good at all, a flip up scope lens cover in the up position does the job fine.

A

I found the neoprene cover on my T8 doesn't make any difference, still get white out.

However, not a problem with my ASE, which has no cover.

I found that too. Think i'll try the sock!! :lol: Cluson don't seem to be getting much of a look in here? I find them excellent. Every single part can be ordered if broken so you don't have to replace the whole thing. My mates Blazerlite is phenomenally bright and he also has a dimmer with it. Mines the budget GL6 but i can't really fault it.

Archived