6mm-6.5x47

6.5shooter

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what sort of velocities this cart can do with a 105 amax?

Just wondering how much more it will do over a 6br.

I dont like pushing things to the absolute max so would 3100 be practical accuracy load or is it more like 3000fps.

Garry

With the 105's I get 3000fps with 39gns N160 without pressure signs.

I have got upto 3150fps with N160.

Waiting for better weather to come to try out reloader 17 which promises more velocity for less pressure.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I have a 6.5x47 and was wondering if id gain anything but it sounds like id be splitting hairs really.

Would you say its worth the effort over the 6br? How would accuracy compare over distance?

Thanks

Garry

I have a 6Br also but for long range i feel the 6x47 has a real edge.

I use it for short range F class out to 600 yards and it acheives the performance without having to drive the 6Br overly hard.

Used it at 1000 yards and it shoots real well but for comps i reach for the 7mm which does it all much better.

6x47 makes a great varminter with 105 A max and have had great results with it.

Personally i feel it a better option than its 6.5 parent but thats just my view.

Cheers

Dave

I have a 6Br also but for long range i feel the 6x47 has a real edge.

I use it for short range F class out to 600 yards and it acheives the performance without having to drive the 6Br overly hard.

Used it at 1000 yards and it shoots real well but for comps i reach for the 7mm which does it all much better.

6x47 makes a great varminter with 105 A max and have had great results with it.

Personally i feel it a better option than its 6.5 parent but thats just my view.

Cheers

Dave

I am following your footsteps

My 6x47 lapua shoots really well at 600 but I am not pushing it at all

N160 37.2 grain and I stopped

Mv around 2910 with very little spread

At most 10-15 fps

1 in 8 lilja throwing 105 Berger hunt (foxy had it in stock) that's all

I am happy with the way it groups at 600 so no need to push more

I sense there is a higher node around 3900

Will also try reloader 17 when weather is warmer

Just a matter of interest how many moa do you actually need to get to 1k ?

Had also 6 br but what I can say is that you are pushing it's upper limit whilst 6x47 have a lt more to come

Thanks for youre input fellas.

Just trying to decide wether or not i will gain anything over the 6.5 version.

Currently using it for target with scenars but not sure wether to load up 6.5 amax for a but of longer range varminting or get a 6mm version for varminting.

Decisions decisions.

Garry

• 3 months later...

I am following your footsteps

My 6x47 lapua shoots really well at 600 but I am not pushing it at all

N160 37.2 grain and I stopped

Mv around 2910 with very little spread

At most 10-15 fps

1 in 8 lilja throwing 105 Berger hunt (foxy had it in stock) that's all

I am happy with the way it groups at 600 so no need to push more

I sense there is a higher node around 3900

Will also try reloader 17 when weather is warmer

Just a matter of interest how many moa do you actually need to get to 1k ?

Had also 6 br but what I can say is that you are pushing it's upper limit whilst 6x47 have a lt more to come

Hi folks

I have been away for a few months due to a family berevement

Manage to try out Reloader 17 last week

6 x 47 Lapua H4350 37.3 grain ES 10 2910 fps

R17 41.4 grains ES 08 3246 fps

No pressure sign on both loads

Just under 23 M.O.A. to get to 1K !

Going to collect my 6BR and start playing with it in a few weeks

i use 115 grn bergers and d-tacs that both shoot great in 6x47 lap i use h4350 to get 2900fps but the last few months i am using r17 to get great accuracy

i am getting 3000fps now es 7 sd 3 and good ballistics

i use 115 grn bergers and d-tacs that both shoot great in 6x47 lap i use h4350 to get 2900fps but the last few months i am using r17 to get great accuracy

i am getting 3000fps now es 7 sd 3 and good ballistics

The speeds you fellas are getting are pretty impressive using reloader 17.

Im currently getting one of my rifles barreld in this cal to shoot 105 amax purely for varminting.

What kind of accuracy are you fellas talking about? What sort of size groups at 100 and 600 yards?

Did you notice youre groups open up much using reloader 17 and is the speed gain enough to counteract the maybe slight increase in group size vs the wind cheating ability downrange?

Just wondering as some people say their groups arent as good.

Regards

Garry

my 6x47 is the only rifle that r17 worked the accuracy is as good as h4350 ,its a .250 in rifle at 100 yds ,i only shoot mines out to 800 yds max

What sort of size groups at 100 and 600 yards?

Regards

Garry

I am not a particularly experience varminter rather an amateur plinker

I find that accurate loads at 100 does not mean it will perform out to say 600

I now do load developments starting at 200 or further and finishing it out to as far as my land permits which is 840 yards safely

At Century holding 3 inch in the wind shot after shot is not an issue with both loads but dropping anything after that is down to the nutter behind the gun. I never bother measuring groups at century but I know how many v bulls there are.

I prefer the faster node that's throwing 41.4 grains of R17 at around 3240 fps using 105 VLD

I get similar groups at the lower velocity node of 2950 fps but with wind there are more fliers.

Sight detour but 6br vs 6x47....

Anyone tried RL17 in the 6BR with heavier bullets ? I've been menaning to test for a while but not had chance.

I'm running 105 Scenars at 2700 with Varget from a 24" barrel , from Quickoad numbers 2900 seems possible with RL17.

I use RL17 in my 6.5Nem to drive 140's and it is incredibly consistent but it seems to be borderline in 6BR even with heavy bullets.

Tony

Going back to the original question, there's a simple rule of thumb you can use to easily compare cartridges of the same calibre. Take the change in case capacity / charge weight for the optimal powder(s) as a percentage and divide that by four to get a percentage change in MV. Using QuickLOAD water capacities for the 6.5X47L case against the 6mm BR the former is listed as 48gn compared to around 37.8gn for the BR, a 10gn or 26% increase. Divide 26 by 4 and you get 6.5, so you could expect that percentage increase give or take 1% by moving up from 6BR to 6X47L. So if you get 2,900 fps now from a 105 say, you should get around 190 fps additional MV, or getting on for 3,100 fps. I haven't checked out what people claim for the 6X47L, but this rough and ready guide is usually very close. It assumes other factors remain the same of course - barrel length and approximate maximum chamber pressures used. It also requires 'normal weight' bullets to be used as you'll likely get skewed results with abnormally light of heavy examples, such as moving up from a .30BR to .300RUM loading a 110gn bullet. If you don't have access to QuickLOAD, use the optimal charges for the two cartridges from a loading manual or forum posts for the favoured bullet weight.

Archived