Some thought on various moderators i've used

Guest richness

Guest richness

Having used a few sound moderators, I thought I would offer a real-world opinion of some of them. I’ll try to compare like to like and be fair. Many of you on here will find nothing of interest here but as people ask about mods all the time, i thought there no harm in sharing my experiences:

A lot of people like strippable CF moderators but it bothers me not a jot. The thought of cleaning centrefire mod fills me with horror as to whether I’ll lose my poi etc. and I do not know what the advantages of cleaning them are. And I can never get them undone anyway. On an HMR, maybe it is rather more useful as they get full of nastiness rather quickly unlike CF mods which seem to run too hot to foul.

I’ll be comparing quite a few Cf mods and a handful of rimfire ones.

People like the T8. It is cheaper than some and has a good reputation. It is an ugly thing but simple as simple gets. I have found these to be pretty poor until recently. The thing is, and we will certainly be mentioning this again, the EXIT hole is very big. Perhaps this affects the moderation as my experiences of them on smaller calibres is average. Get one for £100 secondhand and it will be fine but it isn’t the holy grail of mods in my opinion. However, I tried one recently on a 6.5x47 and I swear it was a revelation. It was the big magnum version and we all took the mickey as it was on as fine a custom rifle as you’ll ever see….and we all shut up right quick when we heard it. Just a TING and…me looking surprised. So I would not now discount them on larger cals.

I have come to realise that the muzzle cans offer no disadvantages over the over-barrel versions bar one. That being that they are longer. WRT moderation, I have been stunned by muzzle-cans as often as I have been disappointed by enormous drain-pipe size over-barrel ones. My advice would be to think very carefully before discounting the end of barrel versions like the CQB and PES LMC.

The CQB I have found to be the most fit and forget medium calibre mod one could want. I have yet to find anything much better in cals like 243. Lightweight mod for stalking rifle? Look no further…We’re talking significantly better than a T8 and at half the size. Amazing things. BUT they’re a fortune. I bought a PES LMC (large muzzle can) for £150 once and have never sold it. As good as the CQB, solid steel construction…excellent excellent mod if you can handle a mod a little bigger and are prepared to have it rethreaded if your barrel isn’t ½” UNF. Give these serious thought. I used mine on my 243 shooting stiff loads and 105amax and it made this cool “sniper in the movies” kinda TUUMF noise…:D

Talking of PES, I had a T12 big over-barrel one once and that was lovely and brought the weight back nicely. I didn’t compare it to much else so can’t comment on it apart from the quality of construction being very nice.

I came to DM80 mods by chance as my mate was selling a .22 one. This was the up-until-recently Mk2 one and it was calibre-specific .22max This was the first time I’d had a small-exit-hole mod and maybe that was why I found it so good. No real boom, just TING.

It seems that having the right exit hole is key. I know that you can only push it so far but go as small as you can providing the barrel thread is professionally cut and perfect (as opposed to factory-done and pointing off somewhere random ) My DM80 was “22max”. My moderator was never bettered by another. I’d try sometimes my PES LMC but that had a much larger exit hole for my 243 and there was more crack when it was used on the small 20cal (but it didn’t do that on the 243)

My friend’s 20cal-specific Predator P8 was used a lot when I was using my DM80 Mk2 and that was a good enough mod that we didn’t notice every shot it being louder, which was not the case with my mate’s 223 shooting a T8, which was not in the same league.

The next step up from the DM80 on my 204 was when we used a 17REM with the latest MK3 DM80 on with .17 specific exit hole. My lord it was like an HMR! We remain stunned by how well that moderator works.

So when I ordered my latest MK3 DM80, I asked for the very tightest exit-hole possible and now my 20cal mod is “.20max” only. It won’t even stretch to 22.

And it is remarkable. Better than before. Same cal and load but even quieter. Boom is very very minimal and there is a kinda PHUT and away  I can hear the ting of the RPA’s firing pin.

If you compare ordering a calibre-specific mod to say just buying a standard T8, there is an enormous advantage to be had.

This lessens in the larger calibres.

But in something like your classic 223, get a .22max mod and you will notice the difference.

If money is tight, you’ll be hard-pressed to beat the £175 PES LMC, especially in 6mm+ cals.

All in all, I look no further than DM80 now. Cal-specific, strippable if you feel the need, not too heavy, great-looking and good prices can be had if you ask around.

Rimfire: This section is somewhat shorter as I have only tried a few.

On 22lr I have found that, compared to the SAK, the Scirocco 2 is better. With subs you’re talking about a fairly small noise anyway, like with air rifles; the margins here are much smaller than on centrefires.

I did side by side tests and the Scirocco had the edge for sure over the SAK. It also seems to be nicely built, strippable and sturdy. It is a muzzle can like the SAK, about the same size and price too. Worth a look if you ask me.

The DM80 over-barrel 22lr mod is a bit more money and it is as good as the Scirocco, which is to say you can’t really get much quieter with subs than the little phut they normally make with a decent mod. So i wouldn’t necessarily rush out to buy one for the sound moderation advantages. What i really like is how much shorter the rifle is with a DM80 on; it must cut 4inchess off the length. They also look wicked, all tactical :) Stripping is s a cinch (and probably worth having as rimmies are so filthy) I’m delighted with mine and i bet it’ll work a treat on my hummer too.

Nothing definitve; just a few notes for you all to chew over. There are forums where i’d get flamed to death for these opinions but here it should only warrant civilised discussion :)

Having used a few sound moderators, I thought I would offer a real-world opinion of some of them. I'll try to compare like to like and be fair. Many of you on here will find nothing of interest here but as people ask about mods all the time, i thought there no harm in sharing my experiences:

A lot of people like strippable CF moderators but it bothers me not a jot. The thought of cleaning centrefire mod fills me with horror as to whether I'll lose my poi etc. and I do not know what the advantages of cleaning them are. And I can never get them undone anyway. On an HMR, maybe it is rather more useful as they get full of nastiness rather quickly unlike CF mods which seem to run too hot to foul.

I'll be comparing quite a few Cf mods and a handful of rimfire ones.

People like the T8. It is cheaper than some and has a good reputation. It is an ugly thing but simple as simple gets. I have found these to be pretty poor until recently. The thing is, and we will certainly be mentioning this again, the EXIT hole is very big. Perhaps this affects the moderation as my experiences of them on smaller calibres is average. Get one for £100 secondhand and it will be fine but it isn't the holy grail of mods in my opinion. However, I tried one recently on a 6.5x47 and I swear it was a revelation. It was the big magnum version and we all took the mickey as it was on as fine a custom rifle as you'll ever see….and we all shut up right quick when we heard it. Just a TING and…me looking surprised. So I would not now discount them on larger cals.

I have come to realise that the muzzle cans offer no disadvantages over the over-barrel versions bar one. That being that they are longer. WRT moderation, I have been stunned by muzzle-cans as often as I have been disappointed by enormous drain-pipe size over-barrel ones. My advice would be to think very carefully before discounting the end of barrel versions like the CQB and PES LMC.

The CQB I have found to be the most fit and forget medium calibre mod one could want. I have yet to find anything much better in cals like 243. Lightweight mod for stalking rifle? Look no further…We're talking significantly better than a T8 and at half the size. Amazing things. BUT they're a fortune. I bought a PES LMC (large muzzle can) for £150 once and have never sold it. As good as the CQB, solid steel construction…excellent excellent mod if you can handle a mod a little bigger and are prepared to have it rethreaded if your barrel isn't ½" UNF. Give these serious thought. I used mine on my 243 shooting stiff loads and 105amax and it made this cool "sniper in the movies" kinda TUUMF noise…:D

Talking of PES, I had a T12 big over-barrel one once and that was lovely and brought the weight back nicely. I didn't compare it to much else so can't comment on it apart from the quality of construction being very nice.

I came to DM80 mods by chance as my mate was selling a .22 one. This was the up-until-recently Mk2 one and it was calibre-specific .22max This was the first time I'd had a small-exit-hole mod and maybe that was why I found it so good. No real boom, just TING.

It seems that having the right exit hole is key. I know that you can only push it so far but go as small as you can providing the barrel thread is professionally cut and perfect (as opposed to factory-done and pointing off somewhere random ) My DM80 was "22max". My moderator was never bettered by another. I'd try sometimes my PES LMC but that had a much larger exit hole for my 243 and there was more crack when it was used on the small 20cal (but it didn't do that on the 243)

My friend's 20cal-specific Predator P8 was used a lot when I was using my DM80 Mk2 and that was a good enough mod that we didn't notice every shot it being louder, which was not the case with my mate's 223 shooting a T8, which was not in the same league.

The next step up from the DM80 on my 204 was when we used a 17REM with the latest MK3 DM80 on with .17 specific exit hole. My lord it was like an HMR! We remain stunned by how well that moderator works.

So when I ordered my latest MK3 DM80, I asked for the very tightest exit-hole possible and now my 20cal mod is ".20max" only. It won't even stretch to 22.

And it is remarkable. Better than before. Same cal and load but even quieter. Boom is very very minimal and there is a kinda PHUT and away  I can hear the ting of the RPA's firing pin.

If you compare ordering a calibre-specific mod to say just buying a standard T8, there is an enormous advantage to be had.

This lessens in the larger calibres.

But in something like your classic 223, get a .22max mod and you will notice the difference.

If money is tight, you'll be hard-pressed to beat the £175 PES LMC, especially in 6mm+ cals.

All in all, I look no further than DM80 now. Cal-specific, strippable if you feel the need, not too heavy, great-looking and good prices can be had if you ask around.

Rimfire: This section is somewhat shorter as I have only tried a few.

On 22lr I have found that, compared to the SAK, the Scirocco 2 is better. With subs you're talking about a fairly small noise anyway, like with air rifles; the margins here are much smaller than on centrefires.

I did side by side tests and the Scirocco had the edge for sure over the SAK. It also seems to be nicely built, strippable and sturdy. It is a muzzle can like the SAK, about the same size and price too. Worth a look if you ask me.

The DM80 over-barrel 22lr mod is a bit more money and it is as good as the Scirocco, which is to say you can't really get much quieter with subs than the little phut they normally make with a decent mod. So i wouldn't necessarily rush out to buy one for the sound moderation advantages. What i really like is how much shorter the rifle is with a DM80 on; it must cut 4inchess off the length. They also look wicked, all tactical :) Stripping is s a cinch (and probably worth having as rimmies are so filthy) I'm delighted with mine and i bet it'll work a treat on my hummer too.

Nothing definitve; just a few notes for you all to chew over. There are forums where i'd get flamed to death for these opinions but here it should only warrant civilised discussion :)

Who stocks the DM80 and can it be used on a centre fire eg. 204 ruger

Guest richness

Um, yes. Dm80 are made by a chap called Dabe Mercer who is dm80 on the Airgunbbs forum. They are officially stocked by decoying.co.uk

He makes a 22lr over barrel, a 17hmr overbarrel, one that swaps between the two. CF-wise, a 17specific small over barrel and a full range of Calibres/threads etc for all other CF calibres.

As I said, I have the latest 20cal one on my latest 204ruger and it is so good that you can hear the firing pin

Guest Scotland_Rifles

Um, yes. Dm80 are made by a chap called Dabe Mercer who is dm80 on the Airgunbbs forum. They are officially stocked by decoying.co.uk

He makes a 22lr over barrel, a 17hmr overbarrel, one that swaps between the two. CF-wise, a 17specific small over barrel and a full range of Calibres/threads etc for all other CF calibres.

As I said, I have the latest 20cal one on my latest 204ruger and it is so good that you can hear the firing pin

got to say that i have been using daves mods for a few years,

i have had both the mk1 and mk11 on both my 22lr and 17hmr, i had one of his on my 223 and sold it with the rifle i then had one with a 243 and sold it to my best mate,

well built and so easy to strip clean and service, build quality is second to none,

a top mand and very busy,

bob.

had a couple of Dave's mods the new and old model .17 cal dm80 on my hmr. there very good. a friend of mine had cf dm80 on his 222 and again that was superb. for the performance v cost. and build is also very strong. and should last many many years if looked after.

i hear the pes mods are good but heavy and they look silly imo spoil's the lines of a rifle. shot a 243 with t8 and well there big and ugly they do a very good job.

dave the other lad i go shooting with has a 3rd eye on his sako 6br and it looks class, and does a good job on the noise to. I like the fact its very well built and at very good price.

my fave is the ase though. i love there fact there small compared to the over barrel mods. the cqb does a cracking job on the 22/250 solid build also. and I like the fact you can have the nut in the back changed if you got the newer model one. as some of the old model ase mods was fixed back.

as bob says though there not cheap. but you cant have everything

I had a T8. They are rubbish. I sprayed WD40 in it after every outing and even gave it a couple of diesel baths to try and wash some of the crap out. Make sure you dry it thoroughly if you do this though.

After 18 months it rotted through on the inner tube. It even damaged the barrel of my rifle where the hot gasses flame cut the blueing. I must admit it did have a lot of rounds through it (mainly .223 though) in that time but I would have expected better.

I now have a Wildcat. Its 3 years old and still going strong and has had far more rounds through it.

My advice is DON'T get one that you can't strip to clean and strip it fairly regularly. I spray wd40 down it after every use and strip it after every 100 rounds or so. The advantages of having one that you can strip is you can clean all the crap out preventing the mod from corroding as fast or at least you will be able to tell when it is about to fail before it damages your rifle. If you can't strip it, it is because all the crap has caked it up and it needs stripping and cleaning more often. I don't enjoy cleaning my rifles or my mod but it is a necessary evil. I’d rather clean them than have to buy a new mod every 18 months.

There was another thread running on here about POI changes due to mods as a result of harmonic changes to the barrel. All the residue building up in a mod will change the harmonics of the barrel so cleaning it out thoroughly and regularly will keep things more consistent.

Brugger and Thomet are the RR of moderators with price to match.

Very good attenuation on the #1 ear.

I had one on a B&T APR1 rifle for a month or two on test a few years ago, impressed with it but they are heavy...

I,ve got a Wallis and Gromit on my .260. I,m pretty sure it was meant for a .338, the exit hole is big enough, and its left hand threaded to go on the AI muzzle brake which is on the gun. L/h threads usually denote large cal/military.

Even on such a sub calibre as the 6.5 , its the quietest moderator i,ve ever heard, and to be honest, i wouldn,t have anything else now, despite the price.

Andy is right though, it weighs a ton.

Don't discount the Jet-Z, I've had one on my rifle for years after getting fed up with the problems the T8 has, sound suppression is excellent and it still looks as new as the day I bought it.

• 5 months later...

I know people have issues with the T8 but I can't fault mine.

Once washed it out in hot soapy water but gave up on that idea as it is a pain to get empty and dry. Quick squirt of wd 40 after long strings or out in the rain and all is well. It never lives on the rifle in the cabinet and the POI doesn't change when it is refitted. This is on a 308.

Would I buy another, I have now had two, not sure. Quite fancy the stainless T8 idea or maybe something a bit lighter.

Im looking for a mod for my 204 and would like some more info on the mk3dm80.

Have they a website ?

What I would like know is the length and weight of the mod and also the price.

Also have a look at the Third Eye Spartan with the calibre specific baffles.I tested one a couple of weeks ago and it takes some beating ;)

Archived