Anglo Custom Rifle Muzzle Brake

Thought I’d just put on a quick photo review of the Anglo Custom Rifles Muzzle Brake for any of you who may be interested:

In all the pics, I’ve compared the Anglo to the TRG brake.

ACR brake infront, TRG behind:

DSCN1853850x638.jpg

Unlike the TRG brake, the Anglo is calibre specific (and therefore more efficient on smaller calibres) ….and about an ounce lighter.

DSCN1856628x650.jpgDSCN1857504x650.jpg

We’ve had a few chats on here about muzzle brakes; normally about ‘quietness’ and ‘efficiency’.

Muzzle brakes work by redirecting gas flow; as I’ve said before in those chats, the gas motion and recoil reducing effect is best viewed as ‘billiard ball bouncing off a cushion’ rather than ‘rocket jet’.

Muzzlebrakesnip2.jpg

As such, 90 degree blast plates offer optimal reflection.

muzzlebrake7.jpgSlide2-7-1.jpgSlide2rotated2-1.jpg

For this reason I’ve always been a fan of the TRG brake (and brakes of the ben cooley design).

[i’ve never understood the concept of a quiet brake, but I think Dave (Baldie) made a great point when he pointed out that perhaps vais-type brakes are perceived as being quieter because they distribute blast around 360deg, but plate brakes tend to be more directional (and therefore appear louder to those on either side of them) but I digress…]

The TRG brake, whilst being in my view the best brake design on the market, has one drawback: it’s available in any size you want as long as that’s 338.

So when visiting the Anglo Custom Rifle stand a few gamefairs back, my eye was caught immediately by Gavin’s take on the TRG design.

The calibre difference is obvious here:

DSCN1849750x602.jpg

I now see the Anglo as something of a 'TRG Plus'. I’ve put one on my 6.5x47. It's immaculately made and, in terms of effect, I now liken my rifle's recoil to an air rifle (that's probably a bit of an exaggeration :rolleyes: , but I've found that spotting my own fall of shot is generally not a problem). I thoroughly recommend it :)

DSCN1853850x638.jpg

DSCN1847750x629.jpg

Archived