brass is tight when extracting

Guest Scotland Rifles

Guest Scotland Rifles

just thought i would ask the question here.

i have been waiting for my new extractor from the USA, so i had a look at the brass.

the brass in question is 3 times fired, full sized and i have attached a case showing the area thats tight.

whats your thoughts please.

thank you

bob.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4719/20tacbrass.jpg the area where the arrow is pointing is where i have some marks that i think are where the case is getting held tighter than normal ??

post-622-1280156231_thumb.jpg

post-622-1280156257_thumb.jpg

Looks like your die is not down far enough to bump the shoulder back. Sure you have the right shell holder? While some shell holders can be used for cartridges not designed, they have a different thickness (especially between brands). That can cause the die to not screw down far enough to bump the shoulder, or conversly, bump the shoulder too far (don't ask how I know this, I have a box of .308 cases that have signs of case head separation due to this... :rolleyes: ).

Does the cartridge chamber easily? Usually the cause of tight extraction of a fired case is not on the shoulder end of the case. (n a good chamber) Usually it's the rim-breechface-extractor areas. What is the issue with your extractor that it's replacement is enroute?~Andrew

Guest Scotland Rifles
Looks like your die is not down far enough to bump the shoulder back. Sure you have the right shell holder? While some shell holders can be used for cartridges not designed, they have a different thickness (especially between brands). That can cause the die to not screw down far enough to bump the shoulder, or conversly, bump the shoulder too far (don't ask how I know this, I have a box of .308 cases that have signs of case head separation due to this... :rolleyes: ).

Does the cartridge chamber easily? Usually the cause of tight extraction of a fired case is not on the shoulder end of the case. (n a good chamber) Usually it's the rim-breech face-extractor areas. What is the issue with your extractor that it's replacement is en route?~Andrew

thank you Both

i had the extractor break last week, but i do not think it was down to the case being to tight, i think it was just old age/usage, it is a mini mauser action of a few years old and has most likely seen a few rounds in its day.

what i plan to do is clean a unfired case to the point that there are as little marks as possible and then load it with the normal load and fire it to see what happens.

i have noticed that the odd case is a tad tight on the way in once fired, so i will look at that as well, the other thing about the chamber its a good one mate it was done by Neil at mckillop rifles and he is one top man.

i will have to wait until the new spares have come from the states()sometime this week~)

bob.

The shiny area on the shoulder/body junction is where the brass has stretched Bob. It needs the shoulder bumping back. Get a body die, the full length sizer may not do it.

Guest Scotland Rifles

will get a body die dave (when i have some free dosh, and see if its better.)

Tight extraction is also a sign of over pressure is it not ? What are the primers like on a fired cartridge ?

primers are spot on now i have adjusted the strike from the firing pin on the mauser action. and the brass all looks ok no signs of pressure.

Dakota brass running 25.1gr of rl10x with cci sr primers. pushing a 40gr hornady Vmax.

bob.

Guest Scotland Rifles

Well lads all sorted.

I fitted the new extractor today and had a wee bit of work to do on it, but it seems the symptoms of the brass being tight on extraction was down to the damaged old extractor, and me not bumping the shoulder enough.

I have inspected the inside surface of the action to find a score mark left behind form the damaged one, 2 hours taking my time getting the score removed and the new extractor bedded in has paid dividends, just need to sit down and action the bolt in and out a few more times and the .20 tac will be up and running,

all this may have saved me ordering a body die, oops to late its on order at reloading solutions, ordered before the extractor got here from the states.

bob.

Archived