Third eye spartan moderator.

I aquired a Third eye Spartan moderator a few months ago from Craig at Third Eye Tactical. Craig is becoming very well known in gunsmithing circles for a ready supply of the very finest parts and accessories available for rifle builders. I personally use his recoil lugs, brake blanks , moderators and rails. He has an eye for detail that only a shooter has. I have parts made by various cnc manufacturers, but they are engineers, not shooters....and it can be hard work with them. Not so with Craig...a shooter and fine engineer.....a recipie for sure success.

Anyway, the cunning plan was to fit it to a .30 carbine that had been on order for too long. It was cancelled and a s/h one aquired. I whipped the old brake and thread off, and recut the barrel in 5/8" x 18 UNF.

In several years of fitting into the hundreds of moderators, i have never fitted one as concentricly made as this one. It is absolutely spot on. The internal threads are beautiful, and fit perfectly on a Gauged muzzle thread, with no tightness, or unneccesary slop either...just right. The rear bush is a doddle to bore on a jig, as its again, perfectly concentric to start with....something that cannot be said for the vast majority of mods and their threads/bushes.

In short, an absolute joy to fit from a gunsmiths perspective.

Mine is a .30 cal. The internal brake bore was around .325" [ if i remember correctly ] That is obviously close to the bore size. This leaves no room for error in sloppy screwcutting, but it does mean the mod is ultra efficient. It also means they need fitting by someone who knows what they are doing.Not a mod for your garden shed butcher.

Component parts. The baffles are a high grade aluminium, with a stainless steel insert for gas cutting effects. There are four baffles, and the end cap is a part baffle also. These are a nice snug fit in the body tube, and interlock, in any order with each other. Then you have a spacer, and then the rear tube which houses a brake, and the rear bush.

IMG_0540.jpg

As you can see, the mod comes with a 3 peg tool to assemble/dissasemble it with....a lovely little thing in itself, and a sign of the whole package quality.

IMG_0541.jpg

This is the stainless brake which houses the internal thread that connects to your muzzle.

IMG_0542.jpg

Fitted to the .30 carbine.

IMG_0557.jpg

Its a dirty job......someone's gotta do it..... :D

Off to the range, and a half hours fun after the mcQueens today.

I was running some lead 115 grain bullets through it at around the subsonic sound barrier. I was most impressed. All the gun was doing was making a "whop" noise, and the real sound was the smack of the bullet in the sand.....very much like a subsonic .22 on a rabbit, but on a larger scale.

The mod is very efficient judging by the amount of crap inside it from 30 rounds.Admittedly thats with pistol powder and lead loads, which are always dirty things. Next step is with 110 grain fmj,s at around 1500 fps. These will crack like any other fullbore, but i expect the mod top perform well with these too.

First impressions ?

No different to my buggered ears than any other mod out there, but just as quiet, and seems to reduce more of the high pitched noises that some do not. Signature is very similiar to a jet- z or other heavy steel cans....very, very dull, and dead. Remember this was tested inside a range hut....not the best place for comparisons really. It wants firing out in the fields or moors.

However, you dont have the weight. Dont know what it weighs, but it has to be one of the lightest on the market, and would be my first choice for a hunting rifle.

Its beauty in my eyes is the astounding quality of manufacture, the only other mod out there made to such tolerances are the quicksilvers, and they are a different kettle of fish, and different market.

In the short time these mods have been out there, they are quickly becoming everyones favourite.The retail price is around £210 and the mod is available in allsorts of thread sizes, as well as being either a reflex type [like this one ] or muzzle mounted if you prefer. I,m taking more and more orders for them, and infact, i,m pushing them in front of any other, purely because of the quality , back up, and ease of fitting, plus they are made in Gods own county , by a Yorkshireman....What's not to like ? :D

+1 on all Dave says regarding the Spartan Mod and products from Third Eye Tactical.

Top guy to deal with and top drawer products.

I own a Spartan myself, several who have seen mine in action have ordered from Craig.

This speaks volumes IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Hi all new to the forum and was sent here by someone saying Baldie had done a review on the mod. I am looking for a mod for a 223 and it was between the P8 and the spartan, so which 1 out of the 2 would you go for?

Without doubt the Spartan :)

Can I ask why?

Smaller,lighter and quieter than the Predator which can be finnicky unless you get the calibre specific baffle stack.The stainless brake is another bonus but not essential for a 223

If you held the two mods side by side you'd see the quality difference for two products around the same price bracket

It speaks volumes when traders who can supply several types of mod use a certain make themselves :)

tha baffels in my P8 are faily well coroded after less than 350 shots!

where the bullet exits the mod there used to be a a white bit of oxidizing which over time has rotted the exit hole out of shape!

ill be in the market for a new mod soon!

cheers ANdy

You can buy direct from Craig, or any shop that sells them. Be warned, your muzzle thread must be absolutely perfectly, square and concentric [you would be amazed how many aren't ] because the third eye mod is made to such tight, exacting tolerances, that it will not allow for sloppy muzzle threads.

I personally like to thread the barrel i fit them to, then i know its right. Things like tikka,s and sako,s are usually good to go, but "factory" threaded remmy,s etc can sometimes be a bit iffy.Make sure you use a reputable gunsmith to fit it, as no moderator manufacturer will guarantee a product against bullet strike, due to sloppy threading.

There is no comparison between a spartan and a predator.

The spartan wins in every department.

• 7 months later...

Hello All,

anyone using a Spartan on a 6.5x47? I have a Laurence precision on my .270 that I was going to double over onto the new rifle, but to be honest, the Laurence is light and neat on a stalking rifle(why I bought it) but the sound suppression on it is crap! Part of the problem I feel is because although it was supposed to be purpose built for a .277 calibre bullet, the hole down the middle is bigger than on the .30cal JetZ compact I had before. The Spartan's only done up to 6mm (too small) and then up to 30cal(too big?). Any feedback greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scotland_Rifles

got mine with the new tikka and well please,

nice touches,

may i suggest the third eye put some internal packing in and on the tool as my front end cap has marks from it when in transit, i took the mod as the seller took a couple of £'s of for me and i needed a new mod, other than that cracking bit of kit.

it will be on show at the club and when out shooting this weekend

bob.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my new Swiss Arms SHR970 out to play fitted with the new style Spartan moderator.

There is a big change in the baffle design. The stackable baffles now have multiple vent holes in the sidewall.

The unit stripped and clean very easily.

Im not sure what I was expecting to be honest, which is a great way to evaluate with no preconceptions.

Basically I have gone from a remmy 700 Police .223 (not the PSS but a 'proper Police model) with a wildcat mod with a 22 baffle stack, to a much lighter weight gun with a medium fluted sporting barrel and a Spartan mod.

On firing the initial thoughts were that there was no tinny metalic noise, no real high level crack, more of a mid level boom, then thwack as the bullet hit the target. Recoil reduction was pretty good - It was better than the Pred 8 on my heavy 700 Police, and this being tested on a lighter rifle.

So all in all a moderator that is well built and does a good job on a lighter weight rifle in both the sound recution and the effects of recoil.

Archived